Enforcing council tax arrears on Ltd companies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a firm of solicitors and we regularly receive bailiff letters for council tax arrears for some of our clients who are Limited companies and are registered at our office. The bailliffs simply pass on the letters as they cannot recover from us (the solicitors) or take our office equipment. So is this how you avoid paying? I have heard of new laws to bankrupt companies, but at what point (i.e how much debt) before the bailliffs take such action?

Hello Silver. Had a little giggle at this one. :D

I assume that your firm are passing on the letters to your clients?

Not sure how it is coming about as the CT arrears will refer to the building that the company is operating from. So why are the bailiffs coming to you and not the address given in the recovery document? (Hypothetical question).

Bailiffs cannot apply for bankruptcy. It would be the council once the bailiffs have reported back to the court.

Sorry - I must ask - is this a wind-up? ;)

Hello Silver. Had a little giggle at this one. :D

I assume that your firm are passing on the letters to your clients?

Not sure how it is coming about as the CT arrears will refer to the building that the company is operating from. So why are the bailiffs coming to you and not the address given in the recovery document? (Hypothetical question).

Bailiffs cannot apply for bankruptcy. It would be the council once the bailiffs have reported back to the court.

Sorry - I must ask - is this a wind-up? ;)

No its not a wind-up!

Out clients are property companies who rent out properties and their registered address is our offices. The property comapany does not operate an office and its only assets are the buildings which it rents out. When they are vacant, the council tax/business rates reverts to the landlord and a court order is issued and served at the registered address. Bailliffs have been coming in with letters for the last 5 years!!!!

Sorry Silver - it was a bit tongue in cheek. ;)

But now that we are seeing the full story, it might make life a bit easier.

I think in this case that as the company has assets (the buildings) there would be no question of bankruptcy but possibly an order for possession (can't remember what the correct legal term is - another senior moment). Certainly, I don't think there is any way that the liability for CT can be avoided in this way.

And anyway, the debt has to be greater than £750 I think before bankruptcy is allowed.

Edited by Trilby274
added a bit

• 2 weeks later...
No its not a wind-up!

Out clients are property companies who rent out properties and their registered address is our offices. The property comapany does not operate an office and its only assets are the buildings which it rents out. When they are vacant, the council tax/business rates reverts to the landlord and a court order is issued and served at the registered address. Bailliffs have been coming in with letters for the last 5 years!!!!

Silver, you really should go see a solicitor!!! Seriously, you have come on this site asking for legal advice???

I take it what ever you are charging your clients for the advice you get from this site you will pass on the full amount as a donation to help keep the site going?

Sorry of I come across angry at the legal “profession” but like many people who come on her for advice I have been stuffed by the blood sucking solicitors over the past couple of years and your request is clear evidence that a lot of them don’t have a clue what they are doing.

Should have gone to class when you were doing your law degree silver.