Distance between speed limit change and camera?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just received a notice of intended prosecution for doing 37mph in a 30 zone. Have been back to look at where this happened, and basically this camera appears to be used as a cash machine!

On the opposite side of the road to the camera, level with the camera the speed limit changes from 30mph to 50mph.

However, on the side of the road with the camera, the limit changes from 50mph down to 30mph a few hundred yards before the camera.

Firstly, it seems very odd to me they have a different spped limit on either side of the same road. Secondly, I'm trying to find out if there is a statutory minimum distance between a speed camera and the sign inidcating change of speed limit. If so, I believe this camera may well break the rules.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I haven't HSBcrusher. Been very poorly this past week and unable to drive to get out there, t's about 30 minutes from me.

Sorry,

is there a sticky about TROs ?

Traffic Regulation Order - the paperwork that creates the speed limit 'officially'.

these are public documents, they should be 'sealed', they are available to you. you need photocopies, get them yourself from the council offices - do not trust the council to send you the right stuff.

some council publish plenty of stuff about them, some councils don't even now where they are or if they exist (that latter point is not an exaggeration).

For either type of council and all in between still get real copies yourself by visiting the council offices.

TRO council what obtain -restraining - Google Search

now for the real rules.

Local Government Act 1972 (c.70) - Statute Law Database

The Secretary of State's Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1990

The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996 (No. 2489) - Statute Law Database

and check for repeaters and the distances between the lamposts just in case !

Traffic regulation order.

What type of road is it? Is it a single carriageway or a dual carriageway? If it is a single carriageway it would be very unusual for it to have different speed limits in both directions. It wouldn't be out of place for a dual carriageway (Park Lane in Central London springs to mind, 30 mph limit southbound and 40mph northbound).

As for rules about placing of the camera, I am not aware of any in terms of proximity to the signs posting a new speed limit. The speed limit always starts from the point where the speed limit sign is displayed. If the camera is several hundred yards inside this then I think you would be struggling to use it as a defence.

The best course of action is to establish that the speed limit is actually legal in terms of the TRO being correct.

If you can post some photos of the location that could be useful too.

On the side I was photographed it was single carriageway, on the other side mainly single, but a brief overtaking lane going into the 50mph zone. I will try to get some photos tomorrow if I'm feeling upto the drive.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for exactly in this TRO, and would these be held at district councils or county?

Thanks again