WARNING. Banks Refusing Valid Card Fraud Claims

JimmyTheOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At last WHICH?, formerly the Consumers Association has published the following:

Some banks are ducking out of paying legitimate car fraud claims by ignoring guidance in their code of practice, Which? can reveal.

Financial Ombudsman Service spokesman David Cresswell said: ‘We’ve seen 2,700 card disputes this year, 29 per cent up on the previous 12 months. It’s a growing problem.’

Story click here.

Question is, if the Card Issuers Cant Keep your PIN secrret, then how can they hold victims liable for allegedly compromising their PIN?

November just gone:

"officers believe the cards had been cloned over the last fortnight after a PIN reading device had been used to obtain the secret codes throughout November.

Story click here.

Remeber you need not ever be held liable for PIN misuse if you don't have or use a PIN. You can continue to sign.

Chip & Signature is an option vice Chip & PIN

I've heard of this story.

It's a sham.

I try to turn away at the checkout when people are punching in their numbers but sometimes I've just been in a bit of a daze, as the checkout is not the most exciting place in the world, and could clearly see what the customer in front of me number's were.

There are plenty of other ways around this. I had a voice recognition mobile phone six years ago-why can't that be used in the card scanning machine with a secret password chosen by the card holder?

Why is the card scanning machine allowed to be on a flexible, extendable cord? Why not in a position where the people behind cannot see?

I'm sure it's just all a farce.

I believe the whole Chip n PIN is the banks way of putting the responsibility onto the consumer.

I have heard of cases of fraud when the banks have blamed the consumer for Pin misuse.

Bloody Banks! They are really getting up my nose at the moment!

Tom

A similar [problem] happened in Leicestershire. The Chip 'n pin device at a shop in a village was swapped for another one by fraudsters. I'm shocked that the switched device then "worked", I would have thought that there would be checks for a switched device somewhere downline. The machine copied the card details and sent them to the fraudsters. The newspaper article claimed that there must have been a hidden camera to record the pin numbers, but surely if a whole replacement chip 'n pin terminal, it could have recorded the pin number and sent it to the fraudsters along with card details.

Those things usually work by adding a card reader in front of the original reader and the card has to go through their reader to reach the atm reader and the details are recorded in that. The camera to record the pin is usually in a false top they secure above the machine and that records the pin.

They return at a later date to retreave their gear and so the pin numbers and details also.