legal default?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

in 2000 i lost my job and defaulted on a loan with black horse.

is there a time limit in which they have to default an account?

it was actually regd on my file in aug 2004.

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Surely though this cannot b correct since if the default was issued some 4 years after the incident the consumer is actually blacklisted for 10 years rather than the statute 6

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

That was exactly what i thought but how can i challenge it legally? If anyone can enlighten me on default regulations and how they have to be executed i would greatly appreciate it

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

A credit file default isn't technically the same as a County Court Judgement.

The credit agencies say it will stay on your file six years from being settled, so it could actually be on your credit file for 20 years if thats how long it took to get it paid off.

The best thing to do is to write to black horse disputing it and asking for a copy of the default notice, if they can't provide it, they have to remove it.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

thanx deemacperth

ive just spoken to them and they said they dont have a copy of the original credit agreement, so therefore no CA, cant be defaulted...yes?

will keep all posted as to what they say in reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the reply today and they have found the original credit agreement and sent it to me. Ive been reading through sarahhk thread on defaults with great interest.

Hopefully i can have it removed now coz the agreement is terminated and permission to place info on my file is also terminated since the default in itself terminates the agreement.

Think ive got that right.

Got the reply today and they have found the original credit agreement and sent it to me. Ive been reading through sarahhk thread on defaults with great interest.

Hopefully i can have it removed now coz the agreement is terminated and permission to place info on my file is also terminated since the default in itself terminates the agreement.

Think ive got that right.

Please let us know. just because they can produce a CCA agreement, it doesn;t give them the right to put a default on your account.

ig they cannot produce a Default notice (before late 2005, banks tended not to keep a true, signed copy - they have tightened up their act now) then they don't have a leg to stand on. Don't be fobbed off when they try and send you a "template copy"

NEo

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

got this off experian FAQ's about defaults and how long they stay on your file for.

Accounts that are still being used will continue to be held until the account is closed and then for six years after settlement. Defaulted accounts are kept for six years from the date of the default, although the current balance should show if payments have been made since the default or if the account has now been fully paid.

i think then that the default should be removed after six years then, anyone lese have any thoughts or know if this is true?

alexthekid

Yes sounds like removed 6years after the defaulted date.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Neo et al, do you know what specific legislation covers the copy of the default notice, i've been sent a template and told they don't keep original copy. want to make sure I'm confident when I email them again, I don't see mention of it in CCA 1974, but maybe the terms of the Act cover it

ecobabe - have u found the answer to this... check the legalitities sction - there is loads on there :)

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Hi all, sorry for not updating this thread sooner but been really busy with gettin my charges back. Anyway, i got the copy credit agreement from Black Horse.

Then after much reading on here found the template for the alternative approach to default removal supplied by Surlybonds, what a letter!!

(its in the templates library). That was sent on 23-8-06 and requests, amongst other things a copy of the default notice, which i never received. It also gives them only 5 days to comply. Anyway its now 1-9-06 and ive not heard diddly squat from them. Time to complain to trading standards and the ICO me thinks.

This is the letter i sent, take time to read it properly so you fully understand its contents. For my money its brilliant and a whopping thanks goes to Surlybonds for spending so much time preparing it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/24013-defaults-proposed-method-removal.html

Neo, thanks I scoured the CCA and found this,

87 Need for default notice

(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a) to terminate the agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

© to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

I have quoted this to them and stated that since they do not have true copy and I never receievd one then they can't prove it was posted. They have got a continuance and have referred it to their senior partner

• 3 weeks later...

i sent the above letter and s10 statutory notice on 23-8-06. I have not heard a thing from black horse and the 21 days are now up. Should i be taking a trip to the courts with an N1 in my hand?

i sent the above letter and s10 statutory notice on 23-8-06. I have not heard a thing from black horse and the 21 days are now up. Should i be taking a trip to the courts with an N1 in my hand?

As SB suggested .. make the CRA do the work.

Write to them and tell them you are disputing the entry as incorrect. They will then contact Black Horse. Make sure you tell them you have never received a copy of the default notice, and unless they can produce the original default notice they should remove it.

There is some info in this forum about it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks tinkerbelle

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Many thanks

Just a quick question though,

Part of the letter penned by SB asks for a copy of any default notice,should i therefore wait the 12 + 30 days before filing for non compliance of statutory request or does the stat request override this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i rang the compliance dept and spoke to a guy who shall remain nameless.

Heres the text of what i received from them.

Whilst i have noted your assertion that yur data has not been processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act or with your consent, i confirm this is untrue.

I attach a copy of the credit agreement document which you have signed, in relation to which information has been recorded with the credit reference agencies. The data protection: What We Will Do With Information terms on the front of the agreement document you signed, confirms that details of the agreement will be recorded with credit reference agencies. Termination of the agreement does not terminate your authority for us to process data in relation to the agreement.

With regards to the time information relating to this agreement will be held by the credit reference agencies, you have been correctly advised that it will be 6 years from the date of last entry. Whilst this is an industry standard period with which we comply, The Information Commissioners Guidance on defaults also confirms this is the period for which default information will remain on file.

As such i confirm that the credit reference agency records created in relation to this agreement have been in accordance with the Data Protection Act and will not be removed.

Any ideas for what next?

• 2 weeks later...
hi all,

in 2000 i lost my job and defaulted on a loan with black horse.

is there a time limit in which they have to default an account?

it was actually regd on my file in aug 2004.

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

Martin, Did they issue you with a default notice in 2000. ?

If they Did, do you still have a copy of the default notice and how long after the default notice did they close the loan account.

If its the case that they issued a default notice, in say, july 2000 and terminated the agreement, in say, august 2000 then the default date on your credit file would be july 2000.

Lenders have a duty to ensure that information they provide to the credit reference agencies is accurate, so if the foregoing applies to your circumstances then you have a good case to approach the credit reference agencies with a copy of the default from 2000 and insist that they correct the information they hold on you.

• 2 weeks later...

There was no default notice received at all.

They just placed a default marker on my account in 08-2004.

Ive now complained to the ICO and am awaiting their response.

If i get no joy there it will be off to court for not complying with statutory request.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote to the ICO but they have such a backlog of complaints it can take 8 - 10 weeks to get a proper response from them so i also penned another one to black arse. i rang them last week to make sure they had received it, which they had and he also said that he would reply the following day.That was a week ago and heard no more as yet.

My point in the latest letter being that the date of the default is 4 and a half years later than it should be. See if this goes anywhere.