• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Finding it impossible to cancel AOL broadband

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well the changeoverfor my brodband is as follows.

27th August new router and things arrive.

1st September ADSL gets changed over. :D

AOL have no choice about the £30, as I already owe it them, as they will find out when they realise I cancelled the direct debit when they try and debit my account on the 3rd September.

It's worked with OneBill, and Talk Talk, and Paypal, so fourth time lucky with AOHELL too. If you hassle them and complain long enough, they soon give up.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the changeoverfor my brodband is as follows.

27th August new router and things arrive.

1st September ADSL gets changed over. :D

AOL have no choice about the £30, as I already owe it them, as they will find out when they realise I cancelled the direct debit when they try and debit my account on the 3rd September.

It's worked with OneBill, and Talk Talk, and Paypal, so fourth time lucky with AOHELL too. If you hassle them and complain long enough, they soon give up.

Instead of doing that I'd complain through the complaints process and take it to CISAS and you're likely to get compensation which would offset more than the £30. If you only refuse to pay that and don't take it further you'll probably lose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Interesting reading. Ive been trying to get a MAC from AOL for the last couple of months but when I phone up they just try and talk me out of it by offering 3 months free or lower monthly payments (Not biting their service has gone terrible over the last 6+months some days cant even get a connection), got told the last time that their computers werent working properly so she could give me the MAC.

Thanks for posting e mail address on cancelling will be sending email out today.

I had the same problem mate.I paid by capitol one card every month but was being billed 2 or 3 times every month! treid cancelling 7-8 times but they would not listen saying that the monies would be sorted out "eventually!" so my only course of action was to phone capitol one and tell them I had lost my card!..end of problem then they started threatening me with court action if I did`nt fulfill my contract,What they failed to realise is that my contract with them was out of date by about 6 months! I can promise you this BT are not much better!

I can promise you this BT are not much better!

I can second that!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

I have been trying to cancel my AOL account for two years now. It is not even Broadband, but dial up as the account is so old. My bank has sent a number of official letters to AOL and yet they continue to take money from my account every month. My bank has now agreed to treat this as fraud and I am awaiting the outcome. I have had the same problem with Napster who refuse to acknowledge that my bank sent them any cancellation letters.

My advice to anyone and everyone thinking of signing up to AOL is DON'T and whatever you do, please do not give them your credit or debit card details.

Hi

A problem that I had with AOL is that i found it very difficult to remove all their software from my PC

Ben:evil:

Hi people,

AOL are sending me around in circles. For over 2 weeks now I've tried to cancel by email and in writing. Each time I try to cancel I provide what they ask for. (full name, phone number, master screen name, last four didgits of car number used to start the account with) Each time I send the info they reply a day later saying they cannot process my request as I didn't provide the info. They even copy my email at the bottom that contains all the info they are requesting.

This has happened 5 times now, and my written request has been ignored. Can I change ISP without a MAC code? I have a feeling that AOL are just messing me about so I will give up tying to change.

another view....i went from AOL to BT and they have been fine with me so far

(2 years out)

Ben

Yeah, when you work for them what do you expect?!?!?!

BT are one of the worst in anything on the face of this planet. In December I had two business lines installed. They messed up the installation and the promised consecutive numbers. They didn't respond to my threat of legal action, so I sued them. I won in a hearing in July £780.

They still want money for cancellation charges and late payment charges, because I refused to pay because the amounts were in dispute. They were specifically told by the DJ to pay the full amount and not offset any monies, any further disputes can be sorted in new proceedings and are not part of these proceedings - that was the ruling. So they paid in full, and then I paid the amount I admitted owing them of £5.82.

I've told them that as the account [and court proceedings, cheque & all correspondence] is in one my limited company names, there's no credit record that they can ruin, so if they want the money they'll have to sue and I'll vigorously defend it.

If they know what's good for them they won't sue, and I doubt they will after I've knocked them for £780 in a court hearing, that is evidence of their breach of contract - because they'd lose!

I HATE BT! The best name for them is 'British Trouble'!

the major problem with BT is that they are no longer BT!in 1967 they made a deal with some other country to buy their stock of copper..well it turns out the copper they bought was`nt the copper they thought they were going to get. so we ended up with the rubbish they have outside virtually every house in britain today(please note no capital B for britain)

we are ritually being screwed over for £24.99 per month and being told thats the most the line will take when in reality the line will take what ever is being thrown down it!broadband is simply put.a lot of electrical signals being sent at once down the same line!if it was unsafe to do so the government being the idiots they are would ban it immediatley through health and safety legislation.if any one has any other explanation please offer it . I`m no expert but what they are saying defy`s the laws of physics!

in Korea.one of the most poor countries in the world the average broad band speed is 16 meg!go figure!

the major problem with BT is that they are no longer BT!in 1967 they made a deal with some other country to buy their stock of copper..well it turns out the copper they bought was`nt the copper they thought they were going to get. so we ended up with the rubbish they have outside virtually every house in britain today(please note no capital B for britain)

we are ritually being screwed over for £24.99 per month and being told thats the most the line will take when in reality the line will take what ever is being thrown down it!broadband is simply put.a lot of electrical signals being sent at once down the same line!if it was unsafe to do so the government being the idiots they are would ban it immediatley through health and safety legislation.if any one has any other explanation please offer it . I`m no expert but what they are saying defy`s the laws of physics!

in Korea.one of the most poor countries in the world the average broad band speed is 16 meg!go figure!

That may be a problem with the broadband, but my issue - and many other issues I know of - was nothing to do with broadband. I didn't even order broadband.

Don't give them excuses, they don't deserve it! The problem with British Trouble is that they quite simply don't give a damn!

So far so good with the changeover.

Filled in the application online with BT. They called a few hours later and told me the equipment would be delivered on wednesday 27th August (which it did.) And the broadband would be changed over on monday 1st September. The little PDA thing is great too. Tried it out while in town and it has no problem connecting to WIFI at Maccy D's.

While I was at it, I've sent complaint off to CISAS, OFCOM and AOL, about AOL taking two weeks to send me a MAC code.

As a precaution also informed my bank not to let AOL withdraw money from my account on 5th August as my account will be cancelled on the 1st August. I've heard a few stories that they keep taking payments after you cancel. I also confirmed in writing by recorded delivery letter, to make sure I could prove I had cancelled, in case of any problems at a later date.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

So far so good with the changeover.

Filled in the application online with BT. They called a few hours later and told me the equipment would be delivered on wednesday 27th August (which it did.) And the broadband would be changed over on monday 1st September. The little PDA thing is great too. Tried it out while in town and it has no problem connecting to WIFI at Maccy D's.

While I was at it, I've sent complaint off to CISAS, OFCOM and AOL, about AOL taking two weeks to send me a MAC code.

As a precaution also informed my bank not to let AOL withdraw money from my account on 5th August as my account will be cancelled on the 1st August. I've heard a few stories that they keep taking payments after you cancel. I also confirmed in writing by recorded delivery letter, to make sure I could prove I had cancelled, in case of any problems at a later date.

CISAS will refuse your complaint at this stage. You cannot complain to CISAS till the business - in this case AOL - have had 12 weeks - yes, 12 weeks - to answer your complaint or sent a "deadlock" - final - letter that is not satisfactory.

Oh well. I'm used to waiting around for things. Filed too many CCA requests and 8 week waits for OFT complaints. So 12 weeks is a picnic in the park of life. :rolleyes:

When it comes to broadband in the UK we all end up paying for a slow, unreliable, and overpriced service, so we may as well go for the one that gives us the most useful freebies along the way.

Make the most of a bad thing. ISP's / Banks....No difference really. But we have no choice when all the options are bad and out to screw you for everything they can.

In the UK we can choose from crap or abysmal. Take your choice if you still have the will to choose anymore. :rolleyes:

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

When it comes to broadband in the UK we all end up paying for a slow, unreliable, and overpriced service, so we may as well go for the one that gives us the most useful freebies along the way.

Make the most of a bad thing. ISP's / Banks....No difference really. But we have no choice when all the options are bad and out to screw you for everything they can.

In the UK we can choose from crap or abysmal. Take your choice if you still have the will to choose anymore. :rolleyes:

Apt statements. Couldn't agree more!

• 2 weeks later...

It's going well so far. Wireless router works perfectly and very easy to set up. Just a username and password and each device connects in seconds. Also got a fun little PDA for free too. Connnection speed is faster than AOL and doesn't drop out every hour or so like AOL did.

My only problem is AOL tried to take payment from my bank account 5 days after my cancellation date. Lukily I kept a copy of both email and written cancellation/proof of posting. So they don't have a leg to stand on. :D

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

OK, bit premature here but when you have 2 months left of the minimum contract period, call 0800 800 030 (customer options team) and ask for your MAC code... This will put them into "offer fuzzybobble all sorts of deals" mode. See what you can get out of them ;)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Just don't bother with AOL. Our internet was shabby the minute we got connected (took them 5 weeks to get it up and running, they were quite happy to take the money at week 4), about 6 months in suddenly our internet goes down. Phone call after phone call to these people (in India) resulted in a heavy phone bill, alot of angry moments and 7 weeks of no internet. We concluded that we are just sent in circles, as they have little to no care about you as soon as you join their bandwagon.

They also tried to take a monthly payment after we cancelled (don't get me started on the issues we had doing that) but I think they got the message it wasn't theirs.

The only reason they had so many customers was the many coasters we recieved throughout the 90's and early 00's.

• 2 months later...
Why on earth would you take up a complaint with a watchdog/regulator?

Would you do the same over bank charges?

Why not hit them with legal action in the County Court?

FP

funkyparott: Some complaints about companies wouldn't succeed in County Court as there is no automatic compensation for aggravation in County Court. However with all Ombudsman schemes you can get compensation.

Also, if the claim is valued at more than £5k, then you save the risk of costs if you take a complaint to an Ombudsman.

I personally prefer court all the way, but do use the various Ombudsman schemes on occasions and consider it wrong to rule them out completely for every case.

Valid points legal pickle.

If you wanted to leave AOL for breach of contact, surely the normal track could hear a case for breach of contract and make an order that the MAC code be provided.

FP

If you are purely seeking an order, and not seeking any monies, then it is EITHER issuing a claim for something other than money [including possession claims] which will cost you £150 to issue and would then most likely go on to the fast-track where costs are awarded OR an N244 Application on Notice which costs £75 and where costs are awarded.

I don't know what you mean by the "normal" track. What is normal? The times I recommend people take on court cases are where they would be below £5k in value - hence most likely small claims track - or are virtually dead cert.

Issuing court proceedings seeking an order, unless it is seeking enforcement of an Ombudsman decision - in which case it is less, and is enforcement, rather than an order you would make - could be more costly for the consumer.

If however you are seeking an order as part of a court claim then you issue for the monetary value, and it proceeds on the relevant track dependent on the monetary value.

Bottom line: If a provider has refused to give you a MAC code because they disagree that the contract has been breached, either find something they have done wrong that reasonably has cost you money - and that they would be liable for - and seek an order for a MAC code and cancellation of the contract in the process or go through their complaints procedure and take it to the relevant ADR scheme.

another problem you will have with AOL is getting rid of their software from your computer - its so invasive

No probs getting rid of AOL's software. Popped a bigger hard disk in my laptop a few weeks ago and reinstalled windows and all the software I use. AOL is now officially dead and buried. :D

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S