• Tweets

• no DCA is a bailiff end of neither do they have any legal powers whatsoever. i would write to everyone simply giving your current abroad address , inc proof of residency. that will stop all threats going to anywhere else.  
    • Thanks for your prompt reply. I have some questions, please: When you say nothing will happen, my 80 year-old mother is worried about potential DCA doorsteppers if/when the debts are sold on - she is a very sweet, quite vulnerable lady and she is worried she may be bullied and harrassed.  If they do come knocking, what should she say?  I told her to say she knows nothing about any of it and they have no right to come knocking on her door and to warn them police will be informed if they come back.  Problem is, I don't think she would be strong enough and can easily be bullied into saying more than she intended once the door has been answered. Next questions: 1)  Should I inform all my lenders that I have moved abroad before defaulting (to avoid the quirky English law loophole thingy that could end up in a CCJ or worse once a DCA gets hold of it)?  2)  Can/should I provide an alternative UK correspondence address to my lenders instead of my mother's home address e.g. my virtual office address for my business - would the lenders accept this as I live abroad now and don't live at my mother's address?  Can I just write and tell them, without any further ado and not get into any further questions about it and cease further correspondence with them and default?  And would this stop DCAs coming to my mother's house as it would not be my current residential address on the lenders files when passed to the DCA?  Do they doorstep previous addresses? 3)  If I don't provide a UK correspondence address will I be at risk of not being aware of any Letters of Claim etc and legal proceedings notices etc not reaching me (there's no reliable postal system in the developing country I've moved to).  Worried this would mean I could end up being taken to court without being aware of it and could end up in a worse situation. 2) What exactly will go on my credit file once I've defaulted, assuming no legal action is taken against me?    4) Should I contact any of my lenders and inform them I have zero assets.  TSB & Sainsburys already have I&E info from me which shows my income  @ £1200/mth is below the combined total of my debt repayments @ £1300/mth and that my income only just covers essential costs of living @ £1200/mth.  Could it be useful to be on my file that I have no assets, so that the DCA clearly see this when the debt is passed to them? Thanks again for any advice.
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • paypal, but i would like to know if anyone knows if there is a certain time limit they have to refund you? thanks
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Got Date For A Court Hearing - Need Advice

speedy016
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

My hubby had a HP agreement on a car he bought about 4 years ago.

The finance was taken out with BLACK HORSE.

The debt has escalated to about 14.5K

A few years ago he was out of work for about 12 months and we couldn't afford to keep up to the repayments.

It resulted in a CCJ, we have been arguing ever since about how much we can afford to repay each month. We sent an expenditure form to the court with all our incomings and outgoings and offered to pay 50 each month.

This was declined and we were told we had to pay 150 each month.

When we filled out the expenditure form the court took into consideration my full time wage but didn't take into consideration any outgoings I have. A BIT UNFAIR ME THINKS!

Unfortunately due to an accident at work, I have only worked for 5 weeks since December and I do not get paid, I only receive SSP. We then got a letter saying that they were applying for an attachment of earnings for 150 each month.

I wrote to the court straight away and explained that our incomings have gone down due to my accident. I also stated that we do indeed want to pay for the debt but would they reconsider a payment of 50 each month until I am well enough to return to work.

This morning we received a letter from the court stating that as we have filed an objection regarding the attachment of earnings order my hubby has to attend a 10 min hearing on 3rd July and he has to take details of income and expenditure.

We have not actually objected to the order, we are just asking for lower repayments.

Can anyone advise what all this means and what we need to do to prepare ourselves for the court.

I'm really worried now, never been to court before!

Any help or advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Speedy

I only have limited knowledge, but others will reply soon. You need to get a form N245 (variation of an order ) to lower re payments , and return it to the court that issued the judgement. You may also need to get form EX160 (application for fee exemption ) if on a low income.

Well, they got you down as an 'objection' to the attachment of earnings whereas this isn't what you are intending at all. They have asked you to attend so you'd need to phone them before this to express specifically that it's not an objection you are making , merely a request for variation of an order . And to request those forms. It may be that they will say you no longer need to attend now that you have stated your intentions specifically ( which is not an objection to the attachent of earnings ) and requested the documents that are relevant to what you actually are asking of them .

You should phone them up thou first regarding this, as they will be able to tell you what it is you must do or if you still need to attend . Again, this is only what i'd do, Im not really an expert on all this either :(

Hi everyone

My hubby had a HP agreement on a car he bought about 4 years ago.

The finance was taken out with BLACK HORSE.

The debt has escalated to about 14.5K

A few years ago he was out of work for about 12 months and we couldn't afford to keep up to the repayments.

It resulted in a CCJ, we have been arguing ever since about how much we can afford to repay each month. We sent an expenditure form to the court with all our incomings and outgoings and offered to pay 50 each month.

This was declined and we were told we had to pay 150 each month.

When we filled out the expenditure form the court took into consideration my full time wage but didn't take into consideration any outgoings I have. A BIT UNFAIR ME THINKS!

Unfortunately due to an accident at work, I have only worked for 5 weeks since December and I do not get paid, I only receive SSP. We then got a letter saying that they were applying for an attachment of earnings for 150 each month.

I wrote to the court straight away and explained that our incomings have gone down due to my accident. I also stated that we do indeed want to pay for the debt but would they reconsider a payment of 50 each month until I am well enough to return to work.

This morning we received a letter from the court stating that as we have filed an objection regarding the attachment of earnings order my hubby has to attend a 10 min hearing on 3rd July and he has to take details of income and expenditure.

We have not actually objected to the order, we are just asking for lower repayments.

Can anyone advise what all this means and what we need to do to prepare ourselves for the court.

I'm really worried now, never been to court before!

Any help or advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Speedy

Hello Speedy,

Don't worry to much regarding the court thing. Just fill out you income and expenditure to show the courts how much you can afford, now that your circumstances have changed.

Now regards your CCJ. Was your debt amount made up of unlawful penality charges and did you ever see your credit agreement??????

I would be interested to know???

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi hellasnofury

Thanks for your reply, when he got the CCJ the amount included the original amount of the outstanding finance and lots of penalty charges which were added when we got behind with payments.

Speedy

Hi hellasnofury

Thanks for your reply, when he got the CCJ the amount included the original amount of the outstanding finance and lots of penalty charges which were added when we got behind with payments.

Speedy

Hiya Speedy,

What about the credit agreement did you see it?????? Some people have received a ccj on credit agreements that were not properly executed and would have been unenforcable in a court. but did not ask to see it before the court case.

Also if there was penalty charges ???? the outstanding balance owing was incorrect??????

I am not a legal expert, but have done a lot of homework on the consumer credit act. I would maybe ask some more of the learned Cager on the Credit Agreement thread for their opinion

here is a link to the thread, Its a big one about 7,500 posts probably take you the best part of a week to read, but it may have the answers you need. Maybe post your info on the thread and see what comes.

Consumer Credit Act Agreements

You certainly can reclaim back the penality charges.:D

There may or may not be something you can do regarding the ccj, we need to find out a bit more :confused:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi hellasnofury

Your input is really appreciated, no we never requested the agreement so we haven't seen it.

Also do you mean that because there were penalty charges it made the amount incorrect so we could have contested it in court, and can we still claim the charges back even though it has resulted in a CCJ. I only found this site a few weeks ago, I wish I'd known about it at the time.

Thanks again

Speedy

Hi hellasnofury

Your input is really appreciated, no we never requested the agreement so we haven't seen it.

Also do you mean that because there were penalty charges it made the amount incorrect so we could have contested it in court, and can we still claim the charges back even though it has resulted in a CCJ. I only found this site a few weeks ago, I wish I'd known about it at the time.

Thanks again

Speedy

Hello Speedy,

As I say I am not a legal expert, but maybe you can get some more infor from them.

Have you sent a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) if not do so now. costs £10 You will find the letter in the

Also send them a CCA request costs a £1. If the agreement does not contain all of the prescibed terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 it was not enforcable and they would not have been able to get the ccj. but you did not know to request. I feel this is the problem, most people do not know that the do have right and therefore do not question????

I will post the links so you know where to find the letters to send.

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

CCA request, you need letter N

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

We may not get anywgere with this, but It might be enjoyable to see them squirm and actually have to earn their money.

I'm a bit confused (which isn't difficult for me i suppose :rolleyes: ) but if this debt is in your husbands name - why are you paying it?

My husband has debts from when he lost his business, some are personal and some are business. He's been on long term sick since. I work full time and at no point have I agreed to any of my financial details being included on his budget sheets. All we ever put down is what he gets in sick benefits and what proportion he pays towards the household income - whatever is left over is what they get - simple as.

Regards Joan.

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Hi

I'm a bit confused about that as well but when my husband got the expenditure sheet from the court, he was told that he HAD to include my earnings as well as it was going to be worked out on the household income.

But what really p****d me off was that they would not take into consideration ANY outgoings that I personally had in my name.

When we tried to argue that point we were told that witholding information would result in action being taken etc, etc.

So I also included my outgoings but they disregarded these and only acknowledged my monthly pay!!!

Speedy

Hi Speedy

I think you really need some good advice on this one. Perhaps if you PM a moderator they can read through your thread and point you in the right direction.

As far as I'm concerned you are not responsible for your husbands debt. But where you go from here I'm not sure there are some court forms as previously mentioned to fill in.

Also you may be financially linked with your husband on the credit files so your credit rating may be affected by this.

Regards Joan :)

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Thanks Joan

I'll do what you suggested, I do know that my credit is being affected by this but I thought it was just part and parcel of being married.

Thanks for the advice.

Speedy:-)

The court has no power to order you to pay other people's debts. Ask the court to cite the exact law they believe makes your income relevant. You will need to do something about those charges and penalties. Possibly the best course of action would be to request a set aside on the grounds that BH's claim consists of substantial charges which you now know to be unlawful. I would PM Laiste - she's an expert in this field. Don't hold out much hope of BH not having the agreement but it's worth a go with a CCA request.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Just an update.

My hubby phoned the court and he has the N245 form to fill in. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO OFFERED THIS ADVICE. :-)

He has to attend the court hearing next Tuesday, they say it will be to his advantage if he does. :sad: I will keep you all posted on the developments.

Also, I am not putting ANY of my financial details on the form, like a few of you good people adviced, my hubbys debts are nothing to do with me and I am not held responsible.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR. IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED.

Speedy

Hi

Sorry to bother you all again, I just need a bit of advice.

My hubby is in court in the morning and I have filled out an income and expenditure form and also put together a bundle of letters etc, confirming his outgoings but I was wondering if he should mention that the CCJ was ordered against him for the wrong amount, i.e., because of unlawful penalty charges etc., but that he wasn't aware of this at the time. We have no proof yet of any charges applied and would it go against him tomorrow if he mentioned it.

I don't want them to think he is trying to get out of paying but I just want to get the amount reduced to the correct figure.

Would he be better not mentioning this tomorrow and sorting it out at a later date.

Sorry I've left it late to ask but my heads in bits tonight I'm really stressing.

Thanks

Speedy

Hi Speedy,

You will be fine tomorrow, try not to panic, you need to keep a clear head to put your arguments forward to the Judge. I would raise the issue of the penalty charges certainly. If the Judge asks why you haven't mentioned this earlier on in the case, explain that you had no knowledge of the law at all, but it has recently come to your attention that these charges are unlawful that have been added to your a/c.

Do you have a credit agreement for this debt? The judge may ask you if you intend to have the decision set aside, I would tell him that you would like to. When speaking to the Judge refer to him as Sir and if you want him to do anything preface your request Like this, "Respectfully, I would like to like to request/ask for..." You get the idea. Be polite, and pleasant and you will be fine.

Hope all goes well for you!

Regards,

Laiste.:)

• Haha 1

Thank you soooooooooo much Laiste :-)

You have no idea how much just hearing from you has made me feel better, I have read so many threads where you have helped people and I think you are amazing.

Thanks for the advice regarding how to address the judge, I wouldn't have had a clue, never been to court before.

I can't thank you enough.

Speedy

You are very welcome Speedy! I am very flattered by your

comments!:) You will be fine tomorrow, try to stay as calm as you can. I would get there about 15mins before your case is due to be heard, it will give you a bit of time to collect your thoughts and compose yourself.

Do you have a copy of an agreement that this judgment relates to?

Post back as soon as you can tomorrow! I will keep everything crossed that all goes well for you!:)

Regards,

Laiste.:)