Abbey National Charges

dunncha
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just been hit by a load of charges from Abbey National. Rather than go for the throat immediately I thought I would write a nicely letter and see if I can get in under the wire.

Thoughts - Observations - Pointers - Tell me I wasting my time

Dear Sir

In June 2007 my account went into the red by £9.50. At that time I was charged a Paid Item Fee of £30.00 and an Unauthorised Overdraft Charge of £20. I was unaware of this at the time and I was subsequently charged a further £20 on the 15-08-2007 (Unauthorised Overdraft Charge) and further charge of £20 on the 15-09-2007. (Unauthorised Overdraft Charge). Making a total charges for the £90.00

As soon as I became aware there was a problem I called into my nearest branch Leamington Spa to resolve the issue as soon as possible. I must compliment you on your staff as they helped me resolve the issue as best to their ability, but I eventually had to speak to somebody on the phone which worked as part of your ‘Collections’. I agreed with Collections to immediately bring my account back into credit and I was assured by the operator that all further charges would be suspended.

I was unhappy with the level of charges I had incurred so I contacted your customer services which agreed to refund me two of the penalty charges and reiterated to me that no further charges were pending.

I have subsequently received my statement for 27th September to 24th October which I have closely checked and now it appears you are to further charge me £25 Unauthorised Overdraft/Instant Overdraft Monthly Fee.

Why am I being charged this fee when I have been assured by your Customer Services staff on 2 separate telephone calls that no further charges pending.

And why is this fee £5 more expensive than previous Unauthorised Overdraft Fee.

I am well aware of the OFT Investigation and Court Case regarding unfair charges and the suspension of all cases relating to this but when are these charges going to stop.

I have already been charged not counting refunds £50.00 and with the addition of a further £25.00 I think a £75.00 accrued Penalty Charge is going beyond reasonable or fair.

I expect your reply.

Thats a good letter, I would state that you will give them 14 days to reply after which you will instigate court proceedings (presuming that you want to go this far). but I would say that if you do say this then you need to be prepared to go through with it.

We can help you with this, but you may get lucky, they may just refund, I have head of this happening, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 2 months later...

My new hobby. Abbey Baiting.

Ding!! Ding!! Round 2 after many letters from the Abbey claiming to be investigating my complaint (Please bear with us while we think of an excuse or you forget about this or the court case finishes) I have received a letter telling me that their charges are valid and because I have already had a partial refund I am not entitled to any more. Now please go away!!

So not one to let them off the hook I have penned a new letter. Reminding them of what they should have been investigating. This is the new letter.....Comments, Thoughts, pointers....

I am perfectly happy to wait until the court case decides in all our favors so don't really want to threaten court action. I'm doing this for fun8)

I always wanted to sign a letter 'Angry from Coventry'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Account Charges

Dear Sir

Thank you for your reply to my complaint. I am slightly confused as you have spent 3 months investigating my complaint and have failed to answer or acknowledge the reason for my complaint.

The primary reason for my complaint was I was told at the time I brought my account back into credit by your Customer Services that all subsequent charges to my account had been cancelled. I was told this on two separate occasions by two separate departments. But I was still charged a further £25.00.

I was first told this by your Collections Department when I brought my account back into credit and subsequently by your Customer Services Department when they made their good will gesture of refunding two of my charges. I was informed the cancellation of further charges was part of this good-will gesture

I am sure the voice recordings made for staff training purposes will confirm this.

As I have stated before I am well aware of the OFT Investigation and Court Case relating to unfair bank charges which I consider this to be. I am also aware of the stay which has been placed on reclaiming by customers preventing me challenging the level of these charges.

What I am questioning why I was told there would be no further charges when there was, and why was this charge £5 more expensive than previous charges.

I note from the information leaflet you have sent me ‘Key Features and Price List’ that charges are referred to as fee’s. The statement I received from the Abbey National in Leamington Spa in October 07 refers to these fee’s as charges. This is what I consider these monies to be. Also having read very careful this leaflet I can not find any reason or justification for the charge variance. So could you please explain the variance.

Your reply is expected

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 1 month later...

Banking Code.................

Hope somebody can answer this for me: I seem to remember that the Banking Code has a statement about charges being 'Fair and Transparent'

What does this Transparency mean? I have been trying to get Abbey to clarify why I have been charged monies and why there has been a variation in these charges. My final charge was £5 higher than previous charges.

Every time I write to them I get a similar letter stating that I cannot have my money back even thought I haven't asked for my money back...rather and explanation of these charges and the variation of these charges.

There seem to keep ignoring my specific questions and answering me a general non-committal way. I would like to remind them of their obligations under the banking code for transparent charging.

Have I caught them on a point which they cannot answer or am I wasting my time

:?

Hi there, they will not answer you and these charges are the crux of the matter, so my advice would be to issue an LBA and then file at court.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi all,

I know it is miles too late now, but if you have received charges for just one month, I normaly call them have a heated debate and they refund me strait away. Don't take there BS and keep fighting. You must win on your first phone call or you will have to start the court process.

A late Simcap. (Sorry)