Removal notice and bailiff round on the same day!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, the council have sent my outstanding tax for nov, dec and jan just gone to equita bailiffs, now i did agree over the phone to pay the bill (to the bailiffs) by the 22nd march, but didn't get the whole thing paid in time.

Today they have sent me a 'removal notice', received today, dated the 4th, stating they have been unable to contact me (funny as they have never had a problem contating me before!), and that a bailiff would be calling at my house over the next two weeks, and that if i would like to pay the outstanding debt before this happens to contact their offices. Guess what bailiffs came round on the same day i received the removal notice, i'm more than willing to pay the outstanding amount but not the additional £150.00 for the visit.

If i pay the council tax bill online (i tried to phone the council but they say they won't take payments for last year) am i right in saying that they can't emforce the fees?

No i didn't let them in, should i pay this outstanding debt online?

As far as i can tell they are only entitled to £20.00 for the visit, do you know if this is correct?

I would suggest writing to Equita to say that you have received both a removal notice and bailiff visit on the same day and that the bailiff has attempted to charge you a removal fee for this visit.

Tell them that you are aware that this fee is incorrect as the fee scale provided in Head A of the Council Tax Administration & Enforcement 1993 (as amended) provides for the bailiff to charge just £24.50 for making a visit to my premises with a view to levying distress (but where no levy is made.

Make it clear that due to this error you require confirmatrion that this charge has been removed failing which you will consider both a formal complaint about the bailiff and a complaint to the local authority as well.

I would normally advise that you pay the bailiff.....unless that is if you have doubts as to the validity of the charges that have been applied.

If you are tempted to pay the council then you MUST WRITE to the bailiff co to explain why and copy this to the council.