• Tweets

• I received several letters from J&P which were just ignored, but now I've received the same paploc Eve appears to have. As it stands, I'm looking to complete & reply as per the oft-referenced thread #5. After reading a few comments about ignoring and nothing progressing from J&P side, I'm intrigued whether they were just general 'please contact us type letters' or letters of claim/paplocs?  I realise for some it's a personal decision or based on advice, but given advice on here is not to ignore paplocs, what was the reasoning to ignore? 
    • Afternoon All. I have today received a court order requiring me to send them more details before 16:00 on 8 July. A copy of the order is attached, but the relevant paras seem to be: 2 Send all of the documents that are relevant to your case to the court at the above address, also send them to the other side. Both parties must do this. These documents should be placed in date order and should be numbered in the bottom right hand corner. You should include the following documents if available: •       A copy of the contract/agreement •       Relevant correspondence, including text messages and emails  Photographs Before 4pm 08 July 2024 3 Send to the court and send to the other party your own witness statement and also witness statements from anyone who can give relevant evidence about your case. Both parties must do this. A witness statement must •       have the court case number at the top •       start with the witness’ name and address •       it must contain numbered paragraphs and should be typed and double spaced. If not typed, it must be written clearly in block capitals or printed. •       finish with the words “I believe the facts set out above to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth”, the date of the statement and the person’s signature. The original statement must be sent to the court and copies must be sent to the other side. Before 4pm 08 July 2024 I'm a little confused by para 7 in the order : Because this order has been made by a Legal Adviser without a hearing, you have the right to request that the decision of the Legal Adviser be reconsidered by a District Judge. Any request must be sent to the court to arrive by 4PM 12 June 2024. The request may be made in your online account, by email or on paper. The request must include an explanation of why the reconsideration is sought. Is this normal? Do I have to do anything with this by 12 June? As ever, many thanks    527MC352-claim-direction-order (anonymised).pdf
    • might be your close I’ll check or maybe they stopped giving notice if an adovcate is going to attend because they dont want a reapeat of last time
    • How do I register to vote in the 4 July 2024 general election? | General election 2024 | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Don’t miss the chance to have your say in the vote to choose the next UK government  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

here we go

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:) Welcome ruthieanne,

Did you send the 'Data Protection - Subject Access Request' letter when you asked for a copy of your statements.

As well, and I can see that you joined in June, but if it will help you if you haven't looked already:

Further links in my sig.

mechs :-)

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Mechs

I sent the 'Data Protection - Subject Access Request' letter 16/6/06 and received a bog standard reply acknowledgement, statements ordered and will be sent cheque has been cashed and don't know if I should be hassling them now.

Do the 40 days start from the date on my letter or the date the cheque clears? I keep rereading the faqs and various threads but am assuming that since my letter was acknowledged the time scale is based on my 1st contact.

its good to know there is a wealth of support within this forum:)

Sent the first letter with a cheque, 4 days later i recieved about 22 letters containing statements from the last 6 years. just sending a letter to request the charges back. will let you know.

Sent the first letter with a cheque, 4 days later i recieved about 22 letters containing statements from the last 6 years. just sending a letter to request the charges back. will let you know.

:) Welcome, Daz,

Please start your own thread so we can keep track of it and give any advice and help needed.

mechs

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Mechs

I sent the 'Data Protection - Subject Access Request' letter 16/6/06 and received a bog standard reply acknowledgement, statements ordered and will be sent cheque has been cashed and don't know if I should be hassling them now.

Do the 40 days start from the date on my letter or the date the cheque clears? The 40 days began when they received payment. I keep rereading the faqs and various threads but am assuming that since my letter was acknowledged the time scale is based on my 1st contact.

its good to know there is a wealth of support within this forum:)

It certainly is :)

In progress:

• 1 month later...

well long time no speak

sent my prelim letter claiming back charges of £1,737.98. on 09-08-06 got a letter back saying that they received letter in their specififc dept 15-08-09 and that they will get back to me within 4 weeks... not good enough I think! now the 14 days are nearly up and I am going to send the LBA without any further conversation with them or should I give them a further week if they reckon they only got the letter on the 15th? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

quick update

sent LBA offer of £260 made by halifax now received a default notice for £770

can they do this if they know i'm disputing the charges made?

HALIFAX BANK

DPA SENT 16/06/06

PRELIM REQUEST SENT 7/08/06 £1,737.98

LBA SENT 23/08/06 £1,947.98

OFFER MADE 30/08/06 £260

DEFAULT NOTICE SERVED 5/09/06

just trying to fill in mcol now i have written the following

I have a contract with the defendant bank

since 01-04-99, conducted on their standard

terms and conditions. I am claiming return of money taken by the defendant in way of

charges over the last 6 years and interest

they have levied on the charges. The bank's

charges are a disproportionate penalty, therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts)

Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify charges but they have declined to do so.

The claimant also claims interest under

section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at

the rate of 8% a year from 1-06-00 to

1-09-06 of £1947.98 and interest at the

same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.00022

so if they bank are serving a default saying that I have not conducted the account appropriately and am in breach of the terms and conditions should i be panicking?? the bit at the top of the claim says the 'account

is conducted on their standard terms and conditions' bit concerned about this default business :(

HALIFAX BANK

Data Protection Act SENT 16/06/06

PRELIM REQUEST SENT 7/08/06 £1,737.98

LBA SENT 23/08/06 £1,947.98

OFFER MADE 30/08/06 £260

DEFAULT NOTICE SERVED 5/09/06

I was under the impression that they couldn't default you whilst it was in dispute.

I'm sure one of the mods will correct me if I'm wrong....

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

The claimant also claims interest under

section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at

the rate of 8% a year from 1-06-00 to

1-09-06 of £1947.98 and interest at the

same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.00022

£1947 seems rather high. Is this your charges + 8% interest?

This figure should be the 8% interest on your charges as in the Simple s/s

The daily rate is just your charges X 0.000222 eg £495 x 0.00022= £0.11p

• 3 weeks later...

aargh

trying to work out my sums for mcol

total charges claiming £1,946

8% of that is 155.68 now do i multiply this by 6 (years which makes £9934.08??????????)

or do i submit my daily rate of 0.00022 which is £162.92?

useless at maths and completely flumoxed

Hi Ruthie, deep breaths......

the 8% interest is charged from the date it was incurred, if it occured exactly one year ago it would obviously be 365 days. If the charge was £30, it would be (£30 x 0.00022) x 365 = £2.41

The easiest way to do this is using the simple excel spreadsheet, you just put in the date, the amount and it works the interest out for you.

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

aargh

trying to work out my sums for mcol

total charges claiming £1,946

8% of that is 155.68 now do i multiply this by 6 (years which makes £9934.08??????????)

or do i submit my daily rate of 0.00022 which is £162.92?

useless at maths and completely flumoxed

The 8% is applied by the spreadsheet in the templates, it calculates this based the number days since the charge was applied. You cannot simply add 8% to the added up total to date as this is the interest rate over the YEAR. Some charges may be older than a year (= more interest) and some less than a year (= less interest).

Have you used the spreadsheet provided on the site to produce your schedule of charges?

well just sent mcol after finally finding the money!!

i need to send my schedule of charges to the court anyone know the address? i'm sure i saw it earlier and now i've lost the plot

blood pressure is now through the roof lets wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there, you don't send the schedule of charges to the courts unless you get to the AQ stage, then you need to supply more info about the case.

currently the halifax are not taking it to that stage though, and are settling after a week or so from acknowledging.

Good Luck!

Ignore previous comment, It was based on a friends experience where the northhampton court actually sent the schedules back saying that they were not required at this time!

read the following post's which appear to be better informed - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/37257-sending-schedule-mcol.html

congrats on yours though they made a quick decision there. hope mine will be the same

Cheers ruthieanne, still haven't actually received the cash yet though :mad:.

Considering ringing them and being arsey about the daily interest rate that they have 'forgotten' to add in, but really need them to pay up this week as am racking up more charges as we speak (the £250 MCOL fee has made the month VERY tight!).

Good Luck!

Hi guys

quick update:mcol issued 11/10/06

acknowledged 13/10/06

not heard anything else.... it looks as though many have been settled within 7 days and now i'm getting panicky

has anyone recently had a long wait following acknowledgement?

:confused: