• Tweets

• Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Can a PPC (claimant) refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI - Correct Prodedure to claim back useless monthly PPI payments?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guy's

I am new to this particular forum, although I do have some experience in claiming back charges on other BAG forums.

My question is, does one follow the same format. 1. send preliminary letter, 2. LBA, 3. if the money is not refunded, then Issue a County Court Claim?

Also if one has to issue a CCC would it go onto an N1

Basically my problem re: PPI is against three credit card companies. I claimed on all three of the PPI policies because I became unwell, back in 2002, all three of my claims were eventually successful. However, the insurance payments were only for a limited time (at the time I didn't realise, due to the cleverly worded policies) and when the insurance payments ended I was left with huge debts to all three CC companies, the debts are made up of useless PPI monthly payments, that I had continued to pay all through my PPI claims, plus interest, as the monthly premiums are treated in the same manner as a purchase/transaction and then of course, charges because the insurer was often late in paying the cc company (I am in the process of getting refunds on the charges)

My illness, became long term but because of the wording on the policies, I was unable to make another claim - meaning that because I have not returned to work, I cannot make another claim, even though I have paid the monthly premiums up until quite recently! Also, any claim could be viewed as my having a pre-existing condition.

Not quite like car insurance is it!

Oh No, you can only have one accident - you can only claim once!

At the point of sale of the PPI approx. 6 years ago, I was not given sufficient information about the PPI that I agreed to when applying for credit card, it was a secondary box on the cc application form, which offered me 'Peace of Mind'.

Please advise me of the correct, step by step method in reclaiming the money that I paid out for something that could not be used.

Has anyone got a template preliminary letter?

Thanks

Angry Cat

Hi angry cat

im new to the ppi thing tooo so i cant help you with much

Ive used the info and letters that reidnet gave on his reid v lloyds 2 ppi insurance

It seems hes the one in the know!

good luck

Halifax cc Won settled in full after moneyclaim.

MBNA WON SETTLED IN FULL....

IKEA Data Protection Act sent 12/7/06 prelim sent 11/08/2006 gone to moneyclaim Ikea said they,d pay up but have yet to see the money

Halifax current Won!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your response....

I have looked at the reid v lloyds 2 ppi and found the thread very enlightening!

However, my situation is different because the PPI that I had applies to Credit Cards, as opposed to a Loan.

If anyone is in the process of claiming back monies for credit card PPI, I would be pleased to know how they are proceeding...and if there is a suggested preliminary letter.

Love AC

HI AC,

I would go along the same lines to recalim your PPI the same way as if it was PPI on a loan. Write to them in the usual manner asking for a refund on your PPI. You will have to give them your reason as to why the PPI your are requesting a refund on is unsuitable or if you are claiming that the actual PPI was mis sold.

Good luck

If I can help you out I will, If not Im sure some others here will help out.

Ian

• Haha 1

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thank You Reidnet !!

For some time now I have been in protracted correspondence with one of the CC companies (MBNA) who provided me with a Final Response. Due to that fact, they will not enter into any more communication with me.

Foolishly, I took my dispute to the FOS, who were useless! the FOS clearly did not fully comprehend the full facts. FOS investigated my Dispute for months and eventually ruled on the side of MBNA, I then appealed because of the FOS's incompetance but of course you cannot appeal against an Ombudsmans decision!!! The only further advice that I was offered from the FOS was, that I could take the matter to Court.

Yes, I now know that Mr. Ombudsman. However, at the time it did not seem to be a realistic step to take, given the astronomical costs involved in Litigation. At the time, I had not joined the BAG, my only source of information was by searching the internet, plus some advice from IBAS. Therefore, taking action against a major credit card provider re: PPI appeared to be an impossible task both financially and legalistic knowledge wise.

I will now start the process in reclaiming the unuseable premiums from all three companies:-

MBNA, Morgan Stanley Bank International Bank Limited & Egg plc who have all treated me in such a despicable manner sending debt collectors after me for debts that I now do not acknowledge, all whilst I was/am unwell. Debts made up of useless PPI premiums, interest and Penalty Charges.

I have issued a County Court Claim against Egg plc to reclaim Penalty Charges, could this claim be amended, to include the PPI. Perhaps that would complicate matters? what is your opinion.

Love AC

Hi AC

I've been struggling with PPi for months now and been a bit too busy to post here. The problem seems to be that pretty well every case is different - there is no clear cut route to follow as with unlawful charges. My claim is with the Ombusdman but I don't hold out any great hopes. Whilst that is going on I'm trying to investigate the legal route via the SCC but it is slow going. I have access to a legal library via a client so I'm going to look at contract law etc. Proving that PPI was missold is not going to be easy but I'll post anything I find in my PPI thread

Hi Keith-

Thanks for your response-

Your right, every case is slightly different but the same principle must apply!

Have you looked at the CAB super Complaint, it was about PPI and makes for very interesting reading.

Re: The FOS, I personally gave them the 'thumbs down' ages ago, In my humble opinion, the are totally incompetant, they take too long to look at complaints and they are biased, after all it is the Financial Industry that basically finance them!!

Many members have sent letters to the FOS quoting a 'Vote of No Confidence'.

The FOS is a quango that was formed by the FSA who are a government body. However, the FOS state that they are not a government body!?

I personally requested a Freedom of Information Act disclosure regarding my case but was turned down.....I also requested a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) but was informed by the FOS that it would not reveal wery much?

Scandalous.

In a nutshell don't waste your time with them, the FOS will take for ever, drive you mad and at the end of the day, state that they will not uphold your complaint

You are quite right to look at contract law, that is were the answer lies.

Please be aware, that the above comment about the FOS is simply my opinion that is based upon my own experience - I could write a book!!!

Love AC

Hi

The FOS does not have a good reputation - they find in favour of the client (across all complaints) in about 50 - 60%% of cases so its not a stunning record. They do have several case studies listed where PPI has been refunded. I sent in my complaint as it was free and gave me time to dig deeper into the legal aspects. I have a long list of background info, case studies, contacts, FSA, FOS, CAB BBC publications etc which I have been trying to collate for some time and which I intend to post on my thread - there are just not enough hours. At the end of the day I fully expect to find myself in court but I need to get my head round contract law. My experiences of Ombudsmen are not great - I once took on the government via the Parliamentary Ombudsman and ended up giving evidence to a Parliamentary Select Committe. PPI ought to be a doddle after that - if only! Mind you I didn't win.

I went to the FOS with my complaint too...That was a pure waste of good paper and a stamp..

They never even considered the complaint as they stated GE Money were not under their jurisdiction at the time...Thanks for nothing..lol

Also went to the FSA - They replied that they dont deal with individual cases but have passed my complaint onto the department that Monitor GE Money.

I also wrote to the FISA who GE Money / Purpleloans are regulated by..and Surprise Surprise ..Not even an acknowledgement of my complaint so far.

Ive also had my final FO letter from GE Money, so its a case of getting the statement of claim etc completed and head off to court with it, which is going to be fun too.. Because its around £5k Im going to look at heading down through the English Court System..Its just crap being in Scotland with the Small Claim Limits here of £750.00.

Ian

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

hi AC i have placed a claim with egg with the PPI, Charges and Default removal, I personaly think doing them all together helps especialy with the charges part as they tend to pay up everything as what happened with me with HSBC CC i had £60 worth of charges and £550 worth of PPI i was claiming back of which they paid up.

SETTLED CASES

LTSB (CC) £20 21-8-06

HSBC (CC) £600 19-10-06

HSBC (Ac) No.1 £1900 25-10-06

RBS (CC) £900 25-10-06

Smile (Ac) £1300 17-11-06

A&L (Ac) No.1 £400 23-11-06

A&L (Mortgage ERC) £3900 4-12-06

LTSB (Ac) £200 13-12-06

A&L (Ac) No.2 £120 19-12-06

HSBC (Ac) No.2 £650 29-12-06

LTSB (Business) £1700 13-2-07

RBS (Ac) £4500 + Default Removal 17-3-07

Barclays (Bus) Warrant of Execution 10-3-07 not used yet

ONGOING CASES

Egg (CC) N1 Filed £1300 + Default Removal Judgment Order 9/1/07 In my Favour

Barclays Business loan & 2 accs. S.A.R N1 filed Judgment in Default isued 15/2/07

HSBC (CC) have failed to produce Credit Agreement

TO DO CASES

Egg (Loan)

LTSB (Ac Ltd Company)

LTSB (Loan)

Its good to hear PPI sucesses!

Halifax cc Won settled in full after moneyclaim.

MBNA WON SETTLED IN FULL....

IKEA Data Protection Act sent 12/7/06 prelim sent 11/08/2006 gone to moneyclaim Ikea said they,d pay up but have yet to see the money

Halifax current Won!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mine is also being dealt with by the ombudsman department right now, did get a letter back to inform us that our complaint was being passed onto the casework area for further investigation for further consideration and that they will write to us asap to keep us informed but nothing since.

We had sent all the docs and evidence regarding a mis sold ppi with nemo loans, to the ombudsman at the beginning of Nov 2006 and we then received the letter about this from ombudsman dept 22 Nov to inform us of the above stated.

When we had taken out a loan with nemo-loans they would not take no for an answer, as we did mention we can go for a cheaper alternative elsewhere (standlalone) so we were made to believe we had no choice. Then we had taken them up on this, but had some advice afterwards, thats when we were told to cancel etc and ask for full refund, and also complain about this being mis sold. We had done all this, but the company did cancel but still added the insurance on the loan with the new repayments etc, but they did not resolve this when we did ask them too, so thats why its now with the ombudsman.

I do hope things work out for you !! So have you had any feedback from the ombudsman dept yet ? Cheers. x;)

Hi,

No news yet unfortunately.

The time scale:

Original complaint sent to FSO October 13th

Aknowledgement October 20th.

Initial assessment and passed to adjudicaor October 25th

Acknowledgement from adujuicator November10th

Letter from adjudicator Nover 17th asking for copy of company accounts to check turnover was less than £1,000,000!!!

Phoned adjudicator November 20th to check requirements and posted accounts same day.

Nothing heard since.

I guess its just a waiting game now. It will be interesting to hear the bank side of things (assuming the adjudicator passes their comments on to me - I don't really know how this all works)

Good luck - keep me informed!

;) HI THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME.

I HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU TOO.

I DID EMAIL THE OMBUDSMAN DEPARTMENT TODAY-SO JUST WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM THEM NOW, THIS WAS TO ASK THEM IF ANY FURTHER UPDATES HAVE BEEN SENT YET AS WE HAVE HAD LOTS OF MISSING POST.

SO BASICALLY SINCE OUR COMPLAINT FORM WENT IN WITH THE EVIDENCE ETC THE ONLY LETTER WE HAD BACK WAS DATED AS STATED 22 NOVEMBER 2006 TO INFORM US THIS HAS BEEN NOW PASSED ON FOR FUTHER CONSIDERATION AND THAT WE WILL BE KEPT INFORMED OF THE PROCESS.

I AM AWARE THIS CAN TAKE UP TO 6 MONTHS OR SO ACCORDING TO THEIR BOOKLET/LEAFLET, BUT ISN'T THAT ONLY IF IT GOES AS FAR AS THE ACTUAL OMBUDSMAN AND NOT THE ADJUDICATOR ?

FROM WHAT I CAN MAKE OUT THIS IS ALWAYS DEALT WITH BY THE ADJUDICATOR AT FIRST THEN PASSED ON FURTHER TO THE MAIN OMBUDSMAN IF THE CASE DOESN'T GET RESOLVED.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, AS THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME-CHEERS.

I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF THE PROGRESS AS SOON AS I HEAR, WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW HOW YOU GET ON TOO-THANKS.

GOOD LUCK !!:):D

Hi Di

I don't know too much about this and I may be wrong but what I think happens is that an initial complaint is assessed to see if it fits into the FSO criteria (i.e it is something they can deal with). If so it then gets passed to an adjudicator. They then get a copy of your file from the bank and go through the documentation of both sides. I think they then attempt to negotiate a settlement with both sides and it is this process which can take a long time. They then come up with a final decision which is binding on the Bank but not you - you can still take court action if you wish. As I understand things it only goes on to the Ombudsman if you object to the decision and can come up with some significant new evidence to change matters. There are some case histories on the FSO site but there have been a number of posts on this site which have not been happy with the decision they got from the FSO. I guess we just have to wait and see and this is the hard part.

I was once advised by a successful claimant to make sure that all relevent documentation was sent to the FSO - a bit like preparing a court bundle without the legal bits so this is what I did.

I think we have hi-jacked somebody elses thread here - it might be better to start you own so that people can keep track of your progress and help out.

Keep smiling - we'll get there one way or the other

HI KEITH,

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY, OOPS YES BETTER START A NEW THREAD, THINK I GOT CARRIED AWAY HERE LOL !!:o

I APOLOGISE TO ALL CONCERNED FOR HI-JACKING YOUR THREAD !!

YOU KEEP SMILING TOO, AND WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AND GET A NEW THREAD SORTED OUT SHORTLY. AGAIN GOOD LUCK !

:) DI. XX

• 2 weeks later...

Was viewing this thread and thought I'd offer my two pennies worth.

Having been fortunate enough to have had dealings in the past with the Ombudsmen (FOS), my personal belief is that many people mis-understand what they actually do. In my experience they act as judge and jury in instances where consumers and financial organisations can not come to a mutually acceptable conclusion to a complaint that the consumer has made against said financial institution. They are there to view the "evidence" from both sides (this is not a legal thing) and to make a decison based on the arguments presented by both parties.

At no point will they ever pro-actively 'investigate' a case or side with either party. They will simply come to a decision based on the paperwork in front of them and make a ruling accordingly. Even though these decisions are deemed to be final, I have heard of Ombudsmen decisions being overturned.

In my opinion the FOS are a last resort and, if mis-sold, PPI should be pursued through the courts as opposed to through an already, over-worked FOS.

This is a good summary of the FSO process. Anybody going down this route should not be under any illusion that it is some kind of magic passport to recovery of monies. I think it is only suitable where you have a pretty clear cut case and can support your complaint with good evidence. I don't think that taking a flyer without something concrete is going to work. Having said that I am aware of people who have been successful via this route and certainly in my case is was worth a try.

Whilst waiting for the FSO I have been looking at preparing a case for taking to court and have been wading through all kinds of contract law and bits and pieces about mis-representation. To be honest I'm not making much headway. The decision in the CC is based on the balance of probablitlites so I'll plough on to see what I can come up with. Unfortunately there is such a wide variety of experiences with mis-selling PPI and I can't seem to find any examples of successful court claims yet.

Hi Keith,

I am so far unaware of any cases that have gone all the way to court re the PPI. Maybe one of mine will be the first..lol. I am at stalemate with GE Money regarding mis selling and I have all the paperwork completed for sending to court. I involved the FOS , FSA and the FISA and to be honest they were not a lot of use in my case. The FISA who regulate GE Money did take the compliant further and a senior official from the FSA had spoken to a senior Director within GE Money who assured the FISA that they would get in touch and try and resolve my complaint. So far I have heard nothing further from GE Money, so its a case of polish up my statemnet of claim over the next couple of days and get it sent to court.

Ian

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have a slightly unusual PPI problem. I took out an Abbey loan in 2006 (it's Santander now of course). I had no idea I had PPI but perhaps that was me being dim. Anyway, I was made redundant in 2010 and called them to say I might have problems paying etc etc and no one at Santander told me that I had PPI and that it could be used in light of my redundancy. Since then the PPI has been cancelled because I went to Debtfixers and they put my on a debt repayment plan. I am wondering if I can as-it-were claim retrospectively with my PPI seeing as I had it but wasn't made aware that I could use it. Has anyone come across a similar conundrum? I've spoken to Santander and they said they'll get back in touch with me within 8 weeks but I'd quite like to have an objective opinion in the meantime.

Many thanks.

Flame

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received an offer of £8,000 for mis-sold PPI. This would be used to reduce the outstanding balance of my debt with Abbey/Santander. Can someone give advice re acceptance of the first offer? Does one usually just take the money and run or should I try to negotiate a higher rate or 'take it further'? I'm not being greedy but would like to know the protocol. If I had realised my PPI should cover payments when I was made redundant last year, I would never have gone into a debt repayment plan so I do feel this is an unusual case.

Many thanks, Flame.