• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OFT test case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it me, or is this bloody thread just getting silly..........:confused:;)
Nothing wrong with your perception, JM.;-)

Well, what do you expect? The Devil makes work for idle hands, and I refer you to my earlier post about the OFT v banks case and when to expect a result of any kind... With nothing much else to do in the meantime, some elements are bound to try and occupy themselves best they can. :razz:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why anyone would want to go to Fleet Street unless they are showing support in an organised demonstration.

As Bookie said the important people are the OFT, the banks and the judge, no one else will have any effect on this case, the Judge isn't going to turn around and ask if the pressure groups have anything they would like to add to the arguments :rolleyes:.

As for witnessing the case the press are far more qualified to record the events and report them (within the bounds of their editorial mandates).

So nothing would be achieved by having a CAG representative in attendance.

pete

Thanks Mods! :) It would be nice to be able to discuss the merits or otherwise of the case -but as it only started (apparently) about 2 hours ago -we'll have to wait awhile - maybe until about May as you said LOL!:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

...and let's not forget that this case is just to see if the case can be brought to the high court using the OFT's existing argument.

It's not (as the media would have you believe) that it's a case to decide if what the banks are doing is legal.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Ah! Welcome to the fray pete!;)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

been wondering what was going on here, i got all my cases settled before the chop, but i have been scouring the news for any reports of this case and found nothing yet. now i know why :) thanks guys fountain of knowledge as always :D

me against the abbey Paid in full (donation made)

me against the woolwich Paid in full(donation made)

me against HSBC Paid in full(donation made)

beware the scrapbooker, for she has a long memory and sharp knives :lol:

As from Monday 21st January there will be a video link availble in Court 65 at the Royal Courts of Justice. Room apparently for 50 people, so anybody who's interested enough should be able to get a seat.

Be interesting to see the take-up, I tend to think it might be a rather empty courtroom

Maybe we should make an announcement of this on this forum.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Aren't they doing free lunches?

Shame they aren't doing free tickets I might even leave the sales phone alone for a day.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

ah, back on topic. ;) This thread was all getting a bit People's Front of Judea.

F*** off!!!! We're the Judean People's Front!

------------

------------

:D No.........it's peopled by the Judean Peoples Front. How many members have you eh?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

...by less than a minute!

------------

------------

I don't see why anyone would want to go to Fleet Street unless they are showing support in an organised demonstration.

As Bookie said the important people are the OFT, the banks and the judge, no one else will have any effect on this case, the Judge isn't going to turn around and ask if the pressure groups have anything they would like to add to the arguments :rolleyes:.

As for witnessing the case the press are far more qualified to record the events and report them (within the bounds of their editorial mandates).

So nothing would be achieved by having a CAG representative in attendance.

pete

Agree wholeheartedly

A massive public presence would probably only serve to irritate the judiciary, and would actually more likely just have a negative effect upon their perceptions and sympathies.

Although it should not, as initially this should be simply about the law; the UTCCR, and it's applicability and interpretation.

It should not be decided as applicable simply as a result of measuring what proportion of the public show up and declare it is applicable.

Just as much as it should not be swayed by what proportion of the Banks believe it is applicable.

However, my own concern (shared by many) when I heard about the limitation upon space, was that without the watchful eye of the media the public could not be afforded the comfort of knowing that matters had indeed been handled properly and transparently, thus ultimately leading to a proper interpretation of the law. Whatever the outcome.

It was not because such limits would reduce the appearance of the strength of public opinion, or stifle the influence of the media/public.

Hopefully the new extensions to access for the press will ensure that these stages are now reported properly.

Once this initial stage is decided, and if it is decided that the law applies and so it warrants a fuller trial, then public and action group opinions will matter more, and so then they should be entitled to relay such opinions, and put pressure upon the OFT (our representatives) to have them considered.

After all, at such time, the Banks will themselves be entitled to relay opinions and will put pressures upon their own representatives.

So lets hope the OFT do listen to us at such time, rather than just conduct the case in a way that they themselves decide upon.

Let us also hope that further stages are conducted upon a scale more reflective of their importance and significance.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

I like the way they say the comments are 'misguided', yet fail to offer any explanation as to why.

As far as I can see, the law is black and white on this issue. I fail to see any misguidence at all.

------------

------------

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

My thing is dont they have to put charges on the screen if your gona be charged for using the ATM?

Who is going to ask the question to the banks of, "if you so firmly believe that all your charges are lawful, fair, above board, reasonable etc, then why on earth have you paid out so much in returned charges prior to this case?" and then demand an actual answer to the specific question.

The fact that they have settled out of court on so many claims has to have made some form of prescedent that the banks have voluntarily agreed to as a result of the return of the charges, thereby indicating that they believe they are on very thin ice when it comes to justifying their charges, again something to date that they refuse to openly do.

The test case is fine and I hope the OFT really do seek answers to questions such as this, as well as many more. We will wait to see!!

:???:

Well, my thing is, that I believe if they start charging everyone for a bank account, then effectively we've been forced into buying a third-party product by legislation (The Wages Act (1984)).

This is a direct contradiction of the ECHR laws.

------------

------------

Who is going to ask the question to the banks of, "if you so firmly believe that all your charges are lawful, fair, above board, reasonable etc, then why on earth have you paid out so much in returned charges prior to this case?" and then demand an actual answer to the specific question.

The fact that they have settled out of court on so many claims has to have made some form of prescedent that the banks have voluntarily agreed to as a result of the return of the charges, thereby indicating that they believe they are on very thin ice when it comes to justifying their charges, again something to date that they refuse to openly do.

The test case is fine and I hope the OFT really do seek answers to questions such as this, as well as many more. We will wait to see!!

:???:

They will claim that they were gestures of goodwill.

I personally don't see having to take your bank to court and for some people that is a very real and frightening thing to do as a gesture of good will to their customers.

------------

------------

Well, my thing is, that I believe if they start charging everyone for a bank account, then effectively we've been forced into buying a third-party product by legislation (The Wages Act (1984)).

This is a direct contradiction of the ECHR laws.

Cheers for that dave.

They will claim that they were gestures of goodwill.

I personally don't see having to take your bank to court and for some people that is a very real and frightening thing to do as a gesture of good will to their customers.

Thats a hell of a gesture of goodwill from an industry only known to act in their own best interests and stuff everyone else.

If any representative in a bank ever asks if they can help me I am instantly concerned that they believe they can screw some money out of me for their own benefit.

Once had a cashier advising me that as I had a certain level of funds in my account, just sold house, that they would like to help me invest it. Yeah right, into something that I cannot access or have to pay a charge to use.

Told him it was none of his or the banks business.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks