returning to education, how will this effect benefits? Help needed please.

nickismee80
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey ya.. I hope this is in the right place...

Could anyone tell me if benefits are effected if i return to college. My partner works 16-20 hours a week, we receive CTC, WTC, CB, housing and coucil tax benefits.

I have my interview with the tutor later this month, but if our income is effected, there is now way i could do the course, so no point me going to the interview.

I have had a look around the net, but i can't find any site which explains this.

I hope some of you can help me out..

Many thanks

Nicki

Hi nickismee80,

Are you going as a student or an employee ?? sorry that is not very clear.

If you go back as an employee your CB will be unchanged that is standard.

CTC & WTC will have tolerances that you need to be aware of, in this case going above a certain amount could reduce your award. You need to check your award notice to see how and when you need to tell HMRC if your income increases.

Housing and Council tax benefits will be the most likely affected, so you need to contact them to ask how much your potential new income will effect your current benefits.

BB

Edited by BeauBrummie
Words in twice !!!!!

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

I will be going back as a full time student...

So what or who has given you the impression that your benefits will be effected??

BB

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Hi,

I returned to study in 1999 when I was a lone parent on income support, my benefits were not affected in any way, even though childcare and petrol were reimbursed by the college.

I also returned to study (again) in 2003 and worked and this did not affect my benefits either, however I wasn't claiming HB or CTB this time.

Hope this helps somewhat, I think you may need to declare student loan/grant/bursary in the case of HB or CTB but not sure on that one (surely if income has not changed then neither will these benefits).

Out of personal interest, what are you going back to study?

Edited by Chickenlicken

If you are not earning any money at the moment that the benefit awards were based on then I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Happy Learning

BB

Out of personal interest, what are you going back to study?

Im going to study btec 1st diploma in sport, then on to the higher qualification as i want to be a fitness instructor. Im still doubting whether i can do it, im 27, mum to 3.. but i am quite fit and active (train in tae kwon-do) so im hoping the age bit won't go against me.. i can imagine it.. learning with a class full of teenagers!! For once, im glad i still look 17.. hehe..

Anyways.. thank you for all your help.. also, i didnt realise the college could reinburse for petrol etc.. will have to look in to it.

Depending on your qualifications, maybe a National Dip. would be better suited? then Higher National? ND worth 2 'a' levels and a good starting point.

Funding is a grey area as it depends on area & college. With regards to petrol it was through ESF (European Social Fund). There is the £30 learning grant you could apply for from the gov.

Also, a student loan is only available to FT Higher Ed students. I managed to get a learning grant when I did my HNC as wasn't eligible for stu loan because officially it was a part time course.

For 1st Dip. grants maybe limited as you should be able to have the course fully funded anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted!

& btw I returned to study as a mature student too. Best thing I ever did

I have done a 1st dip in public services, but that was 10 years ago.. i got a pass grade, so im not sure if i do have the qualifications to do a national dip.. my GCSE grades are not very good.

Will go to the interview and see what the tutor says.. if i can jump to the nat dip it will save on a year worth of study!!

Sorry to jumb in Nikki, I also thought benefits were affected if you became a FT student!! I was on long term incapacity benefit before i became a student but I stoped claiming once i was enrolled. I study for pleasure as I will never be able to work due to my illness and like you was also a mature student, are people saying i could have carried on claiming!! please say no.lol.

Good Luck!!

Pen x

Edited by Pen

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

CTB,WTC, CT & HB, will not be affected as they are calculated on household income. If you are earning nothing now and continue to do the same then there should be no difference in the amount you receive.

JSA is affected if you return to full time education as you are no longer available for work during the hours you are at college.

Good Luck with the course - maybe you would like to give some tips over here Fitness Health Support Group - Consumer Health Forums

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.