• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Erroneous transfer of Gas Supply

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A month ago we got a "sorry you are leaving letter" from the company that supplies our gas.

Our reaction to this letter was " what's all this then?" as we haven't asked to change gas supplier nor had we responded to any cold calls.

To cut a long story short we have had an ongoing two year battle to sort out our gas supply due to a cock-up in Transco records.

My immediate thought was "groan it's all kicked off again just when we thought it was sorted".

I get on the phone and the internet to try and dig out what's gone wrong now.

The Indian call centre of our present company gives us the run-around and we are no further forward. Fortunately I have the phone number of the group retail manager's secretary from our previous dust up

I give them a call.

Magic, this immediately puts an end to the call centre run-around and

I am talking to a named person who puts a stop to the hijack.

A week later I get letter from "the cock-ups" department of the company who tried to hijack our supply.

"Sorry we cocked up and quoted your meter number when transferring supply for another customer.

I think "yeah right meanwhile I 've had a lot of aggravation".

Thinking about it I fire up my PC and knock up an invoice for £50 administration charge for the work they've caused me and I send it off. A week later I get letter letter "sorry for the inconvenience we will send you £25 for the inconvenience as a good will payment". Now do I send them a statement of account showing £25 still owing?

Did you give them a certain time to pay?

If so did you tell them that there would be an administration charge for late payment and a further charge for every letter you have to send.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Sorry to disagree but I think the £25 compensation is adequate for a few phone calls and asking for £50 is just greedy:( in this case, no harm was caused & it was all resolved.

Erroneous Transfers happen daily and usually is down to mis-types / incorrect data held by transco (they are not great at updating their records & accidents do happen) and can be resolved via calls to your current supplier.

One question though, if you are fedup with the Indian Call Centre of your current supplier, why not move to one with a call centre in the UK?

Cheers

Daniel

20/06/06 - Prelim sent for £4041

22/06/06 - Standard Letter received from Halifax

25/06/06 - Call with offer of £465 - £1465 - declined

27/06/06 - LBA Sent for £4041

07/07/06 - MoneyClaim filed online

11/07/06 - Acknowledged / Intend to Defend

31/07/06 - Yippee.....I WON - SETTLED IN FULL

01/08/06 - Second Part of Claim Filed £4397

04/08/06 - Acknowledged by Halifax

09/08/06 - SETTLED IN FULL

10/07/06 - Egg Request for Statements

16/07/06 - Received past 6 Years Statements

16/07/06 - Total Charges - £960

19/07/06 - Prelim Letter Sent

10/07/06 - AA Visa Request for Statements

16/07/06 - Total Charges - £280

27/07/06 - Offer of Goodwill £140, offer refused by phone

28/07/06 - LBA Sent

I don't think it's greedy at all, it's playing them at their own game.....and lord knows these fat cat transnationals deserve it!

That was my thinking. Due to previous problems it did cause a great deal more work than would have otherwise been the case.

As for the Indian call centres we will be moving as soon as everything is sorted out believe me. I didn't bore you with the two and a half year saga of problems caused by Transco meter records being in a mess. This problem was on top of that.

I can see where you are coming from but seeing as it was Transco who messed up first time round as they control the MPR register isn't it a bit unfair to take it out on another company.

And did you actually know that the suppliers only actually make roughly £10 per gas account & £30 per Electric account per year that is why they are all fighting for customers.

Cheers

Daniel

28/07/06 - LBA Sent

This sort of thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

One day, he recieved a knock at the door from the gas/eletric company saying that he owed them £1000's and they wanted the money.

They claim he had signed over two years previously and never paid a penny.

He told them to get lost and asked why they hadn't written, they said they had.

When he checked his bank statements (not something he does regularly) he saw that no money had gone out for utilites for 2 years!!

Bottom line was he told the company that unless they had a signature saying that he had swapped voer, then he wasn't apying a penny.

Of course, they didn't and he has never paid anything.

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

I can see where you are coming from but seeing as it was Transco who messed up first time round as they control the MPR register isn't it a bit unfair to take it out on another company.

Daniel

I didn't ask them to hijack my gas supply and i don't see why they should get away with sloppy procedures so I invoiced them. The Transco matter is a separate issue.

Look at it from their point of view, they get the MPR details from Transco and as often happens with Erroneous transfers the data was wrong from transco therefore leading them to transfer the wrong house, in the meanwhile someone who wanted to transfer is still waiting.

It will not be entirely the companies fault as if they are supplied duff data by transco then how can they verify it?

Cheers

Daniel

28/07/06 - LBA Sent

Nope the Transco details had been sorted. The company admitted they had got their knickers in a twist. Big companies will try to get away with sloppy procedures unless people fight back

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have just recieved a bill for £500 from British Gas who says that they have supplied my electric for the last year, I have no knowledge of this as I thought i paid for my gas and electric by direct debit to N Power.

I contacted B Gas and they said it wasnt my bill and to forget about it (I checked and there was still £300 a month going to N Power).

I got another letter saying the bailiffs would be round if i didnt pay, so i rang them again, they then said it was my bill (it is addressed the The Occupier not my name) and that i had changed a year ago.

I rand N Power and they confirmed that B Gas had taken over my supply of electricity a year ago.

I got them to move me straight back to N Power which they did but now they want the £500 by 2 weeks ago.

Do I have to pay?

And what should i write to them in order to contest it?

Thank you in advance:confused:

• 4 months later...
A month ago we got a "sorry you are leaving letter" from the company that supplies our gas. Our reaction to this letter was " what's all this then?" as we haven't asked to change gas supplier nor had we responded to any cold calls. To cut a long story short we have had an ongoing two year battle to sort out our gas supply due to a cock-up in Transco records. My immediate thought was "groan it's all kicked off again just when we thought it was sorted". So I get on the phone and the internet to try and dig out what's gone wrong now. The Indian call centre of our present company gives us the run-around and we are no further forward. Fortunately I have the phone number of the group retail manager's secretary from our previous dust up so I give them a call. Magic, this immediately puts an end to the call centre run-around and

I am talking to a named person who puts a stop to the hijack.

A week later I get letter from "the cock-ups" department of the company who tried to hijack our supply. "Sorry we cocked up and quoted your meter number when transferring supply for another customer. I think "yeah right meanwhile I 've had a lot of aggravation". Thinking about it I fire up my PC and knock up an invoice for £50 administration charge for the work they've caused me and I send it off. A week later I get letter letter "sorry for the inconvenience we will send you £25 for the inconvenience as a good will payment". Now do I send them a statement of account showing £25 still owing?

I have been going through the same thing..I invoced EDF for £1800 for loss of earnings tryin to sort it all out, they paid every single penny. On my part I think working for a major law firm helped, but keepon at them and they ill pay ouut. Threaten with court proceedings if you can..

• 2 years later...

When this happens to you, £50.00 will seem quite a paltry sum. This is a growing problem and unless OFGEN steps in and cleans up the industry with fines it will continue and £50.00 per customer will not hurt them in the least. The Power companies are greedy not the individuals.