• Tweets

• he may be using a different name but cars and vans/vans and cars it’s all the same Gerard Bird/Gerry Bird/G Bird aka Gurdip Singh Virdi He is still doing the same thing, operating from the same premises at 101a Longford, I’m guessing during Covid they got the great idea to rip people off remotely and charge people for the pleasure. they now deliver cars that are shocking quality and refuse to even accept the issues you find. Then Gaslight you into thinking your the problem and call you an idiot for buying a used car instead of a new one. Buyers beware this thread is vitally important     
    • Changes to China's state secrets law requires internet firms to monitor information shared by users.View the full article
    • The only way to verify whether there is any financial reward for the management is seeing the agreement. That would be required during disclosure IF court proceedings went ahead... Unless you could bring pressure to bear and get a copy?
    • god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • The airline says it is investigating reports that customers can view other passengers' personal information.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Advice needed on faulty LCD TV bought last month

sdmilne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last month I bought a Samsung LCD from Comet and almost immediately I noticed that it made a noticeable humming/buzzing noise. It makes this noise whenever the backlight is set to anything other than level 10 and the noise level varies depending on which setting from 1-9 you have it on, with 9 being particularly loud.

At first I was resigned to just put up with it but over time it has begun to annoy me more and more, particularly as when viewing TV at night with lower volume levels I can sometimes hear the buzzing over whatever I'm watching.

What I want to know is whether or not I am entitled to a replacement outright as I have since discovered that Samsungs are not supposed to make any noise whatsoever, regardless of the backlight settings. Clearly this TV was sold in a faulty condition.

Comet customer services told me by email that I could arrange for an engineer to look at it and what happened next would be at his discretion. Ideally I would like a replacement as to be honest, having it taken away for repair would be inconvenient if nothing else as I have already got rid of my old TV.

What advice can people here give me please?

What model is it, I know LCD LED TVs do make a humming sound when showing dark images, and what do the backlight levels mean??

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

What model is it, I know LCD LED TVs do make a humming sound when showing dark images, and what do the backlight levels mean??

Its a Samsung LCD B652. I've had it confirmed from multiple sources on AV forums that it should not be making this noise and if it were to make a noise, the only circumstance you should hear it is when you stick your ear right to the back of the set. I can hear it a good 6 feet away at quieter volume levels. Seems that its the norm for this model to be completely silent.

As for the backlight levels, it's just the intensity with which the screen is lit up ranging from 1-10. But as the factory setting is 8 for one viewing mode and 6 for another, you shouldn't be expected to have to watch on 10 if you want a quiet set.

Edited by sdmilne

If its within or just over a month then you would be entitled to a replacement/refund by rejecting the goods under the sales of goods act 1979. They are entitled to look at the set first, but don't be fobbed off by a repair.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Yeah it is just over a month. I think I bought it on about December 12th. So what you're saying is that after I've let them take a look at it I can refuse the offer of a repair and insist on a replacement and be perfectly within my rights?

Box it up and take it back to the shop. Or get some friends to help you take it back to the shop, otherwise what will happen is this. Comet will come and tell you there's nothing wrong, or more than likely they'll take it away keep it they can convince you to pay for it to be repaired, or hold it untill you have no choice but to take it back. There is NO 28 day rule, that's Comets idea of how they interpret the Sales Of Goods Act, it's not legal if you're not happy you've got to get it back to them as soon as possible, this is especially the case when it's faulty. By taking it physically into the shop and requesting a refund you will stand a better chance than using any other means, by all means call them first and advise them its your day off and you're bringing it back for them to sort out and please have your money back for collection:

reverseburdenofproof.jpg

Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS

HTH

Thanks for that advice. Thing is, I'm already down for having an engineer visit on Wednesday. I made it quite clear to them on the phone though that I know for a fact the thing was sold faulty and I feel a replacement is therefore the appropriate action - not a repair. So if/when the guy tries to claim it has nothing wrong with it I should just take it to the shop then?

I personally, if I had to go through dealing with Comet all over again. I would just phone the store I purchased the tv from up, inform them I've had enough the faulty tv I purchased from them is coming back to them in the next hour or so and you would appreciate them having the refund ready for your collection to speed things up, don't give anyone a chance to tell you they're not qualified for checking the tv, just put the phone down then take the tv back. Once it's back in the shop join the que, then and await your turn, there's no need to get nasty, shouting etc you could print off the afforementioned fact sheet if you need too, it explains your rights in intricate detail. If someone comes and advises youo they were going to tell you whatever on the phone but you put the phone down, tell them they're wrong and you've brought the faulty tv back as advised by head office you don't know who you spoke too, but this is the advice they gave. Essentially play them at their own game, as you'll find alot of anonymous people dealing with you at Comet and no matter how many notes you make, there's never anyone called xxxx in that office that you could have spoken too and if theree was, then they YOU obviously missinterpreted what they were saying to you. That's what I've had through dealing with Comet, so to avoid all of that or any future hastle I would just return the tv as advised. Once its back in their possession you can point out its returned due to being faulty, you want your money back or buy another brand, it's your choice. They're more likely to opt for the exchange because they don't have to refund you your money. However, it's worth pointing out that should the tv go faulty at any point onwards, prepare to fight for your rights as they'll try everything to escape theirs.

HTH

Guest Comet Response

Hi SDMilne

My name's Phil and I'm from Comet.

Your television should not be emitting a buzzing noise to the extent that you describe. While you may be able to hear a slight buzzing noise if you are next to the television, this should not be audible in normal viewing conditions.

We will require an engineer's inspection of the television to determine the fault. However, you were correctly advised that if a repair can be carried out, this would be the first course of action taken and we would aim to complete this within a reasonable amount of time. Depending on the parts required, we may be able to complete the repair in your home and not have to uplift the television to our service centre.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks

Phil

Hi SDMilne

My name's Phil and I'm from Comet.

Your television should not be emitting a buzzing noise to the extent that you describe. While you may be able to hear a slight buzzing noise if you are next to the television, this should not be audible in normal viewing conditions.

We will require an engineer's inspection of the television to determine the fault. However, you were correctly advised that if a repair can be carried out, this would be the first course of action taken and we would aim to complete this within a reasonable amount of time. Depending on the parts required, we may be able to complete the repair in your home and not have to uplift the television to our service centre.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks for that advice. How long do repairs usually take though? As I have got rid of my old set I'm not too keen to be left for long with no TV. I am still hopeful of a replacement as the TV was sold in a faulty condition as it it is not supposed to make any noise at all. I worry that the engineer will be of the opinion that the buzzing noise is not loud enough to be considered a problem. While the noise is not that loud, it can still be heard over what I am viewing at night because I have the volume at a lower than usual level.

Thanks for that advice. How long do repairs usually take though? As I have got rid of my old set I'm not too keen to be left for long with no TV. I am still hopeful of a replacement as the TV was sold in a faulty condition as it it is not supposed to make any noise at all. I worry that the engineer will be of the opinion that the buzzing noise is not loud enough to be considered a problem. While the noise is not that loud, it can still be heard over what I am viewing at night because I have the volume at a lower than usual level.

Hi, personally with a television that old I wouldn’t be accepting a repair, insist on a replacement. The TV will need probably need either the power supply replacing or the LCD Panel, the latter possibly costing more than the price of a replacement set. As you said it was more than likely sold to you in a faulty condition.

Comet messed me about for over a month when they attempted to repair my Samsung last October. In the end I had TV which was left with more faults then it had originally, completely dying on me in the end. Comet didn’t want to know despite the “three months repair guarantee” and my poorly Samsung ended up in a skip. Missed appointments, faulty replacement parts, damaged replacement parts etc you’ll have it all to look forward to if you go down the repair route.

SD, Johny's advice seems to be sound.

After all, if you were the manager of the store would you want to risk other customers seeing you complaining with a new TV under your arm?

Its sometimes nice to mention you'll maybe give a little advice to their customers in choosing that expensive TV. :D

SD, Johny's advice seems to be sound.

After all, if you were the manager of the store would you want to risk other customers seeing you complaining with a new TV under your arm?

Its sometimes nice to mention you'll maybe give a little advice to their customers in choosing that expensive TV. :D

Well the engineer is due tomorrow, so I take it I just stand firm on wanting a replacement? Pretty much everyone I've spoken to has said "Don't get fobbed off with a repair when it's this new."

Guest Comet Response

Repairs would be completed as quickly as possible, although it is not possible to give an exact timescale as this would depend on the parts required to complete the repair. However, if you email me your details via the link below I will ensure we keep a track of the repair once the engineer has inspected the fault to ensure it is resolved as quickly as possible. Please mark your e-mail 'FAO Phil.'

https://comet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/comet.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

You will need to register a few details to be able to send your e-mail in.

The engineer will certainly act upon it if the buzzing noise is outside the parameters of the manufacturers specifications.

Thanks

Phil

The engineer will certainly act upon it if the buzzing noise is outside the parameters of the manufacturers specifications.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks Phil, but this is where my concern is, the idea that the engineer decides if there's a problem and the issue of manufacturers specifications. A friend of mine recently bought the same TV and it makes no noise whatsoever. This alone would confirm that any noise is outside the norm but I have since had several others tell me that their set is completely silent also. Also, as the manual lists nothing about backlight buzz in the troubleshooting section, it seems safe to assume that it isn't meant to do this. Are you saying that when I tell the engineer I would like a replacement I will be told that this won't be entertained if they see it as in any way repairable? And indeed, if he thinks the buzzing isn't that loud, will he do nothing?

Sdmilne if I’m honest I’ll be very surprised if the Comet engineer offers you a straight replacement with the TV being over the magical 28 Days old. As others and myself have said don’t be fobbed off with a repair, it’s only a month old and it shouldn’t need one. The Comet man will more than likely push for a repair rather than a replacement, you’ll get the feeling they’re doing you a favor lol. It might be a good idea taking this up with the branch you bought it from, they might be slightly more flexible arranging an exchange if the engineer insists on a repair.

Sdmilne if I’m honest I’ll be very surprised if the Comet engineer offers you a straight replacement with the TV being over the magical 28 Days old. As others and myself have said don’t be fobbed off with a repair, it’s only a month old and it shouldn’t need one. The Comet man will more than likely push for a repair rather than a replacement, you’ll get the feeling they’re doing you a favor lol. It might be a good idea taking this up with the branch you bought it from, they might be slightly more flexible arranging an exchange if the engineer insists on a repair.

It should only need a repair if it's a good bit older and it wasn't faulty right from the start. I sense an uphill struggle tomorrow. Particularly as I'm very sure he'll initially try to tell me there's nothing even wrong with it. What do I do though if he's against a repair and so are my local branch of Comet? I'll make it very clear to both that I'm well aware of the ins and outs of the Sale of Goods Act that's for sure.

Well I would expect a repair after six months not six weeks. You do have the sale of goods act on your side, I think any faults that occur under six months are classed as inherent faults, in other words faulty from the day of purchase.

But you never know the engineer might be a decent bloke and see reason. But make it clear to him the age of the television, that the buzzing spoils your enjoyment of the TV and you’re not happy with it. A loud constant buzzing would certainly drive me nuts. Also was it bought on a credit card?

Well I would expect a repair after six months not six weeks. You do have the sale of goods act on your side, I think any faults that occur under six months are classed as inherent faults, in other words faulty from the day of purchase.

But you never know the engineer might be a decent bloke and see reason. But make it clear to him the age of the television, that the buzzing spoils your enjoyment of the TV and you’re not happy with it. A loud constant buzzing would certainly drive me nuts. Also was it bought on a credit card?

A debit card if that makes a difference. As for the spoiling of my enjoyment, that's certainly the case. The bulk of my viewing is done at night when I have to have the volume kind of low so I don't disturb anyone and the only way to avoid hearing this dim humming whenever there's a quiet point in the show I'm watching is to go for the maxumum backlight setting and that's just too bright.

Well, the engineer visited and after initially being very firm on the idea that there was nothing wrong with the TV, he decided that yes in fact the noise it made was a lot louder than it should be. Initially it seemed like a repair was the only option being made open to me but in the end he got authorisation for a replacement which was great.

Now for the next unexpected hurdle...

My local branch is sold out of the TV and say it won't be back in again. On checking their online stock locator I found that there's one in a branch about an hour's drive away. I'd assumed that they would get that sent to their shop so I could come and collect it, but no. I'm being told if I want to get the replacement I have to go and get it myself.

I'd have thought that as they sold me a faulty product that they would be duty bound to get the replacement to the shop it was bought from and a call to the Consumer Direct Helpline confirmed this. To my mind, this is just dreadful customer service.

I've also now found out that last year my mum was wanting a Dyson hoover from Comet, but it wasn't in stock. Oddly enough though they were happy to get one sent from a different branch if she didn't mind waiting a week or so. Seems they are quite willing to source a product if it means they are getting a sale.

Excellent news on the exchange! But still very surprising lol. Unless your heart set on the same model it might be worth trying a different brand as your next Samsung might have a similar problem. I have a Samsung LE40B530 in the bedroom and that has quite a loud buzz but most of the time I use cordless headphones so it’s not really an issue. In the living room we have a LG 42LH3000 and that’s near silent when the backlight is set on zero. Out of curiosity Sdmilne which model Samsung is it?

It was the 32B652. While it was good news on the exchange front, what happened next has resulted in me having no desire to ever set foot in a Comet shop ever again.

When I took the TV back, along with the form from the engineer, I was asked "Are you wanting a refund or a replacement then?" Obviously I went for a replacement, which they were happy to provide and they were also satisfied with just the remote and the power supply being returned.

With the new TV, they wouldn't let me have the box, which was no big deal, but had I had to travel some distance to get home, I'm not sure I'd have been satisfied with the thin layer of bubble wrap they applied to it.

Upon getting home, I immediately set it up and sadly the buzzing was exactly as loud as before. Possibly even slightly louder. I took it back a couple of hours later and the first shop assistant I spoke to pretty much gave off the impression that he didn't believe a word I was saying. He set the TV up and claimed he could hear nothing which I had to point out was because the environment in the shop was very noisy, so of course he wouldn't hear it. He tried to say he would have to keep the TV over the weekend and then let an engineer decide if it was faulty next week but I pressed for the refund.

He took the TV away to the back to listen to it along with a manager. After quite a long time they returned and the manager said he could hear a "very slight noise" but he still didn't seem to want to give me my money back. He said there was no way of knowing if it was a faulty TV or not without an engineer. I pointed out to him that all he had to do was compare it with the noise of the TV I'd brought back earlier (which was sitting about 5 feet behind him complete with the engineer's report) and he'd see that it was an identical fault. He said that that TV was a wright-off and he was not able to touch it. He continued to be really quite rude and patronising and eventually said I could have my money as a "good will gesture", but as I hadn't returned the manual for the first TV (a wright-off he couldn't even touch), he would have to charge me 10% of the TV's value for it - £50.

Given that they were happy to give the full refund for the TV earlier, minus the manual and the fact that he still had the manual for the second TV, I found this really quite ridiculous. I had to go home and get it before I could have my money, as there was no way he was getting £50 for a cheap booklet and the refund was certainly not accompanied by any smiling faces.

You really have to laugh when Comet claim they pride themselves on quality customer service. It would seem that nothing is further from the truth.

Now to find a new TV from a different shop...

That sounds more like the Comet we all love, now you know why I wouldn’t even buy a pack of batteries from their shop. It just shows you how ridiculous Comet really are. I couldn’t believe the box touch, very petty on their part. Transporting something as fragile as an lcd tv is tricky at the best of times but without a box its asking for trouble. Bet they needed it to keep the written off one safe lol.