purplemargy vs HSBC

purplemargy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Okay, I have been reading around this site for the past few days and am now ready to send a preliminary letter for refund (no need to send Data Protection Act letter as I have access to my statements via internet banking). HOWEVER, after having looked through my statements for the past 6 years, I AM NOT SURE EXACTLY WHICH CHARGES I CAN CLAIM FOR.

My queries therefore (which I could not find on FAQs) are:

1). Can I claim for charges applied to my acoount due to 'card misuse'?

2). Can I claim for overdraft fees (in my case, of the four times in 6 yrs I have been charged OD fees, I have been charged £25 OD Fee and £75 Excess OD Fee, both fees applied to my account on the SAME DAY!!! If I am overdrawn, I don't understand why they must charge me twice although I'm begining to realise that it's all part of their money making [problem] ....)

3). WHAT ARE 'TOTAL CHARGES'? I appear to have been charged 'total charges' on several occassions IN ADDITION to the individual charges applied to my account in the same month. Can I claim back total charges as well??

Please help!!!! I don't want to over-claim or under-claim.

Thank you.:)

1). Can I claim for charges applied to my acoount due to 'card misuse'?

yes you can, they are typically £10

2). Can I claim for overdraft fees (in my case, of the four times in 6 yrs I have been charged OD fees, I have been charged £25 OD Fee and £75 Excess OD Fee, both fees applied to my account on the SAME DAY!!! If I am overdrawn, I don't understand why they must charge me twice although I'm begining to realise that it's all part of their money making [problem] ....)

yes, again you can, and they charge you because (they think) they can

3). WHAT ARE 'TOTAL CHARGES'? I appear to have been charged 'total charges' on several occassions IN ADDITION to the individual charges applied to my account in the same month. Can I claim back total charges as well??

total charges refers to them having a set fee for you going over your o/d but its a daily fee and as they charge per day , they add it all up and slap it on at the end of the month hence "total charges", not to be mixed up with the one off fees like card misuse, d-d return etc,

hope thats cleared it up for you :)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Thanks so much for reply Maverik..that's definitely cleared things up for me in the main..it's amazing how much money they quietly deduct from our accounts..without us noticing it..that is until now of course!

Will keep this site posted of my progress..hoping to post prelim letter tomorrow.....

Just drafting my prelim letter..just checking I didn't misunderstand reply to my previous email...

Now that I know what 'total charges' are..can I claim them back? Given that they are calculated daily for every day I was overdrawn that month, can I claim back the whole amount or just that portion of the 'total charges' that`was due to the penalties levied????

Thanks!

on my claim at least, i have asked for anything back which the bank debited from my account marked as 'total charges, card misuse & Charge Recall S/0-D/D'

04/07/2006 - Full, unconditional offer made from HSBC, accepted. £1444.xx (unfair charges)

01/06/2011 - Barclay CC PPI claim initiated

13/09/2011 - Claim rejected :|

19/10/2015 - Claim restarted !!!!

Just posted my prelim letter by Recorded Delivery today ( after spending ages making photocpies of my statements and other paperwork at work yesterday!). I'll give about 2 days for delivery (I posted just before 5.30 tonight) so expect them to receive it by Friday at the latest when I shall start the clock ticking....then let battle commence!!......

Just so you know, I'm claiming for £1,185.90 in charges alone. Will calculate the 8% interest nearer the time.

you can check the royal mail website

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm

just enter the code that they gave you when you posted it, and you can find out if its been delivered

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Just received a letter from Mr Langdale in the post today, asking me to swend a full itemised breakdown of the charges including date, description etc..What a bloody cheek! I enclosed a full copy of my bank statements and the breakdown of charges (spreadsheet) with my prelim letter and I refuse to spend another penny on them unneccessarily (as if they haven't taken enolugh of my money already). There is a contact no. at the bottom of the letter but I probably won't get to speak to him himself especially as the letter wasn;'t even signed by him.

I refuse to send them further documentation which will only inconvenience me even more. I sent them all the info by recorded delivery which they should have received all in one envelope (seeing as that's how it was sent).

Should I just write back informing him that he should already have all that info. Does anyone know of an email address I can use rather than sending another letter which will take another 5 days to reply to and cost me another recorded delivery fee?

I won't be drawn into their stalling tactics:mad:

HSBC £1,185.90 (exluding 8%apr) to be refunded

Statements taken from internet banking account 3/07/06

Prelim letter sent 5/07/06

Stuipd stalling letter received 11/07/06

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd post an update ..I've been inundated at work lately and haven't had a chance to visit the site much recently..

Recap

Printed off bank statements from internet (cuts down time if registered for internet banking!!) for last 6 years

Calculated charges of £1185.90

Sent prelim letter to Phil Beaumont on 5/7/06

Enclosing copies of bank statements and breakdown of charges (spreadsheet)

Gave them 14 days to respond

Reply from Colin Langdale 10/7/06 requesting copies of bank statements plus breakdown of charges

(They should have had all that information!!!! Obviously just stalling)

Sent a further letter (2nd prelim I guess-not LBA) on 3/8/06 venting my frustration at the request for copies of statements even though they should have received all of it the first time around (proof of recorded delivery on post office website). Nevertheless, sent further copies (I had 3 copies anyway-just in case this very thing happened;) )

Gave them further 14 days to respond, otherwise will send LBA

Update

Reply from Colin Langdale 17/8/06 (1 day after 14 day deadline) making offer of £1080-No conditions attached, BUT £105.90 less than asked for.

Considering accepting offer and not pushing for outstanding £105.90 which will mean more tooing and frowing letters between me and them.

Will be requesting the money be refunded to me as a cheque rather than paying into my account (which is currently overdrawn, though within my OD limit!!)

TOTAL DAYS from initial claim to 1st offer is 44 days/jabout 6 weeks (though would have been less if not due to being really busy at work thus not responding to Colin Langdale sooner!)

Not as tortuous as I thought it would be - proved to my boyfriend that it does work!!!!

Thanks to www/moneysavingexpert.com BUT SPECIAL THANKS TO THIS WEBSITE!!!!! Donation on its way.

:D :D :D :D :D

Just my opinion but why would you let them keep £100 of YOUR money? Sending a few letters costs a few quid at most (lets call it a fiver), well you'd get that back with a hundred quid on top of it, which you could easily use to take the other half out to somewhere really fancy for a nice supprise meal.

Currently taking action against the HSBC for £2465

I do agree, but worried that if I reject this offer, they won't make me another one and I'll lose out completely for the sake of £100. Not sure of outcome to others who have been in this situation. Any advice????