DVLA Fine

ymk101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello a

First time caller I have scraped my vehicle on the end of July but i still head license until Feb 2008 so i sent to DVLA form V14 (Refund/Sorn Application) for a refund, I got the refund 2 weeks later. but i did NOT inform them that i scraped my car.

I received a letter today with a fine for- failing to relicense the vehicle of -£80 (£40 if paid Within 14 Days) plus £30 for road tax between July and today.

Do i stand a chance or should a pay up?:?

Any help or advice good or bad would be welcomed.

Hi. When you filled out the form to refund the tax disc are you sure that you ticked the box to SORN the vehicle? If you did, write to DVLA explaining that you declared SORN and ask for a copy of your refund application to be sent to you. This has happened to me a few times now and when I have asked for a copy they have every time taken no further action.

Did you dismantle the vehicle yourself or sell it to a scrap dealer?

If it was scrapped officially then the scrap dealer should have notified DVLA. We have been notified more than once by the DVLA that a vehicle we formerly owned, or indeed did still own, had been scrapped. Also, presumably when you asked for a refund of the tax you must have had to tick a box on the form stating why you were applying for the refund or they would not have sent it:confused:

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

The car was scraped by my garage and he is not an official scrapper. Gold Lady there is not any box to tick on the refund form if you scrape the vehicle,so basically you can get a refund just by sending the disc.

The car was scraped by my garage and he is not an official scrapper. Gold Lady there is not any box to tick on the refund form if you scrape the vehicle,so basically you can get a refund just by sending the disc.

When selling the car to the garage, irrespective of what he is going to do with it, you should have sent the yellow slip from your V5 informing DVLA that you had disposed of the vehicle into the motor trade. There is a box on the refund form to declare SORN which you should tick when refunding a tax disc if you continue to be the owner. I would inform DVLA straight away that you have sold the car, before they start fining you for not informing them of a change of ownership.

I would write and explain the situation and say that you thought by cancelling the road tax you had told them the car had been scrapped. If you have filled the form in wrongly, or perhaps you did tick the box, as you have never scrapped a car before and didn't know what to do, then sorry Mr DVLA but please don't charge me as the car no longer exists.

That's what I would do, but someone else might think otherwise.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I would write and explain the situation and say that you thought by cancelling the road tax you had told them the car had been scrapped. If you have filled the form in wrongly, or perhaps you did tick the box, as you have never scrapped a car before and didn't know what to do, then sorry Mr DVLA but please don't charge me as the car no longer exists.

That's what I would do, but someone else might think otherwise.

Don't forget the golden rules when dealing with the DVLA:

1. Any mistakes they make are your fault

2. Any mistakes you make are your fault, and means you are a criminal

3. You are responsible for checking their database to ensure accuracy.

4. You are responsible for making sure they read your letters. You are responsible for receiving their letters.

4. They are permitted to override any law of the land they see fit if it means they can fine you.

4. If you do not comply with 1, 2, 3 or 4, you will be fined.

• 2 weeks later...

Catch 22 coming up.

Car (90,000 miles) had road tax due in November.

Couldn't do it on line as no valid MOT.

Failed MOT due to alleged "noisy" wheel bearing and service station is waiting for the part.

We are now into December, of course, so does this mean another contribution to the government coffers coming up?

Vandermerwe

Rather quick SORN declaration back dated sounds like a plan to me V

BANK CHARGES

Others

Now that everything is computerised they know if you have tax and MOT - or not.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Gee whiz Goldlady. That was quick!

But won't it will be shown on the Big Brother computer that I drove it during November to the MOT station, as well as on a CCTV camera when I filled up with petrol?

Don't want to get done for perverting the course of justice.

Could get the SORN notice in the mail tomorrow though.

Regards.

Van

Van I think you are allowed to drive it to the garage. I know when I had no tax/mot on mine I made sure the garage had the booking in their diary just incase I got stopped.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Thanks Goldlady.

The garage has it booked in, but with my luck they won't have the bearing!

Strictly speaking, it's not the bearing itself but an ABS sensor behind it which, they say, breaks in about 50% of the jobs they do and that's what will cause the delay.

I know I can drive for a retest for the MOT, but this is a bit different and I see a load of argument and grovelling ahead.

I remember when I used to just go to the Post Office and buy the wretched disc (and complained at the cost of petrol = five bob a gallon!)

We live in interesting times.

Thanks for all your advice - will post the outcome.

Van

OH and I have just got ourselves new 'old' cars - the sort that can be fixed with a hammer and a few nuts and bolts and a trusty Haynes manual. None of this sensors malarkey. No warning light telling you to head for the nearest main dealer - if they need attention they make strange noises or stop dead. :p

BANK CHARGES

Others

Van I think you are allowed to drive it to the garage. I know when I had no tax/mot on mine I made sure the garage had the booking in their diary just incase I got stopped.

You are allowed to drive it to/from MoT test and/or repair. It is classed as an exempt vehicle for these purposes. It must obviously be insured to be on the road.

However, within the regime of continuous registration, the vehicle must either have a current VED or a current SORN declaration. If you cannot tax it since it has no current MoT certificate, you must SORN it.

In case you are caught driving SORN'd vehicle on the road, you must have an appointment with the garage for the MoT test and/or repair. Get this in writing and keep it.