style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its not for me, luckily I only have 1 default.

But a friend of mine is in debt about £40,000 and now is on a low income so has not been paying debtors.

I have seen advertisments for IVA so was going to suggest it, but I dont really know much about it so would like some opinions please.

Also the big banks are now not automatically agreeing to be bound to accept any proposed IVA.

For an IVA to work all or a majority of the creditors have to accept. Its worth a try but go for a free on not one you pay for.

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

Some info here

Generally they involve living on a very tight budget for 5 years. Has she got assets to protect?

She does have a mortgage and the mortgage company have agreed lower payments till they are in a better position.

The rest of the debts are personal loans and secured loans, credit cards etc

I`ve just rang her, she has no equity in the house as they borrowed it, hence the debt of secured loans!

Well prhaps bankruptcy may be an option then, if they had not other debts could they realistically afford the mortgage and secured loan.

Would renting in their area be cheaper?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I also think she should also give this lot a whirl.

National Debtline

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It is scary and a lot of people do bury their head in the sand. As she has no equity, there would be nothing for the OR to take so it is unlikely she would lose the house. But she does need to be sure that she can afford the house, as in a years time if she ends up repossesed she ould end up with a shortfall, which will be another debt she can't pay and she doesn't want to be in the position of facing BR a 2nd time.

In the link I gave you above - there is the links to debt charities including National Debtline.

A realistic budget is her first step to sorting this out.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Sorry can I just ask....if you declare yourself bankrupt can the secured loans be written off or just the personal loans?

The secured loan and the mortgage remain, and provided she can pay them nothing will happen to them. The unsecured debt gets written off.

Get her to phone the national debtline & also local consumer counciling service.

£27,500 in an unsecured loan. All other debts are a few hundred here and there

In which case bankruptcy for £12,500 is prob not the best idea.

Can she remortgage to a better rate and include the secured loan in that?

She has just rang me with the wording from the most recent letter for the unsecured to see if you can offer advice on a response to them.

It has not yet been passed on to a DCA.

Can you take a look and maybe advise on her options, Thanks

Unsecured balance - £27,558

Further to our default notice of 3rd Oct and your failure to pay outstanding arrears of £498 we are now terminating your loan agreement.

We therefore demand you pay the sum of £27,558 plus interest from the date of this notice until full payment has been recieved at a rate of £5.74 per day.

Failure to pay within the next 14 days may result in instructing our solicitors to recover the amount through the county court.

In which case bankruptcy for £12,500 is prob not the best idea.

Can she remortgage to a better rate and include the secured loan in that?

Apparently not because of negative equity.

I am so glad I am not a home owner, it sounds all too complicated to me!!