Being Forced Into Take A Demotion At Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5967 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't know if anyone can help with this one.

My wife has been working for the same company for around a year and a half and was promoted last summer.

Without warning she was taken to one side today and it was suggested to her that she should take a demotion back to her previous role. She has never received any warnings, verbal or written. Nor has she given them any reason to take this action.

I believe that this is illegal under employment law, but can't find the actual legal principle anywhere. If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Hi there, this must be very upsetting for your wife. So I can get a bit more background can you tell me what reason they gave her for the demotion?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn and thanks for your quick post.

The only reason that her manager gave was that she was under the impression that my wife might be unhappy doing her current job and may be looking elsewhere. She apparently went on to say that they needed someone is the supervisory position who was committed to the company, and therefore wanted her to consider stepping down to her previous (lower) role.

I'm sure that's not legal, whether it's true or not. So long as her work isn't affected they can't use those reasons to demote her, can they?

They would certainly need more than her manager's "impression" that your wife was not happy in her job - what facts are the manager basing this impression on?

Before any demotion could be considered there would need to be a problem with her standard of work - but even then she would have to be given a chance to improve. As this is not the case, then she should most definitely let her manager know she will not consider demotion - if her manager continues in this manner she should raise a formal grievance as this could be viewed as bullying.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I'll let you know what happens next

Please do, It'll be interesting to hear what this manager has to say

Hi,

The important thing here is that they are asking her to take a demotion so she should say 'no thanks' and leave them to make the next move.

If she volunteers, she loses all rights to do anything about it.

Regards,

Paul.

We have a similar problem, although it is more complex because of disability discrimination etc. (see my original thread about being forced into a decision ) In our situation we going to follow your advice Paulgmb and decline the demotion and wait to see what happens!