• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI wrong doings? LSTB/C&G mortgage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, im yet another newie to the forum.

first off i was successful with my bank charges reclaiming, it took little effort just 2 letter and Lloyds TSB refunded most of what i was asking for.

i thought this behaviour by the banks was bad enough, but hearing about the PPI's as well............what can i say. i thought it was off at the time but hard sell and advise from the seller that i needed to take the PPI to ensure i got the loan approved, i folded.

more recent, sent of 2 letters to reclaim. first letter came back. 'sorry but you are out of luck, you reclaim is time barred as the PPI and loan was over 6 years ago' (January 2000)

however the loan and product were over a 5 year period. final payment made November 2004 which is within the last 6 years. so i wrote a second letter advising that included in the first was misinformation about the 6 year rule. second letter came back' buzz off you have no hope, take it to the FOS'

my question is there anyone else out there going through this process at the moment and if sim. circ. how did you manage to resolve it.

i intend to pursue this matter if i can, but need advise on where to take my complaint next if the FOS wont deal with it becasue of the time bar rule. the really annoying thing is that Lloyds TSB are not even denying the mis selling of my PPI, but are relying on the 6 year rule to block my right to reclaim.

there must be something i can do.

Thanks to the moderator that suggested i start a new thread on my PPI case. unfortunately, computer illit and the simplist thing can take me a couple of hours to work out how to accomplish so some of the information below is a repeat of my very first post as easiest and quickest...

sold PPI with a loan in 2000. i didnt want or ask for the PPI but felt had to agree to take out the PPI to ensure i got the loan.

the loan was paid off in 2004, with no defaults, but there were some months i struggled like hell to ensure the payments were kept up (well i did ask for the loan in the first place - but no the PPI!). fixed payment every month of £293 over a 60 month period.

following advice within the forum i sent off letter 1, reply came back pretty quickly basically advising me to go away 'time barred' and FOS wont go for it.

fine, no problem. second letter sent, querying the fact that although the agreement was in 2000, loan not paid off until 2004, surely this means i am still covered under the 6 year rule.

reply speedy beyond belief. ' we cannot make you a further offer, you really have no hope missess, we told you already go away and find enclosed a leaflet which backs up what we are saying refer to page 8'.

ok lets look at page 8. no leaflet! plus they never made me an offer in their first letter anyway!

most annoying of all is they are not even denying the miss selling!

OK seen on the forum about time limitation. thank god for the link contained in one of them. read relevant section, however another forum posting advised that the TLA act has been under reveiw for past 4 years and due to change??!!

basically is there anyone out there that has a sim experience to mine? how did they go about resolving it? is it worth my pursuing (i really want to)

- i remember leaving that interview for the loan feeling bullied and feeling angry at myself for being week and allowing it, but feeling powerless about doing anything about it the PPI being sold to me by my own account manager! i begruded throughout the repayments the PPI included, and was so relieved once the payments were up endeavouring never to approach them for a loan again - please god!

today will be faxing off letter 3 with some of the execellent stuff from other postings (although these are within 6 year time frame - gotta try anyway).

including CCA, FSA principles, & LA.

anything else missed i can include later, as i am sure i will have a massive fight on my hands. i am preparing to have the matter heard at court.

it's funny but the emergence of this whole PPI buisness has brought back some of the feelings of uselessness and anger i felt at the time. christ i must be an elephant or something :-)

any advice and success stories sim to my case, most welcomed

excuse the length, but it is quite cathartic.

hello there,

i think we're having same experiences!you wrote on one of my threads about our similarities.Itoo had loan in 2000+now trying to get PPIback!

i'm bit further on than you tho-i've been told to sod off by NW lots of times now-i keep at em tho:D

i finished paying off my loan in 2004 but there is no info about it at all!it disappeared:rolleyes: i've been made an offer but bit pathetic really.

so keep at em;) shirl

Hello Lindyhop,

I am very pleased to inform you that I have successfully reclaimed back mis-sold ppi from the NW on a loan taken out in 2001 and 2 mis-sold ppi from M&S for 1998 and 2001.

Never mind what they state about the limitations act being six years. All these dodgy dealings are just coming to light now, because they have failed to disclose this info to you. Tell them it has only now become apparent to you with the fsa and oft investigation into mis-selling of ppi.

please read this link it is about claiming back bank charges, but it will follow the same principles

Claiming beyond 6 yrs - important new information!!!

Which bank is it your claiming from

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi

im with Lloyds TSB.

your good news story does cheer me though and inspires me for my own battle. thanks for details of the link i definately be reading it through before going to bed. yes i know i am sad, but how sad? i turned down a date so that i could concentrate on this :) but ive got him on the bandwagon now to get his credit card penalty charges and bank charges back:)

Regards

Hi i'm back again with another thread on PPI's again. for me this really has opened up a can of worms.

just recently i have spent hours reading through the posts, and my attention has now been drawn to the PPI attached to my mortgage which i expressly refused just over 10 year ago. the big thing is that i actually have in writing from LTSB/C&G a print of my interview with them for the mortage where the advisor recorded

'Protection:

no need has been indentifed at this reveiw

the client accepted the recommendations

Income

in the event of illness (my name) could experience a drop in living standards, however the client felt that she did not wish to protect her income

the client accepted the reccomendation'

LTSB/C&G having recorded that i advised that i didnt need or want their protection cover, i was astonished on going over paperwork to identify that since the start of my mortgage with LTSB PPI has been applied since 1996!!!!!!

now you may think that i didnt read the document 10+ year ago. i promise i did, i honestly dont know how i didnt realise about the PPI (but there you go), i think i must have been concentrating on the repayment figure and that i could afford it rather than taking in the breakdown.

i must add though the PPi is quoted on my mortgage quotation, having checked the following statements i cannot find any further reference to it. the statements just mention payments made and interest no seperate detail about the £20.00pm PPI. is this normal? if this information had been included with my statements i most definately would have picked up the additional charge and challenged it.

is my mortgage repaid? hell no, since then i have taken out a further loan, and you guessed it , checking through that paperwork there is an additional PPI on that as well. but this one is annoying as well because the loan was applied for over the phone. NO ONE asked me if i wanted the PPI, or explained about it being optional, but it has ended up on the new loan arrangement anyway. this time for £24.00pm. what a bleedin liberty. so far then that is approx £49.00pm on unless PPI's. i work in the public sector with pretty generous benefits and this was the case when i took out the mortgage initially (which is why i refused it) and was the same for the loan. aaaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhhh

now before i start firing on all cylinders, experienced forum members, does this look like a reclaim case. what are the chances of the C&G requesting immediate pay back of the remaining mortgage and secured loan?

i know i signed documents and that you should alway always read the small print, but for godsake its a bank, if you cant trust your bank who the hell can you trust. having told them i dont want their protection the first time and not being asked the second who would have thought that they would have included these charges anyway. Good God there are a large financial institution with a history going back about 300 years for christsake. what the hell is going on??

please excuse the rant. only just discovered the charges. i think i am in shock. im going for my bath now to try and calm down.

someone please help or tell me to shut up

Hello,

Posted on GT thread, but see you have started your own thread.

Have you calmed down now after your bath:-) .

I would say that you have the evidence of mis-selling with the mortgage ppi. Go after them with this.

The loan yes I would agree. Go after them with this. You may have to do 2 separate claims as It may be two separate departments that you need to deal with.

Anyway you have now learned the hard lesson, never, never trust any financial institute. They are after one thing only, your money by fair or foul means.

and of course we are now educating ourselves in their tactics and yes the worms are turning.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi again

quick update on this one. send formidable letter from template (amended to suit my own circumstance. to my utter disbelief the response was an exact copy of letter number 1 that was sent to me. i dont think my latest letter has been read, LTSB still think i will be referring the matter to the FOS when clearly my letter stated court action. at least this time the envelope contained an FOS leaflet which i wont even bother with.

so courts here i come.

it turns out that i have 2 over 6 years with lloyds and 1 within 6 year with C&C. i honestly dread looking through my other paperwork with other companies because of what i might find.

having checked through many threads there seems to be mixed views about applying to small claims on line. is it 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other?

Hello Lindy,

Welcome to the forum.

Never mind what they are telling you about the 6yrs limitation act. It has now been brought to you attention with the investigation of the FSA and OFT and recent coverage by the media. You did no know, because they have failed to disclose it to you.

There is a thread on the bank charges forum by Bankfodder discussing this issue. I think it is called why is no-one reclaiming over the 6yrs. If I can find it I will link it. It covers the limitation act.

Claiming beyond 6 yrs - important new information!!!

I would maybe write back to them one this point, before I rush off to court.

If you decide the court route, you are best to issue a N1 rather than use Money claim on line, Your particulars of the claim, will exceed the wordage you can use on MCOL

If you need help just ask.

thanks ever so much for you advice. very much valued. my letter number 3 did cover the issues about their failure to disclose and dismissing their defence of the limitations act, which is why i dont think this 3 letter was actually read. they have taken no notice of these points and sent out another standard letter.

maybe what i will do is get the name of the person above the team manager for my area and copy them into whats gone on so far. i do think it unreasonable that the person i have addressed letter 3 to, did not take the time to respond and handed my complaint back to the original advisor who obviously does not have the power to deal effectively with my complaint.

by the way did you watch Martin Lewis programme tonight on PPI's? he made it look very easy, too easy. i hope the banks/mortgage etc companies have got themselves extra staff in to deal with the flood of queries they will be getting on Monday morning :-)

thanks HHNF and Shirl

im trying to work out the interest on my ppi charges. i read through this thread, and using the figures already provided by Shirl tried to get to the same result, but couldnt, and cant figure out where im going wrong? (easily done)

the easiest one is

loan £10,000 +

PPI £2,388.10 (total added to loan amount) £52.34pm

interest (i think) 11.8 apr

£293.04 per month over 5 years

now repaid no claim made on PPI no defaults

I think the most simple way to work out the interest they applied to the premium is £52.34p X 69 = £3,140.40. This is the total amount payable over the term of 60months The premium was £2,388.10 so the interest was £752.30

Loan 48,500

17 years

apr 6.500 fixed at 5.99

PPI £24.25pm

total amount of ppi unknown never received any paperwork on it

monthly repayments £403.78

still ongoing This one is not so simple. I looks like you would have paid £24.25 X 204 months = £4,947, but this does not look right, or they gave it to you very cheap in comparison to the amount of the loan. Have you sent a full SAR for any information from them. Maybe send a ca request for a copy of the true credit agreement. This may make them sit up and listen. There are more ways of skinning a cat (yuk)

i have tried to access the spreadsheet, but on my computer the link does not take me straight to a spreadsheet but a site that is selling stuff. is this the right site?

I am going to cut and paste this post on your thread, so as not to hijack Shirls thread, so we can continue on yours:) and yes I did watch Mr I'm so clever, he did make it sound so easy. We must be going wrong somewhere, I haven't found it that easy. and what this about the fos yeah right, they will look at it if the claim was after 2004. So then the only option you have then is court. I may ring the fos on monday for clarification.

Hi Ukaviator

sorry you had to move the threat did i post it in the wrong place? this may sound really stupid but where has it moved to?

i have awful trouble finding stuff sometimes ie when i click on todays post, i only get 5 pages but those 5 pages may only cover the last couple of hours, where are the posts for earlier in the day? i have tried FAQ's in the hope that it's not just me that has trouble getting around the site, but in all honesty couldnt find the answer, so am still stumped.

now i know this particular response doesnt fit this particular thread, but i have no idea where else i would post it. honest to god this is not some kind of wind up.

by the way just so everyone will know who they have to deal with, how do i change my account name from Lindyhop to Dimwit?

apologies again

Hello Lindy,

Bless, we all started out as dimwits when we found this site, you will get there honest,

Obviously you started off in the welcome part of the forum and your thread has been moved to the ppi forum. You will be able to access the forum by scrolling up to where is says in little writing to the left hand side PPI click on this and you will find all of the other threads of people like yourself asking and offering information. Read around the different threads for info and if you need help just ask. :D

Thanks HHNF

but i do feel a bit thick. i thought that i had already posted in PPI section so couldnt understand where it was i being moved to. dherrrrrrr

so is it right? to keep updating i just keep finding myself and post reply to myself and do not start a new thread unless it is on another topic? other forum members will see if they open up a thread that my post has some new comment because it is posted that day? (dear god i need me horlicks)

you wouldnt think that i held a responsible position at work (well you would be right :-) ) .

once i get the hang of this im going to have to try and find my bits that i have posted all over the place and put them right before i get chucked off this site.

anyway i have sent off for my SARs im a bit of a horder so, have the paperwork provided to me, about the loans. however checking through my papers i note that i do not have copies of agreements with my signature. there is no way i would have thrown any of these out, im pretty tidy about that kind of thing. strange how i dont have a single copy of anything signed by me for my own records. this cant be right?!!

anyway back to the SARs i sent of the cheque and request to LTSB but not the insurance office which has been looking into and denying my reclaim. i did this becasue it was lloyds and not their insurance team that sold me the loan and PPI, plus as i do all my banking with the normal office that their would hold all my records and not the insurance sub office. dont know if this was the right thing to do, but i will happily pay another £10 to chase the insurance team if need be.

i havent applied for any cca's in truth becasue i already thought i had them, . but as mentioned no copies of agreements with my sighature and outlining terms and conditions that i have signed and agreed to. i will get the letter done this weekend to resolve this. one of the loans is over 10year (mortgage) but as it is still being paid i would have thought it was essential for them to still keep the cca until i have cleared the debt. another of the loans is from 2000, so i bet seeing this is the first one i am claiming for the paperwork on this will have been conveniently lost, but a least with this one (the one they actually told me about and make me take) they included the cost of the PPI but added it to my loan.

do you know this evening has been quite a treat, i was so disheartened after having received another standard letter. this really is a wonderful site for the support and information to keep me going.

Thanks HHNF

night night

update

have been a bit cheeky and replied to the standard letter received yesterday. my letter no 3 was personally addressed to a manager at LTSB, the response was not from her or acknowledged that someone was responding on her behalf, so i wrote back stating that i would not accept the standard letter as a proper response, requested that the person the letter addressed to or another of the same standing reply by the 5 November (14 day reply limit - plus a bit extra actually as not sure how long recorded delivery takes).

followed HHNF advice and including shorter details about their defence of time limitation being rubbish, that i was not intending to refer the matter to the FOS (who they appear to think is the only agency i can take my complaint to), but to court.

feeling quite militant (well until i get yet another standard letter back anyway :-)). at least they respond with the 'get stuffed' within a week. following Martin's programme last night it may take them a lot longer to respond because they will be inundated with claims for current refunds.

i dont mind too much though as this will give me time to sort out my POC? my letter 3 was the 'before action' letter. having checked the guide i dont think that i have missed anything have i?

another thing they said that they had tried to phone me, but i work and they only have my home number (how would the idiots expect to get me?) anyway is it other forum members experience to have them phone you up to tell you to get stuffed? what would be the purpose? do they ever want open up negoitation when they phone you? whats that all about then?

do i want to give them my work number? hell no, open plan office not convenient, or conducive to my showing my unprofessional side and giving them what for down the phone :-) - would i? :-) :-) :-).

Hi

cant seem to locate a POC for PPI's (if there is one). Prelims found no problem and POC for bank charges found.

is it the case that no CAG member has had the need to take things to this stage to date?

no problem i can cobble something together, just didnt want to 're invent the wheel' so to speak.

i think i will need to follow mine through as being told 'time barred' dont think they will budge, and want to prepare my paperwork whilst i have a bit of time and before i go away.

Thanks

Hi

cant seem to locate a POC for PPI's (if there is one). Prelims found no problem and POC for bank charges found.

is it the case that no CAG member has had the need to take things to this stage to date?

no problem i can cobble something together, just didnt want to 're invent the wheel' so to speak.

i think i will need to follow mine through as being told 'time barred' dont think they will budge, and want to prepare my paperwork whilst i have a bit of time and before i go away.

Thanks

Hello Lindyhop,

There is no poc sticky or template for poc as yet. Although some peeps have issued claims against companies, no-one has attended a hearing.

There are a few kicking around the forum. Tomterm has just helped Jangles with one and it looks good. We could do with a general guide for the poc for ppi, that can be amended for individual use. I will have a look around, because I have a feeling that I am going to need to do one soon.:lol:

thought id have a look at the POC paperwork templates and amend as necessary for my PPI. but christ it looks more complicated than i would have imagined. my understanding is that i will be using a some of the info from my prelim letter, stuff from the limitations act, some of the FSA reccommendation stuff i should imagine, but i am stumped when it comes to the terms /regulations etc. do i use the insurance group terms or use the bank terms? it was someone at the bank that sold me the policy not someone from the insurance group side, or are they one and the same? additionally where do i find the regulations i need to refer to? is this with the FOS/FSA? or some other banking/insurance code?

why do i want to do this at this stage and not wait. (refer earlier post's) the POC looks like it will take me some time to prepare. i have a little bit of time for the preparation now, if i can get the bulk of it done i can refer back to my saved draft later and fill in the blanks when i need the doc. i dont want to be in a position whereby i am possibly feeling rushed and possibly omit or get things wrong on this type of court document. through years of training at work i have had knocked into me preparation, preparation, preparation, and in this circumstance the preparation ethos definately applies as i am fully aware of the immense forthcoming battle with Lloyds which i am treating exactly as i would a work situation where i sometimes do presentations at court, (but not on this subject matter). (county court - not the big boys)

it may seem that i am getting ahead of myself, but all i am doing is preparing for an eventuality, which unfortunately in my personal life i dont and/or dont get the opportunity to do often enough :-) (isnt this the same for us all?)

anyway all advice welcome.

when complete will post draft for amendment/comment/correction for other forum members to laugh at or use as they see fit :-) :-) :-) teehee

Now why we would laugh, I would be more than welcome to have a look at it, for you and myself.

The poc is truely not easy to do. each one is different.

I have posted up slinibucks logic behand his claim and he was successful before court issue

I

Hi Jivebunny couldnt find slinibucks either, but that doesnt mean anything, im still trying to work my way around this site. HHNF has vast experience of this site and will get back to us when able.

HHNF, read on another thread which i have lost and cant find now, your post on ppi and your conc.

have thought about this i looked into a stand alone ppi to cover my mortgage and secured loan. on line checked with the post office and the monthly payments would be cheaper, i wouldnt be tied in for years, no single premium being sold so no years of added on interest.

however they would only pay out for a year. my employment covers sicknes for that period of time anyway, which appears to be the main purpose for most ppi. sorry and life insurance, which for me is n/a.

their maybe other stand alone ppi's out there and if i shopped around a bit more may find cheaper than the post office. now that the ppi [problem] has been brought into the open main lenders will hopefully become more competitive and upfront about their selling of these policies.

in the meantime cant wait to get the info on my enforced PPI's from lloyds, cant wait to see what it is that i have been paying for. (wait a minute have i asked for it? is it included as part of the SAR's or CCA?)

has anyone ever seen a full copy of what their ppi covers (especially at the time of purchase)

Hi HHNF

i have tried to look up the slinibucks posting and could not find it. is it under any other named thread?

thanx

Hello

Apologies, apologies, I thought it was skibucks, for the username, how disrespectful. Have a look at this thread.

Hhmmmm.....Very Interesting

You will find the info here

Sorry will try to do better next time

Hi HHNF

thanks for getting back with the info and providing the link

had a look at Skbuncks thread. excellent. given me some more to add to my POC and help it look a bit more professional.

checking through threads again this evening alarmed to learn that they may be bank staff reading through these and not to use proper full names. i m such a bleedin innocent (where this is concerned anyway ;) ). maybe wont post my draft POC on forum but will PM you with it to you if you would still like a look?

oh yeah had a look at 'Martin's site' apparently his site was sabo' ed for 3 days which affected the PPI backlash taking off as expected (people were coming up with error page). this apparently co incided with the programme going out - and there was me hoping the finance insit would be swamped :( , but at least it means that the instit's wont have an excuse for not responding to exisiting enquiries quickly.

Shirls

Hi

update:) yeah right what update. LTSB have obviously placed me in the 'to be ignored tray' over 12 days now for CCA. not even an acknowledgement. it looks like my request for my SARs (seperate request made a different time) being ignored as well.

Oh LTSB if only you realised how lonely i feel without your telling me to p off letters. Sad cow that i am.

phone banking are still talking with me though, and remain very nice and helpful, even when i tell them to bog off when they try to sell me a new product.

so its the waiting game, and im impatient as i need these docs to finish off my poc:mad:

started prelim with C&G PPI this one not timed barred as i will be paying off this loan even after im dead (just dont ask how ok,) if im buried with a mobile, no doubt i will get the harrassment calls whilst enjoying enternal rest in my coffin. even worse though, what if LTSB/C&G debt dept have direct lines straight to heaven and hell? doesnt bear thinking about. but imagine it.

God. 'Shirley there is a telephone call for you'.

Shirley. 'oh, thanks God, but who is it, im busy stitching one of my angel wings back on, after it got pulled off in a tussle with that old loan advisor i was telling you about, you know the one that works for LTSB and who wouldnt agree to my getting my mis sold PPI back'.

God. 'oh, right i remember. no need to worry though Shirls, i've put the loan advisor git downstairs ;) well anyway shirls, back to this call its someone else from LTSB debt collection team, something about money owed and not left in the secret place you wrote and told them about before you popped your clogs.......... '

i told them exactly where they could go find their money alright;)

what joy! Not!