Advice needed re:HFO Services

boo63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5858 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is my 1st post to the forum although I found it about a week ago and have been reading up on my predicament. I signed up today because I am now worried sick. I'll keep it as short as I can but this HFO bunch have been sending letters to me addressed to my parents home (I no longer live there). I have been ignoring them because this debt which is a Barclaycard debt was previously with another DCA who rejected my offer of £120 per month repayment and said they would take me to court if I did not pay £375 per month. I was terrified and my financial situation was not very stable at that time so I just avoided the issue and since then its just been passed from one DCA to another.

Anyway after complete silence for about 18 months, HFO got involved and started calling my parents demanding to speak to me. When my dad said that I had moved out over 12 months previously, they apparently went ballistic and said that they were debt collectors and would blacklist my parents if they didn't provide my new address and telephone number. My dad lost his temper and told them to go ahead, he couldn't care less but when he called me to tell me what had happened I was mortified. I have tried to keep this whole mess to myself and didn't want my parents finding out.

I know I should have sorted this mess out ages ago and not let it get this far but what should I do? I want them to leave my parents alone but I'm sure they will continue to harass them. Should I call them myself even though the advice on the forum is not to speak to them. Should I write and let them know my new address? I want to pay off the debt but I can't afford excessive demands for payment and I know they are bullies.

I have told my parents not to get into conversations with them in future and my dad has said that I should just ignore them and not give them my new contact details.

What do you guys think I should do? I am not trying to dodge the debt but I do not know hoto deal with this, My head is swimming and I feel so embarrassed.

I would think your parents could make a complaint to the police should they DCA telephone again. But in the meantime, just hang up on them x

Have you spoken to someone at National Debtline perhaps. They could contact these monsters on your behalf. At the end of the day, they cant have more that what you can afford to pay.

Most of the people on the forum would advise you NOT to speak to the DCA. As your parents have realised they will say anything over the phone, certainly stuff they wouldnt put in writing.

I am relatively new here myself but will pop back and keep your thread bumped so someone more experienced can advise you. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB I appreciate the support as much as the advice. I didn't know a forum such as this one existed otherwise I would have done something positive before now and definitely not have buried my head in the sand about this. I have just been too scared and at a loss about how to handle things.

YOu will find lots of help and advice on CAG. Most of us at one time have been where you are and are now stronger for having found CAG. :) Read through some of the threads in the debt forums and you will most likely find someone with an almost identical problem to yourself..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi again

So I have been reading some of the threads about HFO. I want to get them off my back and pay this off so do you think I should start by asking for a copy of the CCA to make sure that they have the right paperwork and to check that they are authorised to demand the money from me?

Should I also contact Barclaycard to find out exactly how much I owe in case charges have been slapped on top?

And finally should I send a telephone harassment letter and adapt it to tell them to stop threatening my family?

And finally I guess if I do all of the above, I will need to give them my new address and telephone number?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ummm, please DONT give them your new telephone number !!.

It might be a good idea to telephone the Trading Standards office in the area your parents live. They could possibly investigate the phone calls and get them stopped. The DCA who threatened your parents should certainly be investigated.

Are you paying anything at the moment ?... you mentioned £120.00 a month, but you dont say if that is still ongoing.?

But yes, I guess you will have to let them know your new address if you are going to CCA and SAR them :)

BCOBS

Get your paents to send these muppets a strongly worded letter informing them that you no longer reside at the address. Your parents are under NO obligation to inform them of your present whereabouts. They are only a scummy DCA with absolutely NO LEGAL POWERS.

Before making any offer of payment I would ensure that a debt actually exists and that HFO have a legal right to be chasing you for it. This of course can be done by sending them the CCA letter although this involves disclosing your present address to HFO. There may not even be a valid CCA as Im surprised the first DCA did not accept you offer of £120 eventually.

under NO circumstances speak to these idiots on the phone as they will do anything to get you to pay up whether or not the alleged debt is enforcable. NEVER give them your telephone number NEVER