Bought a car 2 weeks ago (dealer) help needed

Yankeeruinx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I purchased a car (05 Civic Type R) 2 weeks ago from a dealer. Before I bought the car when inspecting it there was a chip in the windscreen and the bumper had a chip in it. I asked if those would be fixed if I purchased the car. I was told they would be so I put my deposit down and then collected the car on the 30th of June. I paid the remaining balance and then went out to the car, they had fixed the bumper but not the windscreen. They said to fix the windscreen as a dealer they would have to replace the whole thing but said if I take it to autoglass they would be able to fix it for free on the free 7 day insurance I got with the car. I took it to autoglass and they said it can't be repaired as it has already been repaired so it would need a new windscreen.

Before I left I noticed the stereo was not working it needed a code putting in it which they did not have and said they would get that for me which they have not.

Also the lever to pull the front seat forward on the drivers side was missing so you can't access the back seats from the drivers side, they said the would order a new part which they have not.

Also I had the Safegaurd paint protection thing put on the car which you should then recieve a pack off cleaning products with which I did not and had to go back and get, which when I got home noticed that some of the products it comes with were missing.

Also a rattel has developed under the car I think its a loose heatshield and the drivers window sometimes gets jammed when going back up.

Before I put any money down they were more than helpful now I've got the car they just don't want to know which is the same with most things.

What rights do I have can I take the car back and get my £10,500 back or will that not be possible now.

Ok I have just been out to test if the safeguard has been put on my car and I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

When the safegaurd is applied on the interior which I have been told it has it should provide a waterproof layer so spillages don't seep through the material. I has just been out and put a little bit of water on the seats and guess what, it soaked straight through didn't even try to bead on the surface it went straight through the material.

So the garage have blatently lied to me on this matter.

Any advice on how to proceed as time is of the essence.

I'd have said that if you have conclusive proof (from someone in the trade, not just your opinion) that the SafeGuard treatment was not done then you have every right to reject the car and get a full refund.

You could mention the other issues incidentally, but I think since the SafeGuard was on the invoice it'd be a pretty hard case for them to fight in court.

Well I have rang safeguard today and they say that its does sound like it has not been applied from what I told them about the water they said if it had been it would not do that. Also I should have a certificate showing that it has been applied with a gaurantee which I have not had.

I rang the dealer today and they said that I would not get a certificate as I had the safeguard done free of charge. I told them that when we were working out a deal for the car they wanted £10500 I told them I would only pay £10000 for the car so they said if I paid £10500 they would apply the safegaurd and throw 6 months tax which would work out at around £500 so really I would be getting the car for £10000 then having £500 worth of stuff done. Plus on the invoice it does say they have applied the safeguard.

They have said I will not be able to reject the car on the grounds that the safeguard was not applied as it was free. I told them when I bought the car the deal was for the safegaurd to be included.

So at first they claimed that they had fulfilled thier contract (as stated by the invoice) and applied the treatment, then backed down from that and offered to apply it (thereby admitting that they in fact hadn't done it and therefore breached thier contract) and give you 6 months tax.

But you've already paid for the safeguard treatment! And to say that it was 'free' and that in some way makes it not part of the contract is utter tripe. Of course it wasn't 'free', it was included in the purchase price of the vehicle!! And if it was 'free', then how can they say it contributes to this supposed £500 worth of work??

And to say 'you don't get a certificate because it was free' is a complete load of baloney too!! They know damn well that they didn't do it and are trying to wriggle out of it.

So all they are effectively offering is the tax, surely?

You really need to have a think about what you want to get out of this negotiation, then speak to a solicitor or Trading Standards as the amount involved will mean that you won't be able to use the small claims route if it goes to court and it could be expensive.

Edited by daKlone