Advice needed please! **SORTED**

Broke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last month my laptop fell down our back stone steps:(

Basically i tripped on the PVC door lip and grabbed the railings to save myself from falling down 13 yorkshire stone steps thus letting go of the laptop.

I took it to pcworld to have it fixed under my PC performance plan.

2 weeks later i phoned them again as i hadn't heard anything and was told that the machine was almost ready it was just waiting for a new part.

1 week later i had a call from the store to say it wasn't going to be repaired as they didn't believe the damage was accidental!

I have collected the laptop and have the right to appeal but does anyone know what i should put?

I have taken photos of the back steps and my friend said she would give a witness statement as she was the one who "caught" me as i fell.

I really need the laptop sorting out as the screen is smashed and all the case is damaged on the right hand side.

Many thanks,

Sue

Claiming £1537 from the HALIFAX

Interest £190.96

TOTAL: £1727.96

Claim submitted to the Halifax County Court.

Deemed served 04/08/2006.

(Yes i am a HALIFAX resident!:) )

Maybe you should ask them how the damage did occur and ask them in what quantity the person who made the decision is qualified to do so.

If they believe to have been caused by some other method than your description, I would assume they have evidence of some description. ie, evidence of liquid ingest, foreign bodies or some impact mark that is inconsistent with your description of events.

It might be something as simple as their description says dropped down stairs. Most people would assume this to be internal stairs made of wood and they have found traces of granite/limestone/whatever else you might find in a garden but not in a house.

What they "believe" or don't "believe" is irrelevant, I'm afraid. It's what they can prove or not.

There seems to be a growing trend to push consumers into buying a all-bells-and-whistle, covers everything policies, only to then push the boundaries of what defines accidental. :-x

I would get back to them stating that you want them to tell you precisely what they mean by "they don't believe that damage was accidental", as it seems to me they are accusing you of wilfully damaging the laptop, which in turns means accusing you of attempting to defraud the company! I would also tell them that unless they have proof that it was NOT accidental, they have no grounds to refuse to fulfill their part of the contract for which you paid, and you expect them to carry out the repairs as per their contractual obligation. As Spikeachu says, also make sure you get the qualifications of the person who has made that decision.

Keep hounding "Coverplan" (pc performance) you are entitled to at least a copy of the engineers report........ but dont let it rest at all.. Stores wont do anything in regards to this hound Pc performance & Pc world customer services in Sheffield, -----> Get it escalated to Keith Jones complaint team that he has set up which is most powerful in dsgi -- 99% of time they override any decision made and go for good customer service every time. Hope this helps!!

Thankyou all so very much!

Your information is much appreciated indeed.

Does anyone know what i should put in my appeal letter or have a rough outline please?

I have taken 3 photos that show the exterior steps which the laptop fell down

The engineers report just says that the laptop had a massive impact on the right hand side but doesnt say exactly why they believe it was caused by malicious damage and not accidental

Many thanks,

Sue

Interest £190.96

You don't have to "appeal", you have to stand up and put THEM on the defensive. Bloody cheek of them giving you the right to appeal. :-x

Ok, here goes:

Dear Sir/Madam,

(Outline what has happened, dates, names, facts)

Under coverplan, I am covered for (look at your plan for exact terms and copy them here), and I am disgusted that (name) has seen fit to state that the damage was not accidental, thereby effectively calling me a liar and accusing me of attempting to defraud your company. I do not take kindly to such accusations, and I do not appreciate being denied the cover for which I have been paying (x amount).

I expect your company to either comply with the terms of the cover I have been paying for, or be prepared to supply proof that the damage was not accidental, complete with the name and qualifications of the person who is alleging that the damage is malicious.

Please respond within 7 days.

Yours, etc...

(Copy to Head Office/Customer Services)

Tweak to your purpose.

Many thanks,

I have sent it off today & will keep you posted!

Sue :)

Interest £190.96

• 2 weeks later...

Within exactly 7 days of posting the letter i recieved £490 in vouchers to go and buy a new laptop!

I am really pleased and would like to thank everyone for their help :)

Sue

Interest £190.96

• 2 weeks later...

great one. dealt within 7 days and brand new laptop.

could anyone ever see zit face steve instore doing the same for customer service. i think not.

unless its an ink cartridge or something you 100% know can be dealt with them isntore dont bother.

i call the relevant department. namely the techguys for repairs. and if that fails then the customer service team.

and it works, broke got vouchers for a new laptop. with current dsgi prices i see online i could easily buy a intel core 2 duo with 120gb HD and 2GB ram for £450 so i presume your new purchase is better then original??

Yep the new laptop is a Core Duo 2 FS Amilo with a 19in screen!

Blinking wicked laptop but i didn't take out the store insurance this time!

Interest £190.96

Within exactly 7 days of posting the letter i recieved £490 in vouchers to go and buy a new laptop!

I am really pleased and would like to thank everyone for their help :)

Sue

Woo-hoo! GREAT news! :-D

great one. dealt within 7 days and brand new laptop.

could anyone ever see zit face steve instore doing the same for customer service. i think not.

unless its an ink cartridge or something you 100% know can be dealt with them isntore dont bother.

i call the relevant department. namely the techguys for repairs. and if that fails then the customer service team.

and it works, broke got vouchers for a new laptop. with current dsgi prices i see online i could easily buy a intel core 2 duo with 120gb HD and 2GB ram for £450 so i presume your new purchase is better then original??

No, Sir.

It worked because Broke sent a stinking letter, showing them that he/she (sorry, Broke, I don't know which!) knew their rights and weren't going to get fobbed off, and made them take notice. Broke got the service he/she had PAID FOR and it has nothing to do with your "Head Office/tech guys works better than in-store" theory. :mad:

i love your tactics.

damage is damage. accidents do happen but instead of you asking to show the store/engineers photo's of the steps or offering them to come around to the house to view the location of accident. you use attitude to call them liars and use bully tactics to say that they are accusing the buyer of defrauding the company.

serious vendetta you have.

i guess your not the polite customer are you. guess you never have a peaceful conversation.

your advice is simple to argue and threaten and accuse your way to results.

may i suggest you just be honest with youself and put this as your mission statement.

"argue and threaten, to get your way"

personally you may not realise that if you argue and threaten staff accusing them of things. they can ban you from the store. i would try a softer approach otherwise if everyone tried your harsh approach this website will be "how-to-be-banned-from-every-shop-in-town.com"

advice is open. more then one avenue. more then one option. more then one result.

i love your tactics.

damage is damage. accidents do happen but instead of you asking to show the store/engineers photo's of the steps or offering them to come around to the house to view the location of accident. you use attitude to call them liars and use bully tactics to say that they are accusing the buyer of defrauding the company.

serious vendetta you have.

i guess your not the polite customer are you. guess you never have a peaceful conversation.

your advice is simple to argue and threaten and accuse your way to results.

may i suggest you just be honest with youself and put this as your mission statement.

"argue and threaten, to get your way"

personally you may not realise that if you argue and threaten staff accusing them of things. they can ban you from the store. i would try a softer approach otherwise if everyone tried your harsh approach this website will be "how-to-be-banned-from-every-shop-in-town.com"

advice is open. more then one avenue. more then one option. more then one result.

Ermm... excuse me!

I am a very nice and polite consumer who always treats people with the respect they deserve! How dare you sugest otherwise!:mad:

What you are really saying then is that because PC World decided TO CALL ME A LIAR & refuse me the cover that i had paid £9.99 a month for 18 months then thats ok i should just say " ok mate,thanks for taking my money and ripping me off"

You seem to forget that PCW were the ones who treated me like crap not the other way around.They simply pulled their socks up when they realised i was serious about getting what was mine rightfully anyway!

For your information i did send photographic evidence and invite them to come around so don't jump to conclusions.

Interest £190.96

Fred is under the impression that the only way to assert your rights is by threatening and bullying. That shows some people skills, huh. :razz:

Broke, I think that his post was meant as an attack on me, not you. (although you are obviously guilty by extension for using my advice and getting appropriate remedy from it! :lol:)

I have advised on my own thread where he has also been trying to get a rise that the best thing to do is to ignore him. I can only advise you to do the same here. ;-) If he carries on and goes over the top with the insults, however, feel free to hit the report.gif button and we'll intervene. ;-)