£80 penalty for not re-licensing

jaymm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Did a search on this topic and found the message board. I've read some other posts on this matter, but wanted some help and advice before responding to those wasters at the DVLA.

I received a letter stating that I did not declare my vehicle as SORN and despite previous correspondence, I am now liable for an £80 fine.

Firstly, this is the first time I have had any correspondence from DVLA.

I part exchanged the car in September (to a car dealer) and registered my new car. I took the tax disc off the old car and got a refund from DVLA for the remaining months.

I went through my paperwork and what seems to have happened is that the garage took my complete log book, and gave me the complete log book for my new car. This means that I didn't send anything off to DVLA for my old car (other than my tax refund application) - or at least I think that is what has happened! I can't really remember since it was nearly 6 months ago!!!

The reason I believe this is what has happened is that I have a copy of the original complete log book for my new car, and reading through the notes, I should only have been given a tear off slip as a new keeper.

I phoned DVLA and have just discovered that I am STILL the registered keeper of my old car!!!

Anyway, I am now being threatened with debt recovery and all that, but before forming a response, I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

I am not an expert in this but I thought that it would be your responsibility to declare to the DVLA that you have sold the vehicle, edit, upon checking, it is your responsibility to fill out the relevant section of the form, you can see it here Legal obligations of drivers and keepers of vehicles : Directgov - Motoring

I am afraid, in this instance that you will be probably deemed liable and you have failed to do this. Perhaps it might be an idea to go back to the trader and collect the bit of the V5 that you should have completed.

Sorry it couldnt be better news.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi Guys,

Did a search on this topic and found the message board. I've read some other posts on this matter, but wanted some help and advice before responding to those wasters at the DVLA.

I received a letter stating that I did not declare my vehicle as SORN and despite previous correspondence, I am now liable for an £80 fine.

Firstly, this is the first time I have had any correspondence from DVLA.

I part exchanged the car in September (to a car dealer) and registered my new car. I took the tax disc off the old car and got a refund from DVLA for the remaining months.

I went through my paperwork and what seems to have happened is that the garage took my complete log book, and gave me the complete log book for my new car. This means that I didn't send anything off to DVLA for my old car (other than my tax refund application) - or at least I think that is what has happened! I can't really remember since it was nearly 6 months ago!!!

The reason I believe this is what has happened is that I have a copy of the original complete log book for my new car, and reading through the notes, I should only have been given a tear off slip as a new keeper.

I phoned DVLA and have just discovered that I am STILL the registered keeper of my old car!!!

Anyway, I am now being threatened with debt recovery and all that, but before forming a response, I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

First thing, get on to DVLA and ask them to supply you with a copy of the Tax Refund form that you sent in. At the bottom of the form is a box that you should tick to declare the vehicle off road. If you ticked it you are home and dry. I have had this a few times and when I have asked them for a copy of the form they have caved in.

Hi gwc1000,

I just called the DVLA and asked about the tax refund form. They said that there isn't anything on the form stating that I have traded the vehicle in or that it has been transferred.

She says that it is purely a form to get a refund from the tax.

Hi gwc1000,

I just called the DVLA and asked about the tax refund form. They said that there isn't anything on the form stating that I have traded the vehicle in or that it has been transferred.

She says that it is purely a form to get a refund from the tax.

Yes that is true, but the fine is for not declaring SORN, not for failing to inform a change of ownership, which is a separate matter. On the Refund Form there is a box at the bottom that you are meant to tick declaring that as you have removed the tax disc from the vehicle the vehicle is no longer on the road. This is a SORN declaration. Insist to the DVLA that you require a copy of your refund application as you are sure that you ticked the box to declare SORN and you are not liable for any "fine". They WILL provide you with a copy. In the meantime fill out the part of the V5 that you use to inform the DVLA of a transfer to the Motor Trade, putting the dealer's name and address on it and give the date of transfer as the date he had the car.