The Porters v Halifax Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

19th June 2006

Posted DPA letter to the Head office in Halifax, enclosed a £10 postal order for the bank. Await for my charges to come back now.

Mrs Porter has sent one for her account too, hopefully we can try and keep the claim running concurrently.

23rd June 2006

This morning recieved a letter from the bank telling me that they wish to charge me £39 for a card payment of £6.99 that failed to clear, it put me just overdrawn by £2! Contacted the bank and spoke to customer services, told them I dont want them to take it, they said its the banks policy and right to do so! NOT! I told them so too, got put thru to another dept in Scotland that is in charge of the DPA. Although they said they have no record of my letter they told me details I had put in it, and also offered to refund £5 of the £10 sent as they only charge a fiver, *laughing* I never told the lady in Scotland that I had placed a £10 postal order in the letter which she states they havent got. She has arranged for all my charges info to be sent to me.

Stick with - it will all come back to you in the end. ;)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Thank you, we intend to see this thru to the end and will have no problems going all the way if need to. Still no reply from the bank we are sitting her with itchy trigger fingers! :grin:

Sometimes they will write, other times they will call, and yet other times they do both or neither! There's no guarantee on how they will deal with the progress of your claim, except that they will pay out in the end! :p

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Spoke to the bank robbers today, they have told me that they have NOT recieved any form of letters from my partner or I. We sent our letter to the Head office, have been told that between it arriving in Trinity Road and being sent over to Leeds where they deal with the post, it has been lost, yes.... BOTH of them.

Have now been given the following address:- Halifax PLC, Po box 548, Leeds, LS1 1WU.

We have now lost another £20, because of these people and starting to really get on a high horse about this! Not a happy bunny as they say!

They have also given us a fax number 08456039009, but how many of us have a fax in our homes, mmmmm not many cos these people charge us so much nobody can afford one!

We shall now try again!

Have you lost the money? Did they cash the PO (check with the Post Office if you have the slip)? If so, don't send anymore money - just send a fresh copy of the DPA letter, and change the bit where it mentions payment to read 'Please note that you have already taken payment for this.' or words to that effect.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

It might also be worth mentioning in the letter that the 40 days started 2 days after the date of your first DPA letter - it might force them to get their fingers out! ;-)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Recieved a letter for both accounts from the halifax saying that, they acknowlegde the letter requesting specific info on the account and confirm that copies of duplicate statments have been sent under separate cover. also with regards to the request for info relating to manual intervention on the account they have no obligation to record this info and therefore unable to assist with this request.

They have sent us full statements to which we have gone through with a fine tooth comb and found in excess of £10 000 of bank charges are we still ok to proceed to the next step with the statements or do we need something else. Others on the site have been talking about the investors report.

You've got over £10,000 in charges? Is this just over the past 6 years?

On one account or multiple accounts?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

To play it safe you would need to claim the past 6 years charges first, and then do the rest as a seperate action later. Do the 6 years charges from one account still come to more than £5,000?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

yes its all from 1 account, i havent even seen my other statements yet from the other account, the total length of time we have had the account is only 7 years

• 3 weeks later...

26th July, sent prelim letter today telling them that they have failed to respond positively to our previous corrispondence after i recieved a letter saying they will deal with my complaint within 4 weeks. Hope I was right sending it and keeping to my schedule and not theres. Fingers crossed X

Exactly right - they have to dance to your tune!! ;)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

28th July, recieved a letter today saying that for our joint accoun thtey will offer a 'goodwill gesture' of £130 and telling me off for getting charged in the first place. Have got an acceptance form her with the letter too, will reject this and push on for the lot now because they owe me over £600. And thats no REAL goodwill is it? Am I right in rejecting this offer and if so how do I go about doing so? Can anybody shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks Guys

Rather than rejecting it, it is better (and looks good in court) to accept it as a partial payment only, with intention to pursue the balance. You can include this at the start of the LBA letter.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

In that case you could send them a quick letter to that effect. Note that will either withdraw the offer or increase it to a larger, but still derisory, amount.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Ok thank you, sorry I was a bit unclear in my past posts. I sent the prelim, recieved a letter saying 'our complaint was being' dealt with in the next 4 weeks. In the mean time the deadline was passed so moved to the next step. Will get a letter drawn up tonight to be sent to the relevent department. Thanks for the help wife and I, we have passed on this website details to nearly all our family and friends so hopefully we can all get in on this.

Would this letter be ok?

our details

Halifax PLC,

Po box 548,

Leeds, LS1 1WU

28/07/2006

’GOOD WILL GESTURE’

Dear Sir/Madam,

YOUR REFERENCE xxxxxxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx Roll Number xxxxxxxxx

Thank You for you response to my complaint dated 26/07/06, I note that you have offered £130.00, I will accept this amount as partial payment only, with the intention to purse the balance.

Yours sincerely

'pursue', but otherwise OK.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing come thru the post yet so they are now trying to tread water again, I originally accepted as part payment their 1st offer of £130, phoned the bank today and was offered £379 this time which i am willing to accept on our joint account. But awaiting for a response for the big claim which we will go all the way with. They are now a step behind behind with the big claim and spoke to the bank today asking for an update, they told me at first they havent dealt with it but said they will deal with it now after i told them i will be sending court letters today.

i am keeping an eye on this post as 10,000 is alot of money, nothing to be ashamed about you should be angry that you lost os much money and nothing else! good luck with it all!¬

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the bank today after recieving a 2nd holding letter they are now telling us that they have 8 weeks to deal with our request and that we can put any deadlines we like they DONT have to keep to them! Cheeky buggers obviously not impressed with this, are they just treading water now looking for a way out of paying us the money which they owe us?

Well the short of it is, WE WILL go to court if we need to!