• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

speed camera rant!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I take your points as they appear valid.

I am unable to furnish you with the statistics of this particular camera as I do not have them unfortunately. Therefore I'll retain my original view.

I am aware of the website you have mentioned.

Any website that advertises the 'trick' to get off a speeding fine I take with a pinch of salt.

And a site where they argue that 'just 25 deaths' per year is somewhat to be lauded just because the original DfT edit claimed the figure was 100 I view with contempt.

Never mind eh?:rolleyes:

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird Al I am sorry but you are mistaken the highway code does not differianate between self employed and PAYE. in fact it just refers to driving whether commercial or pleasure. Also the only time whether your employment status is relevant is for the working time directive effective for the 48 hour week from april of this year. The transport act 1968 sec 96 relates to driving whatever your employment status. As for checking driving times if a serious colision occured the following investigation would check times through delivery notes etc.

Weird Al I am sorry but you are mistaken the highway code does not differianate between self employed and PAYE.

Look, I have explained once before and now I will post up relevent links for you to underrstand, ok?

I have already indicated that any UK driver should have 'adequate rest' which is in the Highway Code. Did I or not?

The Highway Code is for all drivers, of course it is. But driver's hours are legislated by UK law and EU law and it depends upon one's employment status, the hours they work, the vehicles they drive etc etc to how it affects them, or not, as was/is in my case.

in fact it just refers to driving whether commercial or pleasure. Also the only time whether your employment status is relevant is for the working time directive effective for the 48 hour week from april of this year.

No it isn't.

There is EU law and UK law including Domestic Driver's Rules too for workers to obey.

The transport act 1968 sec 96 relates to driving whatever your employment status. As for checking driving times if a serious colision occured the following investigation would check times through delivery notes etc.

I was self employed! There was/is no legal requirement to fill out any form regarding my driving hours or what deliveries I made as I was driving a van below 3.5 t!

Right, this can get complicated-

(HAD is the Horizontal Amending Directive for those, like the self employed, not affected by the Working time Directive)

What are the basic HAD rules?

The HAD applies all the usual restrictions of the main WTD to non-mobile workers and provides more limited protection to mobile workers in the road transport sector, ensuring in particular that those workers not covered by the RTD will be entitled to:

• An average 48-hour working week over a reference period (usually 17 weeks)
  • Four weeks’ paid annual holiday
  • Health assessments for night workers
  • Provision for adequate rest

It also ensures that those subject to the RTD will be entitled to health assessments if night workers and four weeks’ paid annual leave.

Note that under HAD, non-mobile workers are entitled to an uninterrupted period of rest of 11 hours a day while mobile workers who are not subject to EU drivers’ hours rules are entitled simply to ‘adequate rest’. Similarly, non-mobile workers are entitled to a minimum of one day off a week while mobile workers, again, are required to be given ‘adequate rest’.

A mobile worker is a driver. Not even employed drivers, driving under 3.5 t, are entitled to a break! Just 'adequate rest' which can be between shifts!

What’s the score for self-employed drivers under the RTD?

Self-employed drivers are excluded from the scope of the RTD until March 2009.

And I have been talking about the period 2003 to 2006 which is why I have written was/is in a number of posts but, nonetheless, it's still the case until 2009.

The legislation you have quoted didn't even affect me!

This from s95(2)

(2)This Part of this Act applies to—

(a)passenger vehicles, that is to say—

(i)public service vehicles; and

(ii)motor vehicles (other than public service vehicles) constructed or adapted to carry more than twelve passengers;

(b)goods vehicles, that is to say—

(i)heavy locomotives, light locomotives, motor tractors and any motor vehicle so constructed that a trailer may by partial superimposition be attached to the vehicle in such a manner as to cause a substantial part of the weight of the trailer to be borne by the vehicle; and

(ii)motor vehicles (except those mentioned in paragraph (a) of this subsection) constructed or adapted to carry goods other than the effects of passengers.

It was a Combo with no tow bar fitted, could not carry more than a dozen passengers and not a public service vehicle!

So your s96 is then a waste of time!

Just go to Department for Transport and read up on the subject!

Sub contracting is so that the contractor doesnt have to worry about tachos and holiday pay etc. However the subbie still has to comply with the law.

:confused: Yes, and it depends on what the law is for that specific individual.

Why do you quote a law that didn't even affect me?:confused:

Well, we have seen Weird Al go from a stance of claiming that he didn't break the speed limit and had never had an accident to furnishing us with details of how he regularly managed a round trip of 310 miles in 5 hours at an average speed of 62mph for the whole trip, to saying he had been involved in an accident, but it didn't count because it wasn't his fault. He finally admitted in post 167 that he does break speed limits, despite saying earlier in the same post that "No, I don't speed":rolleyes:

I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions as to his credibility:grin:

Well, we have seen Weird Al go from a stance of claiming that he didn't break the speed limit and had never had an accident to furnishing us with details of how he regularly managed a round trip of 310 miles in 5 hours at an average speed of 62mph for the whole trip, to saying he had been involved in an accident, but it didn't count because it wasn't his fault. He finally admitted in post 167 that he does break speed limits, despite saying earlier in the same post that "No, I don't speed":rolleyes:

I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions as to his credibility:grin:

Huh?:confused:

You are only so desperate to discredit me because you were a long time ago. You couldn't even give Tom87 straight answers but talked in riddles.

1 I highlighted the word 'regularly.'

I gave one example of one journey taking some 5 or so hours to do so and then you twist it to suit you to that it was regularly achieved and it took exactly 5 hours!

And yet you also, oddly, point out that to do so I would actually drive 8 miles below the legal limit in any case if we accept your view that 5 or so hours actually means 5 hours full stop!:confused: Err, that is equal to a shorter time period!!:D

2 I stated many times that I do not break the speed limit and that is so.

Now, you suddenly decide that answering honestly the question, 'Have I ever broken the speed limit?' by 'Yes, most probably' as actually meaning that I do break speed limits.

A few points for you-

a Probably is not a definite, look it up in the dictionary

b I would not be so moralistic as to say 'No.'

Did I drive at 30mph one day in 1988 yet strayed over by a mile?

I prefer to be honest and straight rather than how you present yourself.

c Did I speed to avoid an accident?

d If I ever do speed and get fined then I would accept it and not whinge like you.

3 To satisfy Rob S' peculiar mind I now have to report any damage, caused by third party's, to any car I have ever owned to be regarded as accident free. Rather than simply saying I am accident fault free!!

I do hope my insurers don't take this view!:D

And if people can draw their own conclusions to my creditibility then why do you feel the need to keep mentioning this same phrase?

Need others to put your views across do you?:rolleyes:

Edited by Weird Al Yankovic

And yet you also, oddly, point out that to do so I would actually drive 8 miles below the legal limit in any case if we accept your view that 5 or so hours actually means 5 hours full stop!:confused: Err, that is equal to a shorter time period!!:D

No, not drive at 8 mph below the limit. Manage to achieve an average speed of 62 mph, allowing for 30/40/50/60 mph limits.stops for rest/toilet/food/fuel, etc.

As a point of interest, when road rallying still happened (ie before it was regulated out of existence), the RAC motorsport division, who were the licensing authority would not allow an average speed greater than 50 mph to be set for motorways. It was proven, time and time again that it was impossible to achieve a higher average without exceeding the limit.

To satisfy Rob S' peculiar mind I now have to report any damage, caused by third party's, to any car I have ever owned to be regarded as accident free. Rather than simply saying I am accident fault free!!

I do hope my insurers don't take this view!:D

Er, yes they do. You are required as a policy condition to report any accident - whether or not it is your fault.

At renewal, the question about accidents in the last x years means exactly that - not claims.

2 I stated many times that I do not break the speed limit and that is so.

Now, you suddenly decide that answering honestly the question, 'Have I ever broken the speed limit?' by 'Yes, most probably' as actually meaning that I do break speed limits.

A few points for you-

a Probably is not a definite, look it up in the dictionary

b I would not be so moralistic as to say 'No.'

Did I drive at 30mph one day in 1988 yet strayed over by a mile?

I prefer to be honest and straight rather than how you present yourself.

c Did I speed to avoid an accident?

d If I ever do speed and get fined then I would accept it and not whinge like you.

Al, either you stick to the speed limits religiously or you don't. You can't say on the one hand that you "do not break the speed limit" and then say that you have "most probably" broken them. You are hardly being "honest and straight" here:rolleyes:

Al, either you stick to the speed limits religiously or you don't. You can't say on the one hand that you "do not break the speed limit" and then say that you have "most probably" broken them. You are hardly being "honest and straight" here:rolleyes:

Of course one can.

In what circumstances did I 'most probably' speed? Point it out please?:rolleyes:

You don't know about the concept of an average speed for the entire journey then Al??:D:D

I do actually.

Do you understand the concept of a popular comment such as '5 hours or so' meaning just that and not 5 hours precisely as you twist it?

And looking over my previous posts I did not even state at what time of day, what actual day...

In any case, 5 or so hours is quite a good estimate for that journey and you actually proved it for me.

Al you quite correctly quote sec 95 (2) transport act 1968. As I understand it a vauhall combo was designed or adapted to carry goods so section (ii) of 95 (2) is clear you have answered tyour own question. The transport act in question would have been in force in the period you mention. The working time directive does relate amongst other things to night work. As i previously posted and accepted it does make a difference if you are self employed for the directive to apply. However I will say again you were driving a goods vehicle not subject to eu rules on tachos owing to the vehicles weight. So the transport act 1968 does apply and limits driving to 10 hours a day. The transport act does not require record keeping because the vehicle did not require an operators licence. I suggest it is you who needs to re-read your post in respect of section 95 (2) and slowly read para (ii) because it will then dawn on you that a vauxhall combo is a goods vehicle and subject to the transport act of 1968 whether you are self employed or not. thank you.

I do actually.

Do you understand the concept of a popular comment such as '5 hours or so' meaning just that and not 5 hours precisely as you twist it?

And it could just as well mean under the 5 hours.:rolleyes:

And looking over my previous posts I did not even state at what time of day, what actual day...

As if that would make the slightest bit of difference to your claim that you have done the journey in 5 hours.

Face it Al, you have tried to present yourself as whiter than white when it comes to your intitial claims of not speeding (which you have now admitted that you have effectively lied about these claims)and having a nil accident record, but you have dug yourself a hole and you are still digging. Your credibility is reducing by the hour.

By all means carry on posting. The entertainment value is priceless:grin:

No, not drive at 8 mph below the limit. Manage to achieve an average speed of 62 mph, allowing for 30/40/50/60 mph limits.stops for rest/toilet/food/fuel, etc.

So now you are, yet again, putting your inaccurate penny worth in?:rolleyes:

Let's go back to the original scenario that I used as quite a simple example, simple for you to understand.

Cardiff to London in some 5 hours or so! That was essentially it!

Now you and your buddy have my average mph, whilst factoring the need for a rest/toilet/food and fuel when I may not have needed any, despite not knowing what day or time of day the journey could have been and timing it at exactly 5 hours when most, reasonably intelligent people, will know that 5 hours or so is quite an imprecise time estimate.

Have you any idea how stupid you look?:rolleyes:

As a point of interest, when road rallying still happened (ie before it was regulated out of existence), the RAC motorsport division, who were the licensing authority would not allow an average speed greater than 50 mph to be set for motorways. It was proven, time and time again that it was impossible to achieve a higher average without exceeding the limit.

Are you telling me that it is impossible to drive a stretch of motorway 70 miles long, in approximately 1 hour?

At 3am, anywhere on the motorway between Glasgow and Blackpool for example?

Er, yes they do. You are required as a policy condition to report any accident - whether or not it is your fault.

At renewal, the question about accidents in the last x years means exactly that - not claims.

Why don't you read what is posted rather than diving in head first as you usually do?

This is what I posted=

3 To satisfy Rob S' peculiar mind I now have to report any damage, caused by third party's, to any car I have ever owned to be regarded as accident free. Rather than simply saying I am accident fault free!!

This from post #167

Why would I mention some idiot clipping me 15 years ago, to you or anyone, in my claim I have a blemish free accident record?

And just what insurer would want to know about a driver clipping my car 15 years ago at renewal in 2008?:confused:

You have surpassed even yourself! Although Rob S is giving you a run!:roll:

And it could just as well mean under the 5 hours.:rolleyes:

Yes, or just over! So why have you precisly calculated to an exact 5 hour window?:confused:

As if that would make the slightest bit of difference to your claim that you have done the journey in 5 hours.

What? Are you real?

Are you telling me that Friday 3pm from Cardiff to London is no different congestion wise at 3am on a Saturday?:confused:

Face it Al, you have tried to present yourself as whiter than white when it comes to your intitial claims of not speeding (which you have now admitted that you have effectively lied about these claims)and having a nil accident record, but you have dug yourself a hole and you are still digging. Your credibility is reducing by the hour.

And yours is increasing?:rolleyes:

By all means carry on posting. The entertainment value is priceless:grin:

Al you quite correctly quote sec 95 (2) transport act 1968. As I understand it a vauhall combo was designed or adapted to carry goods so section (ii) of 95 (2) is clear you have answered tyour own question.

Is this the nutters thread?:o

Right, here we go again, just for you...

This from s95(2)

(2)This Part of this Act applies to—

(a)passenger vehicles, that is to say—

(i)public service vehicles; and

(ii)motor vehicles (other than public service vehicles) constructed or adapted to carry more than twelve passengers;

(b)goods vehicles, that is to say—

(i)heavy locomotives, light locomotives, motor tractors and any motor vehicle so constructed that a trailer may by partial superimposition be attached to the vehicle in such a manner as to cause a substantial part of the weight of the trailer to be borne by the vehicle; and

(ii)motor vehicles (except those mentioned in paragraph (a) of this subsection) constructed or adapted to carry goods other than the effects of passengers.

Do you know what a Vauxhall Combo is?

It is classed as a 'car derived van' by law thus for insurance purposes.

It has, and is constructed to have, a drivers seat and a passenger seat.

See what I have underlined?

That means the van was not soley constructed to carry goods. It can be used as a private vehicle, with a passenger seat, and never be used for commercial reasons.

The space could well be used for the wheelchair of the driver or the passenger or some other reason.

It can be insured as a car, a transit cannot.

Please tell me you now understand??!!:(

The transport act in question would have been in force in the period you mention. The working time directive does relate amongst other things to night work. As i previously posted and accepted it does make a difference if you are self employed for the directive to apply. However I will say again you were driving a goods vehicle not subject to eu rules on tachos owing to the vehicles weight. So the transport act 1968 does apply and limits driving to 10 hours a day. The transport act does not require record keeping because the vehicle did not require an operators licence. I suggest it is you who needs to re-read your post in respect of section 95 (2) and slowly read para (ii) because it will then dawn on you that a vauxhall combo is a goods vehicle and subject to the transport act of 1968 whether you are self employed or not. thank you.