Inland Revenue Penalties

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As we all now know, penalties imposed by banks for returned cheques etc are unlawful as they are punative in nature.

Does the same apply to those penalty charges imposed by the Inland Revenue for late payment of tax? These charges are actually labelled PENALTY charges! They do not cover any extra costs incurred by the Inland Revenue and are simply and without argument, punative in every sense of the word. A profiteereing exercise for the Treasury. These penalties can be quite harsh - £100 for sending a confusing piece of paper back 1 day late, 5%, yes 5% of any outstanding tax after a certain time period (and they are still charging you interest at 8% APR).

Or do the Inland Revenue, as usual, consider themselves above the law?

Once your Tax Return has eventually been filed and if you do not owe them any money, they will remove the late filing fee and any "interest" that it may have accrued.

I have recently received a tax REBATE of £1,200.00!!!

All late filing charges and interest have been dropped, my only gripe is that an amount of £44.78 was deducted from the total sum. This was called a "Repayment Supplement", what the hell is that then?

Please support this site!

Any advice or opinions given by me are so given in the belief that they are totally my personal opinion and should not be construed as sound legal advice. If in doubt, employ a suitably insured professional and hope to GOD that they know what they are talking about.:cool:

I am about to start the process against the following:

Abbey,(MBNA) Citi, Debenhams (GE Capital) HSBC, Mint, (RBOS) Virgin (MBNA)

It should have been added! A repayment suppliement is the Revenue's way of paying you interest on money it owes you. Unless this was an adjustment to the repayment supplement, you should ring up your Revenue office and complain.

This subject has featured in several threads. Try searching Inland Revenue, you should find some of them.

Repayment supplement is the interest paid to you on an overpayment. I'm not sure how come it's been deducted from any overpayment but I suggest you get in touch with the helpline and ask them to explain it.