• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WendyB - v - Cap One ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello everyone

New to this forum although I do have a thread on the Natwest forum.

Just decided to start a claim against Cap One, had the address for SAR but being cheeky decided to phone first to check whether I had to send off a cheque for £10 or not. Spoke to very helpful person who told me that she would send my statements free of charge. Asked her what criteria they were applying as to whether had to pay the tenner or not, she told me that as my account was now closed,(and defaulted) statements would be sent free of charge, but if I wanted manual intervention stuff, i.e.full SAR details, and the account was still being used, then would have to pay. Statements will do for me at this point so will wait and see if they turn up. She stated I should receive them within 10 days....lets just wait and see...

They defaulted the account for £48.84, have been told that even if I pay this balance the default will stay for 6 years. Do you think there's any chance of getting it removed if I can prove its because of charges?

Wendy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy

Take a look at the letter templates. I assume your claim will be for more than £48 in which case you do have a right to have the defaults removed. The template letters include paragraphs specifically dealing with this issue. Follow the regular procedures and demand removal as part of any pre court settlement.

Good Luck

Cheers Trucker, will do. Think the claim will be for about £300 but not really sure till I gget my statements. I'll chuck in something about defualt removal with Prelim and LBA. Can't believe that for 48 quid I get defaulted for 6 years!! No wonder I can't get a decent bank account! lol

I am just about to send a letter to all of the Credit Reference agencies. I believe there is no law stating that this has to stay on your credit file for 6 years. Once an account is settled it should be removed. I will let you all know if they reply to me.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

HI, I wrote to cap 1 on 8th May requesting payment of my charges of £1,036. I received on offer of a goodwill payment for £172 on 19 May. Sent letter back to them on 30 May declining offer but accepting it as part payment on the understanding that I would pursue recovery of the remainder with a County Court claim if necessary bla bla bla.

This morning received this letter stating they feel their fees are both legal and fair and they are dissapointed I was considering court action. That the OFT hadn't told them that they were obliged to refund any fees. They were not prepared to make a full refund and that was their final response to the matter. Is this the standard reply people are getting from them?

Please can somebody send me a link so I can start my own thread. Thanx.:)

Hi Shar

Just under the user cp top left here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/

This is where you start a thread.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

HI, I wrote to cap 1 on 8th May requesting payment of my charges of £1,036. I received on offer of a goodwill payment for £172 on 19 May. Sent letter back to them on 30 May declining offer but accepting it as part payment on the understanding that I would pursue recovery of the remainder with a County Court claim if necessary bla bla bla.

This morning received this letter stating they feel their fees are both legal and fair and they are dissapointed I was considering court action. That the OFT hadn't told them that they were obliged to refund any fees. They were not prepared to make a full refund and that was their final response to the matter. Is this the standard reply people are getting from them?

When I start court action I am going to use my local magistrates court, please could someone tell me what I need to take with me. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Have finally got my statements from Capital One, not really statements, just printouts. have worked out spreadsheet using CI and am about to send prelim. Should I mention the default removal in the Prelim? I can't really prove that the default was caused just by their charges.

And also do I need a copy of the original agreement? haven't got one, is it worth requesting one from the beginning or do I only need this if I go to Court?

thanks

Yes to all of the above, also any terms and conditions they had at the time.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Can I put the request for CCA and T and Cs in with my Prelim? or should I request separately. Presume the Prelim is the same as the normal bank one?

Sorry if I'm being thick, i'm sure i already know this but not feeling well, brain not working, and am really busy at work, getting more and more behind due to feeling crap and spendding time sorting out my own stuff instead of work!

Hi Wendy

Do the CCA letter separately. If you send it in with your prelim, they will not be able to supply you with a true agreement in time if it's sitting on someones desk in the charges / refunds department. The CCA request is a £1 fee by the way.

Make sure you take care on your claim, do this in small stages, as it can be off putting with the letter writing etc, when you are not well. Get it right first time. You will feel a lot happier when your refunds start rolling in. We are here to help, just keep us posted.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Thanks, I'll do that. Have added a bit into the Prelim saying that as my account is now closed please send payment by cheque. Although if my account is closed as they say oit is, why are they still chasing me for payment of a measly 48 quid??? They can take that off my winnings!

Will post prelim tonight, CCA letter wil have to wait till tomorrow I'm afraid, although hopefully it will never be needed........

Sorry to be a pest again but is there a template letter for CCA request, have looked all over the site and can't find one. Presume i send it to the Nottingham address?

Am going home soon to some paracetamol and wine (not necessarily in that order!!!!) Gonna tackle this tomorrow.......

Is it pure coincidence that now I've sent my Prelim Cap One have started chasing me by phone again?

First one left message on answerphone

Second Call - usual bumf about identity, date of birth etc

Cap One person: Can you confirm your date of birth please?

Me: You know what my date of birth is,, you've got it on your computer screen in front of you

C,One: yes but I need to confirm its you

Me: Would I say it was me and admit that i owe you £48 if it wasn't me?

C.One. Its for security reasons

Me: Whats your name and your date of birth?

C.One Why do you want that

Me: For security reasons

C.One Well I'm not telling you, you'll have to promise to call this office tomorrow

Me: Okay then, bye!

Third Call, Last Night. Hubby answered phone and passed them on to me

Cap One Is that Mrs xxxxxxxxx

Me: Yes

Cap One: Just need to do security blah blah

Me: do you mind if I record this call?

Cap One: Sorry, I don't have the facility to do that

Me: Well I do, so I'm just letting you know I'm recording it

Cap One: You can't do that

Me: Why not? You can record my calls to you, so I'm recording this call

Cap One: I can't let you do that

Me: You can't stop me unless you end this call now and don't bother calling me again

The phone then went dead - was the poor little flustered Cap One person worried I might record some incriminating evidence of harassment lol.

I really enjoyed myself and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who gets annoying calls.

• 2 weeks later...

Prelim received by Cap One on 30th July. LBA ready to go next week.

I have now received an offer of less than 50% from Cap One. My problem now is this;- do I still send LBA, or do I send a rejection, partial acceptance, or amalgamate this into LBA?

Have read all the rejection letters but not sure whether I should keep the rejection/partial acceptance seaparate from LBA.

And would it be okay to do a partial acceptance given that my claim includes CI

I just can't get my head round this - all suggestions gratefully received

Recieved a copy of what cap One say is my CCA, it looks like an application to me, albeit it has my signature on it.

have amalgamated a partial acceptance with an LBA and posted off today recorded delivery. Just have to wait now and see what they come up with.

It has to be a copy of an executed agreement - that meens it must be an agrement not an application form, it must have your signature, a signature of someone acting for Cap1 and a proper date. Nothing else will do.

• 1 month later...

Have'nt updated this for some time, so here goes.

12th August Sent LBA/partial aceptance .

Cap One said bog off

Filed at Court, claim deemed served 9th September.

14th September - letter from Cap One saying you have no claim, our charges are fair, BUT as gesture of goodwill blah blah, offering to pay up! Everything. Charges, court costs, CI and S.69. Result!!

They have paid off the balance on my card (28 quid) and are sending me a cheque for the rest. And will defend the claim on the basis they've paid in full..

Am writing to them today saying that I won't drop claim till I get the cheque.

Well done Wendy b

Great news.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Am writing to them today saying that I won't drop claim till I get the cheque.
Absolutely right - I would go further and say 'until the cheque has cleared'

But Well Done, CONGRATULATIONS!

Just a theory, but it seems to me that if accounts are closed, they're paying CI, if accounts still open, they're not. I managed to get CI and s.69 8%. Others seem to be offered 8% only, thus leaving the court case to run on CI alone, which is difficult if they've already paid up the charges in full before it gets to court.