Pre-advice note for charges

wildcard898
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I got myself into a bit of a mess a year or so ago and ended up owing Natwest around £3000 (amongst other creditors). I have been paying it off slowly over the past few months with a Payment Plan but had an issue with this when my wages went in a couple of days late and the payment failed.

Since then, Natwest told me that they could not put another Payment Plan in place but that they could arrange a loan to consolidate my overdraft (around £1900 by this point). To cut a long story short, this took 6 weeks to sort out due to Natwest losing my original application and the temporary overdraft limit they had put in place ended 2 weeks before the money went in. Due to this I had several failed payments.

My loan went in on 18/07/08 and everything was going well. I had set up online banking and was monitoring my account daily to keep up to date. To complicate matters, I am also the process of transferring from weekly pay to monthly pay and as such as on an extremely tight budget this month.

A week or so ago, I received my statement including a Pre-Advice note of £28.00 of charges and £15.14 interest to cover the period 05/07/08-01/08/08. I have figured these charges into my budget for the month and should just about be OK until my first full month's pay arrives.

Today, I checked my account online to find that £90 of charges had been applied to my account. I called the bank immediately but was told that they can only tell me that the charges are marked as being for a referral in July and that for more information i'd need to wait until monday when the relevant team will be available.

This £90 blows a big hole through my carefully planned budget for the month and will leave me in real difficulties. Assuming this charge is indeed from July, it should have either been listed in my Pre-Advice note or on the previous month's statement. My question is - do Natwest have any obligation to inform me of any charges to my account before taking them? If I can show that they are not on my Pre-Advice Slip, will they be obliged to remove the charges until my next statement?

Thanks for your help

Clarify with natwest whether this was when the loan paperwork had been lost. If it was ie prior to 18th July 2008, the bank may refund them as a bank error if it has already been acknowledged as such(temporary overdraft. was it continued on?).

They don't have to pre advise referral charges, btw.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf