• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bean's Timeline (Capital One) ***SETTLED***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They ARE adding "purchase interest" to their unlawfull fees so it IS recoverable

Yes, I am claiming back charges plus purchase interest levied on these charges.

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks sidvicious, keep moving forward.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a reply dated 29 August 2006 from AC of their Executive Office.

"Thank you for writing back to me about the fees on your account. I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond in full sooner and I realise you're disappointed with us because of this. I hope I can resolve things today so we can put this experience behind us.

I understand you think our fees are unlawful and I'd like to explain why we've added them to your account. We automatically add a late payment fee if your payment is missed, arrives late or isn't enough to cover your minimum payment. This has happened xx times since we opened your account. We also add overlimit fees if your balance goes over your agreed credit limit, which is £xxxx. Your balance has been over your limit for xx months. [To be accurate, it has been over limit on xx occasions, it has not been over limit consecutively for xx months.]

When we opened your account, in , we sent you a credit card agreement which stated these fees. By signing and returning this to us, you agreed to the terms and conditions for the account, including the fees.

Our fees are in line with other banks and financial institutions. As you're probably aware, the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) aren't challenging the right of banks to charge default fees, but merely the level of those fees. We believe that our fees are both fair and legal and we've added them to your account correctly.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, I'll refund fees totalling £262 for you. These refunds will reduce your fees to £12 each, [Their figures are incorrect - based on the figures in their letter which don't tally with the statements provided, this refund would reduce each charge to £14.30. Based on the statements provided, this refund would reduce each charge to £12.30] which is the figure mentioned by the OFT. [!!!] If you'd like to accept my offer, please sign and return the form I've included. I'll add the refunds to your account when I've received your signed form.

To:

Executive Office

Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

PO Box 5281

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

Our ref: xxx/xx/xx-xxxxxxx

Your ref: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

I confirm acceptance of Capital One's offer of late payment and overlimit fee refunds totalling £262. These refunds are accepted by me as closure of my complaint about the fees added to my account.

Signed...

Date...

Signed on behalf of Capital One

Dated 29 August 2006"

I shall decline their offer to refund 38.5% of the claimed penalty fees, ask them to confirm the number of charges as they exceed (by 10 occasions) those stated in my statements/data, and shall issue a County Court claim as I said I would in this eventuality.

At my leisure, I will send back their included sheet headed:

"We'd be very grateful if you could take a few moments of your time to give us your comments on the way that we've handled your complaint, this is so that we have the opportunity to improve our services in the future".

..with my comments.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

...I shall decline their offer to refund 38.5% of the claimed penalty fees, ask them to confirm the number of charges as they exceed (by 10 occasions) those stated in my statements/data, and shall issue a County Court claim as I said I would in this eventuality...

As I have stated elsewhere, accepting a partial settlement is open to problems that I do not wish to get involved in.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

• 2 weeks later...

N1 County Court claim form submitted to local County Court today, claim sum ~£875.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Great. Keep us posted!

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Thanks give_me_it_back,

I will keep you posted,

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

yes i'd love to know how you get on with this as I too have been offered about a third of my claim amount and will progress with my LBA on Friday.

I think its very cheeky that after they've taken our eyeballs out in charges they are now going to take it upon themselves to just reduce them! How dare they! I'd like it all back please Cap One!

Good luck x

At my leisure, I will send back their included sheet headed:

"We'd be very grateful if you could take a few moments of your time to give us your comments on the way that we've handled your complaint, this is so that we have the opportunity to improve our services in the future".

..with my comments.

I gave mine to my beautiful granddaughter to crayon coloured pictures of her grandpa on!:D

Good luck Bean!

Elsinore

I gave mine to my beautiful granddaughter to crayon coloured pictures of her grandpa on!:D

:D . I know, it's remarkably easy to think that no good will come of our returning feedback forms. You have obviously put yours to good use.

Family is what life is all about, and we are both rich men in that respect.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

• 3 weeks later...

:D I am pleased to say that I received an offer of full settlement this morning. I shall be accepting their offer:D .

It reads:

"28 September 2006

Dear

Your claim against Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

County Court Claim number ********.

I write in connection with the above claim you have issued against Capital One Bank (Europe) plc. I have now had the opportunity to investigate your claim for the total sum of £875.60, which I understand is in connection with the default fees and interest that we have charged to your account.

It is denied that the fees are unlawful and they are detailed in your terms and conditions and in our customer welcome pack. Our fees are based on the costs we incur when a customer breaks their contract by making a late payment, failing to make a payment or goes over their credit limit. The fees are only levied when a customer breaches their contract in this way and can be avoided if payments are maintained and the account kept within the agreed credit limit.

Capital One has acted in accordance with the terms of your credit agreement throughout this matter and it is clear that you have no claim against Capital One. Whilst we do not accept liability for the claim, I am prepared, in an effort to resolve this matter without the need for a court hearing, a full refund of you claim for £875.60.

This offer is made purely as a matter of goodwill and is put forward in full and final settlement of your claim number ********. This means you also agree to notify the court of the agreed settlement and we will do the same.

If you are happy to accept my offer, please sign the settlement form I have included with this letter and return it to me within the next seven days. Once I have your settlement form back, I will add the refunds to your account.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly in response to this offer and avoid taking up valuable court time.

Yours sincerely,

Executive Office

For and on behalf of Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

Complaint Settlement Form

To:

Executive Office

Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

PO Box 5281

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

County Court Claim Number ********

Your ref: ****-****-****-****

I confirm my acceptance of Capital One's offer to refund the default fees and the interest totalling to £875.60, which is the full amount stated on my claim form.

I confirm this offer is accepted in full and final settlement and without any admission of liability on the part of Capital One of court claim number ********. I will not take any further action against Capital One and I also agree to notify the court to confirm settlement has been reached.

Signed......

Date........

Signed on behalf of Capital One

.**.....

Dated

.28/9/06....."

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

CONGRATULATIONS - Hooray for you Mr Mean ;-)

It's great to see they're still paying up (or should that be playing). Just don't cancel the claim till the moneys in your hands...

[SIZE=1] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]NatWest [/B] Offer accepted - 24/07/06 - £615[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black]-----------------------------------------------[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]Cap One [/B] Prelim - 22/08/06[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000]LBA sent - 06/09/06 [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000] MCOL issued 06/10/06 Served 11/10/06. Acknowledged - Deadline 25/10/06 [COLOR=Red] Offer of full settlement via personal cheque accepted £269. Wait 14 days in post for cheque from - 07/11/06 [/COLOR] [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta][B][COLOR=darkslateblue]Hit the [/COLOR][COLOR=darkslateblue][URL="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr"][COLOR=red]DONATE BUTTON[/COLOR] [/URL]and give 5% back to support this site! And don't forget the [COLOR=red]survey ;) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE]

Thanks Pixlmixer, I have sent them the completed Complaint Settlement Form. They say they will credit my account when they receive it.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

I have sent them the completed Complaint Settlement Form

Already signed and sent.

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Congrats Bean on your success! I am just preparing my MCOL and really nervous, but when I read through these threads it gives me hope.

I see Cap1 will refund to your account, as my charges outweigh how much is owed on my account I was wondering if in this situation do they clear the account and put it in credit or send a cheque for the difference? :rolleyes:

Well done x

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Thanks Jhawc24,

No need to be nervous at all, you are in a very strong position.

I expect they would credit your account to return it to a 'nil' balance, and send you a cheque for the extra bit. That would seem reasonable. [This is afterall a credit card, not a debit card.] In my case, the repayment clears about 70% of the outstanding balance.

I wish you well with your claim,

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

hi Bean

Firstly, congrats on your victory.

i'm just about to start my recovery from Cap1, but how likely do you think they are to close my card? I quite like my little cap1 card, it has been very useful in rebuilding my credit status, and i would be quite sorry to have it taken away.

Don't mean to hijack your thread either.

Well done again.

Regards

the train of thought has left the station, hope i was on the right platform!!

Lloyds TSB

prelim sent 06/07/06 response rec'd 14/07/06

LBA sent 20/07/06 response rec'd 27/07/06

Moneyclaim filed 22/08/06 Ack'd 30/08/06

Defence filed 26/09/06 AQ filed 12/10/06

hearing set for 10th Jan 2007

Cap One

prelim sent 2nd Nov 2006 First offer rec'd 14th Nov

any thoughts, suggestions or advice given by MBQ are done so without prejudice. All information I have, i have learned from this excellent site. If in any doubt, seek professsional advice.

No need to worry about them closing the account. When they send you an offer letter there is a question at the bottom saying something like "yes I wish to have my account closed" or "no I wish to continue using my account" (or something like that) and you chose what you want to do.

[/url]

Nationwide

Won

Capital One

Won

Citibank

Part win

GE Capital

Won

Exchange your council house for free.

www.UseMyPlace.com

hi Bean

Firstly, congrats on your victory.

i'm just about to start my recovery from Cap1, but how likely do you think they are to close my card? I quite like my little cap1 card, it has been very useful in rebuilding my credit status, and i would be quite sorry to have it taken away.

Don't mean to hijack your thread either.

Well done again.

Regards

Read this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/14893-fsa-position-account-closures.html

Which includes, for example:

"Briefing Note BN 023/06

4 July 2006

FSA position on account closures and default charges

Generally, under FSA rules on dispute resolution and complaints, we would not expect any regulated firm to discriminate against a customer who makes a complaint.

However the relationship between a bank and its account holders, including the circumstances and manner in which accounts are closed, is governed by the Banking Code.

We have therefore raised this issue with the Banking Code Standards Board, and informed those firms involved that we have done so. As a result of those conversations, we understand that the Banking Code Standards Board intends to state its position on this issue presently. We encourage the industry to use this opportunity to demonstrate the value of the Code in ensuring fair and reasonable outcomes to such disputes."

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

:D I have checked and found that the 'goodwill' sum of £875.60 has been credited to my Capital One account.

I have donated 5% and completed the survey.

Thank you to the Consumer Action Group:D .

Regards,

Bean

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

luvely jubbly.

"and it is clear that you have no claim against Capital One" haha makes me laff

Cap. one Preliminary letter sent 29/09/06

First response rec'd - £134 bug off. 14/10/06

No response :LBA sent 13/10/06

mcol issued no. 6QZ79850: 02/11/06

Acknowledged 09/11/06

NatWest - Preliminary letter sent 18/10/06

First response received 24/10/06

LBA Sent 01/11/06

2nd Response rec'd. 11/11/06

mcol begin 16/11/06