• Tweets

• Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
    • stopping payments until a DN arrives does not equal automatic sale to a DCA...if you resume payments after the DN.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

any advice please - I got home from work to find a letter in the letterbox from rosendales for unpaid council tax from 1999 - NEWS to me , from a pub address I used to manage. I phoned the baliff and no answer , so I called the council who confirmed a liability order was taken out in 2000 against me . I asked how and why they are chaseing me now - I would have paid had I known and I have been registered since with my local councils and surprised I have had no letter!

They said that they had written to me - all adresses I lived at in the 90's!

I then called Rossendales main office who confirmed I owed £720 (£25 or so baliffs charges) and that I had to call the baliff to sort out and arrange to visit me.

Now I realise I have to pay - but haven't got £720 lying about - what are my options and how can they suddenly jump out and say I owe them.

For the record I did think my employer were paying - but as they don;t trade anymore I am on my own.

thanks.

Thank goodness I found this site!

Well first off , DONT LET HIM IN, and keep all windows and doors locked. Until he has gained peaceful entry he can do very little, except maybe seize your car, unless it's on HP, hired/leased, or someone elses property, if its none of those, park it well away from the house.

You do need some advice about who was liable to pay council tax at the pub you managed. Some old paperwork might help here, or contact with any old colleagues who worked for the same firm.

I would not make any more phone calls, do everything in writing from now on, photocopy what you send, and send it by email/fax if you want, but make sure you also send a hard copy by recorded delivery.

And a copy to the council.

Re: ********* Client reference *********

Please understand that I am fully aware of my rights and you will not

gain entry to my home under any circumstances to levy goods

I know the fees allowed under statute and when these fees can be applied.

Dear sir/madam,

I understand ******** Council has appointed you to recover Council Tax arrears

A liability order has been passed to you that I had no notification of.

To be clear, I have received no notification of a court summons or liability order from ********* Council or the magistrates’ court prior to ******** Council passing this debt to you so I had no opportunity of representing myself at the magistrate’s court.

If I had been aware of this, then I would have objected to the liability order as my employers were liable for the council tax as part of my employment contract.

I dispute this liability and expect any enforcement action to stop until this is resolved between myself and ******** council.

Please understand that I would never refuse to pay Council Tax that I am legally liable for.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks that is brilliant help - as I said I don't dispute the bill will have to be paid.

The problem I have is - my ex employer no longer trades , the pub was sold and I have tried to find out tonight any info but I am coming up against a brick wall. So it looks as though I am liable , as I can not furnish any proof as its so long ago.

The letter I will send to both the baliffs and council concerned in the morning.

The main thing which makes me mad is that I have never hid , I could always be traced if they wanted ,the council also accept I left in september 1999.

As for letting the baliff in , I am out from 7 until 7 everyday anyway , and I have told my other half not too let anyone in!

im sure i read somewhere that if adebt isnt paid for 6 yrs and a penny has never been paid to anyone then it is called (something) LOL but i cant remember, but i bet some one on here will know not sure if this is true tho!

Hi there - I think that only applies to credit agreements I think , council tax , after a liabilty order has been issued is always collectable (if I am wrong please tell me).

Anyway a update I am liable as it was in my name and the company I worked for do not trade anymore.

I fired off the letter this morning , no reply.I called the baliff who wants to meet me Monday - I told him fine , but he's not coming in my house and I will pay over installments!

Also asked the council too send me statements to see how the cost added up.

No , my windows look out to the back and there is no way he can get there!Its only my front door , which actually comes straight into my sitting room , where my tv etc is on show.

Can he insist to meet me ?

Will he charge for this visit?

If i open the door , he could then try and walk in?

I mean , I was genuinely unaware of this debt , and will pay - I am trying now to sort my life out (thanks to this forum - which helps you take control) but I do not want him to make a fool of me!

He has already shown that he has no respect for you or the law.

If you open the front door to him, I would expect him to already be leaning on it, then as you fall backwards, he'll step in, or push in.

Theoretically that's wrong, but you'd then have to prove it.

Best thing to do is not open the door to him at all, even if he pretends to have a heart attack - although you should call an ambulance just in case.

He cannot insist on meeting you, he doesn't have that right.

You would be better off only dealing with his head office, in writing.

Every time you do something you don't have to do, he makes a fool of all of us. His entire purpose is to get you into a conversation and convince you that he has legal rights that we here all know he doesn't have.

• 1 year later...

i owe all of last years coucil tax,a bailiff from rossendales came to my house with a notice of distress/walking possession agreement.he tried the usual tricks by claiming he hadn't been to the toilet all day but fortunately i didnt let him in,he did not gain acces to my house at all and made no list of goods in my house.i made a small payment of £70.00 and went to his car to write me a reciept which he did.when he came back to my door he had made a note of my car and registration(how he knew it was my car i don't know) the car is still under a hp agreement.he said to send off the means form with a pay slip to prove income and also all my outgoings.i knew they wouldnt accept it as they needed the amount due by the end of the current tax year which would mean paying them around £450 a month until it was paid baring in mind that this was january 09 and had till end of march to pay which i couldnt do as it meant not paying other things and am usually all spent up on pay day which is monthly.i sent off the information they asked for but a few weeks later got a letter saying that my case was with the van bailif and to ring him to discuss the matter which i did,he said he would ring me back either later that day or first thing next day,he didnt,2 days later i recieved another letter from the bailif with a notice of 24 hours to pay in full or they were coming to take my goods(the car) i rang him again and he said he would give me until my next payday 24th/03/09 to come up with the money i can pay this out of my wage but that means defaulting on absolutely everything i pay out including rent to my private landlord and car payments etc.then a few days later i recieved my bill for council tax for 09/2010 which the 1st payment is due early april 09 if i pay the bailif this money i can't pay the 1st payment of 09/2010 council tax.since then i have been frantically trying to get a loan to pay the bailif which i can't get due to credit history.they have also included a van charge on my rossendale debt even though the van has not been to my property yet can i pay off the amount minus van charge before they come out.i have no other options to come up with the money so looks like i will have to pay out all of my wage and like i said earlier default on everything.i need some info or help as they are coming in a few days time much appreciated if u can help me

i owe all of last years coucil tax,a bailiff from rossendales came to my house with a notice of distress/walking possession agreement.he tried the usual tricks by claiming he hadn't been to the toilet all day but fortunately i didnt let him in,he did not gain acces to my house at all and made no list of goods in my house

So far so good.

i made a small payment of £70.00 and went to his car to write me a reciept which he did

I'm not quite sure why you did that, because less than half of that will go off your council tax debt.

when he came back to my door he had made a note of my car and registration(how he knew it was my car i don't know) the car is still under a hp agreement.

he can't touch it because it isn't your property, although if he levies upon it you must inform him in writing that it belongs to the HP company.

he said to send off the means form with a pay slip to prove income and also all my outgoings

Oh dear, I wish you hadn't done that, they weren't entitled to that information.

.i knew they wouldnt accept it as they needed the amount due by the end of the current tax year which would mean paying them around £450 a month until it was paid baring in mind that this was january 09 and had till end of march to pay which i couldnt do as it meant not paying other things and am usually all spent up on pay day which is monthly

Utter bollocks! The account has been handed to the bailiffs, and there is no time limit on when they can have all the money in. I've owed close to £10k for almost ten years now, although admittedly it's built up to that over time.

i sent off the information they asked for but a few weeks later got a letter saying that my case was with the van bailif and to ring him to discuss the matter which i did

Dear God, please don't do that again! Never ever talk to bailiffs on the phone unless you are recording it and gathering information for a complaint.

he said he would ring me back either later that day or first thing next day,he didnt

That's quite normal, doesn't mean it's right, just that it's normal

,2 days later i recieved another letter from the bailif with a notice of 24 hours to pay in full or they were coming to take my goods(the car)

Did he leave a seizure notice or notice of levy? Anyway I hope you dug out your HP agreement, because that and a statutory declaration is quite sufficient to deal with that normally.

i rang him again and he said he would give me until my next payday 24th/03/09 to come up with the money

There you go again, ringing and speaking to bailiffs - you really must do all this in writing/email. This was all very predictable you know, I don't think he ever levied upon your car at all.

i can pay this out of my wage but that means defaulting on absolutely everything i pay out including rent to my private landlord and car payments etc.

Then don't do it!

then a few days later i recieved my bill for council tax for 09/2010 which the 1st payment is due early april 09 if i pay the bailif this money i can't pay the 1st payment of 09/2010 council tax.since then i have been frantically trying to get a loan to pay the bailif which i can't get due to credit history.

Thank god for that, you'd only get deeper into the sh*t.

they have also included a van charge on my rossendale debt even though the van has not been to my property

Well of course they have, because they are lying! It comes naturally to many bailiffs, many people if the the truth be told - although not by them!

yet can i pay off the amount minus van charge before they come out.

I wouldn't make any plans to pay anybody at this point.

i have no other options to come up with the money so looks like i will have to pay out all of my wage and like i said earlier default on everything.

NO, NO, NO, you have been lied to, screwed each way, and they've put you into a right flap!

i need some info or help as they are coming in a few days time much appreciated if u can help me

You need to stop and take stock.

First start your own thread cos you are hijacking Northenguys thread.

Then collect every piece of paper you've ever had from them.

Then go round the house (you already know this anyway) and make sure they can't get in. Park your car well away from the house, preferably a long long way away, at your mums or your mates or something.

Then repeat after me, "I will never talk to the bailiff again" :D

They have not been into your house, so they have no right of entry.

They have not been able to seize your car, and they haven't the right because it's on HP.

They have no rights whatever.

So don't open the door to them. If they knock ignore them, close the blinds so they can't see in, and don't give them any feedback at all.

And they will go away.

It doesn't matter if they turn up in a Terex, they can't charge you for that.

You can pay the council online direct, they won't stop you, although the payment will probably go off this years debt first.

first of all sorry for hijacking its my first time on here i wasnt sure what to do and secondly thankyou soooooo much for your help a huge weight has just been lifted from my shoulders.