Carphone Warehouse problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A freind of mine signed up for an orange contract with a Nokia 6500 about a month ago. A week into this she had to take the phone back as it would not switch on. It was replaced with a new one. She then noticed that the new one was behaving strangely and intermittently. It would stop receiving cals and texts for hours at a time with no obvious signs of network failure. She took this back to the store and they replaced it again. This replacement phone is displaying the same behaviour.

What should she expect CPW to do about this? Can they keep replacing the same model over and over again if they are all experiencing this fault? Could she reasonably ask for a different handset?

Not entirely sure if this is written in law, but when I used to work for customer services I was aware that there was a definite element of "lost confidence" having had more than one item display the same or similar fault. Should the store not help, I would be inclined to call customer services direct - I wouldnt have thought they would have an issue with changing the handset for a different make/model.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Word of warning here - I had a Nokia with Orange a few years back which I also had major problems with - it would keep cutting off in the middle of calls, switching itself off and on, not recieving calls/texts etc, I went thorugh Orange directly and I happen to know (I used to work for them) after replacing the phone three times they are supposed to give you a different model replacement - an equivalent phone of another make and model.

My phone was replaced SEVEN TIMES one after the other and they refused to give me a different model replacement, so I refused to pay the bill, I couldnt use the phone so therefore I didnt see why I should pay for it... they never chased me for it either :D However, I DO NOT ADVOCATE doing this!!! Just tell your mate to stand her ground and demand either a brand new phone or different model replacement from Orange :D

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

A freind of mine signed up for an orange contract with a Nokia 6500 about a month ago. A week into this she had to take the phone back as it would not switch on. It was replaced with a new one. She then noticed that the new one was behaving strangely and intermittently. It would stop receiving cals and texts for hours at a time with no obvious signs of network failure. She took this back to the store and they replaced it again. This replacement phone is displaying the same behaviour.

What should she expect CPW to do about this? Can they keep replacing the same model over and over again if they are all experiencing this fault? Could she reasonably ask for a different handset?

Redstar,

The Sale of Goods Act definitely covers this situation.

Have a look at this link here: http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

So to answer your query:

Normally you should give the retailer a chance to remedy the fault (repair or replace). Which your friend has done.

If the replacements are not satisfactory then you can reasonably ask for a refund. (Phone is not fit for purpose) They may offer a full or partial refund - given the length of time elapsed I would go for a full refund as your friend hasn't had any benefit from the goods.

Make sure your friend keeps notes that details all contacts with CPW. Names, dates, times etc.

It will almost certainly pay your friend to put things in writing explaining the problem and detailing what she expects them to do remedy the situation.

If they won't play ball your friend can seek damages against them. Your friend should write a letter first and then if they fail to act register a claim on the small claim track in the county court.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------