Turned Down For Employment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for and was successful in getting a job with RBS (in the insurance side, not the bank) "subject to pre employment checks"

During the telephone interview and at the face to face interview I told them about a Vodafone default for 150 pounds due to be wiped December this year.

I was told that this shouldnt be a problem both times.

Anyhow, 2 weeks before the job started I hadnt heard anything so I emailed one of the interviewers, who replied "I do apologise, I thought our recruitment team had contacted you. Unfortunately you did not pass our pre employment screening due to adverse information from the credit searches. I have not been given any more information than this.I have been informed to advise you to obtain a copy of your credit file (Equifax) and that this will confirm the reason for the decision."

Having access to my credit file, I couldnt see anything untoward and queried this with RBS. The reply "We have re- issued the decline letter to xxdxxxx.

We can only advise that he looks again at his equifax report as ours clear shows the default payment."

I emailed them saying they knew about the Vodafone default with the reply

" I can confirm that this is not as a result of the Vodafone default. I have been advised to inform you to carry out a thorough check of your credit history ensuring you enter all of your previous addresses.I regret to inform you that we are unable to reconsider your application and that this is our final decision.

I replied that I have been living at my new address 17 years and that anything at my previous address is null and void.

The reply "We/I are unable to divulge any more than this. You will need to look into further."

Sorry for all that, Now, I dont have the foggiest Idea why I have been turned down. RBS will not tell me why I was turned down, my credit file has the Vodafone default on it and nothing worse than a default.

I cant contact Equifax by telephone also what do I ask??

Looks fine to me but not to RBS

Any Suggestions will be welcome

www.bellyup4blues.com Just Go There !!!

Woolwich Prelim Sent 5.12.2006 !!!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006 (yeah I know)

16.1.2007 £1000 offer rejected

LBA sent 31.1.2007

N1 presented to Court 15.2.2007

Won / Settled 2 days before court date

£5200 plus int charges returned.

All and Leics S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006

2nd S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 15.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

Won £1500 on receiving court date..

Hi delboy01

Have replied on your other thread about credit reports.

Reading between the lines it appears that there is something on your previous address. As it was 17 years ago I guess it is safe enough to apply for your report to see what this adverse information is. If you do not recall any debts or defaults it might not actually be a debt of yours and could be a mistake. You need to find out what it is and try to get it removed off your file.

I think maybe wino is on the right track. Banks have access to credit records beyond the 6 years that are officially divulged on the CRA reports.

Have you ever had an account with RBS, maybe a credit card or a loan at the previous address that you have forgotten about?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi delboy01

Have replied on your other thread about credit reports.

Reading between the lines it appears that there is something on your previous address. As it was 17 years ago I guess it is safe enough to apply for your report to see what this adverse information is. If you do not recall any debts or defaults it might not actually be a debt of yours and could be a mistake. You need to find out what it is and try to get it removed off your file.

Thnx wino, as I said the worst on my credit file is the Vodafone default, there is a "dead" mortgage on there about 5years old that hasnt been updated by the mortgage company GMAC thats shows mortgage payment problems a long time ago tho.

Nothing on my report re re any other defaults

LBA sent 31.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

I think maybe wino is on the right track. Banks have access to credit records beyond the 6 years that are officially divulged on the CRA reports.

Have you ever had an account with RBS, maybe a credit card or a loan at the previous address that you have forgotten about?

Surely anything older than 6 years is irrelevant if its not on my Equifax file.

RBS say it something about another default on my Equifax file in their replies.

LBA sent 31.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

Surely anything older than 6 years is irrelevant if its not on my Equifax file.

RBS say it something about another default on my Equifax file in their replies.

It may still be on your Equifax file but visible to subcribers only i.e. RBS.

If you think you may have a dubious mortgage report on there, get it removed. From experience, mortgage suppliers seem to be poor at updating the CRA records.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• 2 weeks later...

Principle 6 of the Data Protection Act

a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Act.

If you can prove that a certian entry that is incorrect on your file was a direct result in you not gaining employment then you may be able to issue a claim against the company/CRA in question.

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

I know from very (very) personal experience that adverse entries on your credit file will not disbar you from working in financial services, even in an 'approved person' capacity (ie employed or self employed Financial / mortgage Adviser). Even very recent ones properly explained are acceptable.

It all comes down to the company's and FSA's perception of you.

If the one adverse item on your report is a £150 default, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about (I know)! Especially as you were open and up front about it.

Also remember that unsecured debt records go back 6 years but secured loans (on property) go back 12 years. And if you had a loan with a bank I bet they keep records for their own use that go back longer than that (I would).

Have you also conducted statutory checks with all the CRAs? Doing it with just one of them is not enough.

I would consider conducting an SAR against RBS (their data controller that is), then they would have to divulge anything they had on you.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but have you checked the CIFAS section at the bottom of your credit report? Also, without being too PC, is there any other (racial or religious) reason that you can think of that would encourage them to hide behind an erroneous credit report to stop them hiring you? Just askin'. Remember they are trying to sell off over 300 branches.

Last point I would make is that you are obviously employable, go to another bank (or any other company) and see what they say. Don't just hang your coat on the RBS peg.

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000