style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our tenancy started in Jan 2007, we checked out last week. We paid a £1000 deposit. We let through a letting agency.

Upon checkout - the inventory turned up several causes of damage that were caused by us, but also many small items that were NOT caused by us. (A different person did the initial inventory than then final inventory) Also - in the final inventory - it was shown that the initial inventory was not 100% accurate and complete as several things (large things such as 2 desks) were not included on the initial inventory.

There were some legitimate damage caused by us which will likely be expensive to repair (damage to hardwood floors, etc.)

If the damage turns out to be MORE than the £1000 paid - what will or can the landlord do? I think our portion of the damage would be £800-1000 but all the other damage listed which is NOT attributable to us, I'm afraid they could come after us for that money as well. If the inventory is shown to be inaccurate in some (obvious) places, will it be assumed to be unreliable overall?

Thanks!

I forgot to add that during the check-out inventory, the letting agent told us that our deposit WAS held in a TDS even though at the time of our signing, it was not required.

Also - this is probably not relevant - but the place has already let to a new family (moving in in a few weeks) who have major plans for renovation and repairs (although not necessarily the parts that were damaged by us). This new family rented the place for 6 months and paid in full up front. So the damage was not so great that it prevents them from letting the property. Again - they do have a right to repairs for damage caused by us - where is the line between "wear and tear" and damage??

Thanks!

- They can come after you for the money if required.

- Did you sign the initial inventory?

- Cannot tell the line between wear and tear and damage without knowing all of the details of the damages claimed.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!