'ATTENTION' heading on CAG ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now I know I'm a bit of an ole trooper on here and had my fair share of moans, but can one of wiser ones please tell me why, on the top of the site there is this 'ATTENTION' notice telling people to come and 'chat' to us when firstly 'chatting' is not affiliated to CAG and secondly there is a box on the first page of that link encouraging people to go and get their credit score done for free?

Anyone touring the Debt Forums will scream at you NOT to get your credit scores and files from the CRA's without thinking it through very carefully as they tip off Debt Collection Agencies left right and center about your application. That in turn sets off the dca's chasing very old debt or alleged debt, enflicting grief all over the place. The only time you should ask for a credit file is if you really NEED to.

So, why are we encouraging this link to this website 'chat' when we have the Bear Garden for that all nice and cosy within these walls with lots of friendly people?

Anyone touring the Debt Forums will scream at you NOT to get your credit scores and files from the CRA's without thinking it through very carefully as they tip off Debt Collection Agencies left right and center about your application. That in turn sets off the dca's chasing very old debt or alleged debt, enflicting grief all over the place. The only time you should ask for a credit file is if you really NEED to.

That's a very good point, I missed that.

There's no point checking your file - there's sweet nothing you can do to change anything on it except perhaps add a small note of your own, for all the good it does.

Checking your credit just alerts the DCA's, like a dying man ringing the dinner bell in the "Vulture" section of life's zoo.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

The "Attention" bit was for the April Fools joke.

People bleated on about the chatroom being removed from here; as a courtesy I have allowed the link to the chatroom from another site.

You will notice that the link ONLY links to the chatroom and nothing else.

If I take it down I'll be slated, and if I leave it I'll be slated.

As there are no adverts here and donations have dried up almost completely since the OFT case started, I don't think it unreasonable to link to a site with adverts on it rather than to host them here.

The consumerhealthforums that are linked to from here also have advertisements on them.

As to the point about the CRAs 'tipping off' the debt collection agencies - without your consent, this would be a breach of the Data Protection Act, so I doubt that it happens that way. If it does, it's certainly not legal.

To state the blindingly obvious: if you don't want to go and check your credit file, then don't click on the advert - in much the same was as if you don't want to buy 'CallBurner' for Skype, then don't click the link on the left of this forum.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

...as to checking your file - apparently, according to Which!, 1 in 4 of us have incorrect information held on our 'credit files' so to say that there is nothing you can do about your credit file is, IMO, not correct.

When I last checked mine, there were incorrect entries. Let's face it - CRAs have about as much competence as the banks when it comes to personal data, so I would disagree and say that it DOES pay to know what is on there.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

The "Attention" bit was for the April Fools joke.

People bleated on about the chatroom being removed from here; as a courtesy I have allowed the link to the chatroom from another site.

You will notice that the link ONLY links to the chatroom and nothing else.

If I take it down I'll be slated, and if I leave it I'll be slated.

As there are no adverts here and donations have dried up almost completely since the OFT case started, I don't think it unreasonable to link to a site with adverts on it rather than to host them here.

The consumerhealthforums that are linked to from here also have advertisements on them.

As to the point about the CRAs 'tipping off' the debt collection agencies - without your consent, this would be a breach of the Data Protection Act, so I doubt that it happens that way. If it does, it's certainly not legal.

To state the blindingly obvious: if you don't want to go and check your credit file, then don't click on the advert - in much the same was as if you don't want to buy 'CallBurner' for Skype, then don't click the link on the left of this forum.

Sounds like you're a dead man whichever way you go Dave :D To be honest, I always thought the chat room to be a waste of time - there's not a whole bundle that can't be discussed on forum in the Bear Garden if anyone wanted it - I found the chat room awkward, gave people the opportunity to be stroppy and argumentative and at least on the forum there is control - even with loose cannons like me ! It may have suited some people, but I couldn't be bothered - there's plenty of support on the main forum to discuss issues and plenty of fun in the Bear Garden. As for the adverts, well I agree to a point although if someone is earning out of a link like that then... (EDIT) :D

Sadly Dave, I do not agree with your synopsis though. The CRA's own debt collection agencies, there is a distinct upsurge in DCA activity and letters coming to debtors once a credit report is received, you don't have to look far in the debt Forum to see that. Yes I agree, don't click if you know all this, but it's encouraging people to get their reports and there are plenty of people who do not read through the forums before whizzing off onto these links.

Anyway, I know you are always thinking of us all for the right reasons - Damned if you do, damned if you don't :D

The other thing was that the gap at the top of the forum is getting bigger everytime you put something up there, so whenever we changed threads there's a whole load more scrolling to do! - That's it - I'm off.... :D :D

• Haha 1

...as to checking your file - apparently, according to Which!, 1 in 4 of us have incorrect information held on our 'credit files' so to say that there is nothing you can do about your credit file is, IMO, not correct.

Only the organisation that made the entry to you file in the first place can change it. If you complain to the CRA they refer you to whoever made the entry. When you complain to them, they will often ignore you, or agree with you, but do nothing to change the entry leaving your only option of adding a note to your file, as you are entitled to do.

The CRA's own many of the main players in the Debt Collection industry and checking your file is often the start of the process whereby the 'phone calls and letters begin, often for debt you know nothing about so you have to prove to them who you are (none of their damn business imo) or the debt will be statute barred anyway, and they are effectively holding you to ransom.

It is because of their incompetence and idiotic mistakes that people like Beryl Brazier suffer. I would never recommend anyone to have any contact whatsoever with a CRA unless it is absolutely necessary.

CRA's do not chase fraudsters the Police do, and if someone racks up debt in your name then it's tough on the creditor who didn't take the time to do their checks properly.

No offence. That's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of CRAs (or DCAs for that matter)!

In fact, I don't understand why people use them.

It's relatively easy to opt-out of using S12 of the Data Protection Act.

...now if we could only get about 20% of people to assert THAT right, then I think the CRAs (and their ridiculously unfair methods of working) would have their days numbered.

------------

------------

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of CRAs (or DCAs for that matter)!

In fact, I don't understand why people use them.

It's relatively easy to opt-out of using S12 of the Data Protection Act.

...now if we could only get about 20% of people to assert THAT right, then I think the CRAs (and their ridiculously unfair methods of working) would have their days numbered.

What in laymans terms are you suggesting here Dave? I've seen a number of references to using s.12 - what is your thought on this?

I personally think the link should stay, as there have been plenty of people coming in to the chat room looking for help, and have been shown the way to the appropriate forums in here.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I personally think the link should stay, as there have been plenty of people coming in to the chat room looking for help, and have been shown the way to the appropriate forums in here.

Then I will rest my case and leave them to your better judgment..if it helps just one, then that is good enough to leave it. :-)

Just for your reference, take a look at this chart

Getting Credit in France Details - Doing Business - The World Bank Group

You will notice that in France, as most other EU countries, private companies have no legal right to store information about you or your financial affairs. The risks to the consumer and their personal privacy are considered too great. Now, using the same chart, take a look at the UK.

Private companies in the UK can hold you to ransom over data which may or may not be incorrect, it could be hopelessly out of date and/or enetered in error....and there is not a great deal you can do about it, unless you are prepared for a long uphill battle.

If the Gov get their way over ID cards it will almost certainly be the death knell for the privately owned CRA - they will eventually become obsolete and unnecessary.

• Haha 1

What in laymans terms are you suggesting here Dave? I've seen a number of references to using s.12 - what is your thought on this?

It's a means of 'opting out' of having your data used for 'automated decision making processes' - just like the banks/insurance etc... do when they check your credit 'file' with the CRAs.

If everyone opted out and stated that their grounds for opting out were that the system is so very unfair and biased (e.g. default for £5 - get the same 'punishment' as someone defaulting for £50,000) , then they would be so overrun with having to do manual checks that the whole system would fall apart.

THEN, we might actually begin to see a fairer system.

------------

------------

In fact, there's a very interesting thread about it here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/29074-victory-last-against-cras.html

12. - (1) An individual is entitled at any time, by notice in writing to any data controller, to require the data controller to ensure that no decision taken by or on behalf of the data controller which significantly affects that individual is based solely on the processing by automatic means of personal data in respect of which that individual is the data subject for the purpose of evaluating matters relating to him such as, for example, his performance at work, his creditworthiness, his reliability or his conduct.

• Haha 1

------------

------------

LOL - sorry, missed that bit...so, if I don't want to NOT not buy the callburner, then I don't click the link on the left, but if I do want to not NOT buy the callburner, then I do need to click the link.

Can you just confirm whether I have this right or not, as I only want to buy callburner if I want callburner, and not buy it if I don't want callburner...or something like that...

LOL...:cool:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you don't not want to, then you must click it and pay money.

If you do not want to buy it, then you must not click it.

------------

------------

If you don't not want to, then you must click it and pay money.

If you do not want to buy it, then you must not click it.

This isn't some "heads you win, tails we lose" money making trick is it? There are some gullible people on here, and it would be most unfair to unjustly enrich CAG by their failure to read the small print...

So...not clicking means you don't not want to not buy callburner, and clicking means you do want to not not buy callburner (and help CAG earn a few pence because people who have successfully reclaimed bank charges refuse to put their hands in their pockets)

Wouldn't it be simpler to just bump the "donations are drying up" threads, announcements and posts?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

LOL - sorry, missed that bit...so, if I don't want to NOT not buy the callburner, then I don't click the link on the left, but if I do want to not NOT buy the callburner, then I do need to click the link.

Can you just confirm whether I have this right or not, as I only want to buy callburner if I want callburner, and not buy it if I don't want callburner...or something like that...

LOL...:cool:

Hey Spiceskull - there's a rave from the grave. Haven't seen you about for ages - if I've missed you - sorry - but hey - welcome back anyway!

Reading this thread I am at a loss as to what Call burner is

I have entered Chat If I want to take pat do If i dont like the conversation I leave I am a free spirit

As for donnating I have tried a number of times but pay pal wont take my donatopn still trying youll get it soon ( I hope ) If you have an address that I can send the old fashioned cheque to PM me

Callburner is to record your conversations made from Skype, Bona. Useful for Skype users to whom banks may be saying one thing over the phone, but then saying something else, for example.

I have passed your request on, hopefully, you should hear from someone soon. Thanks you for being so patient with us. :-)

Im sorry im thick dont understand only found your step by step guide to posting yesterday learnt a lot still cant down load a picture neve rmind we cant all be clever

• Haha 1

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

LOL
...some will take a little bit of practice. If you want to practise...
Practice: Repetition of an activity to improve skill.

Practise: To pursue (a career, especially law, fine art or medicine)