• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I have a offer letter from DG solicitors, but have recieved nothing.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

If anyone could help me i'd be most greatful. I'm really starting to loose it with the wild goose chase i've been sent on.

I first started my claim in July 2006, the normal way with letters back and froth from the bank. However this didn't get me any results so I filed a claim with the County court in January this year. The date of the hearing set for 29th June 2007.

I hqd one letter from DG Solicitors asking for a breakdown of all charges, which I sent to them. I heard nothing until the 19th June. The letter they sent basically was an offer for the full amount, which I had to sign and send back within 7 days; also signing to agree to confidentiality. I work in France, and got back to the UK, and the letter, on the 27th June, ready for the court hearing. Being out of the 7 day period and not being keen on signing a confidentiality agreement I decided to go ahead with the court hearing. The next morning I recieve a letter from DG Solicitors saying they have contacted the HSBC who will be sending full payment within 10 days, and they have sent a letter to the court excusing themselves from the hearing as the case was settled.

I called the court who advised me to postpone the hearing date; rather than cancel it, until I recieved the cheque and it cleared. This is what I have done and have recieved nothing.

I have written to the HSBC and made numerous phone calls, but they say they have no record of the claim and tell me to call DG Solicitors.

DG Solicitors pass me from one phone line to another and promise to pass on messages and to call me back, but never do. They also say they cant deal with my query as I don't have a reference account number for them that they say is on the offer letter, but isn't.

I have contacted the court to arrange a new court date as this is the only thing I can think of doing to get some response.

Please help me, where can i go from here?

Jen

Hello again,

thanks for your speedy response.

Yes I still have the letter that says they'll get the HSBC to send payment in 10 days, I also have a copy of the letter that they sent to the court excusing themselves;

What should I do with these (apart from keeping them very very safe!!)

Jen

Hi Jen,

to be honest am not 100% sure here as have not come across this before. some of the others might have abetter idea than me. but I would scan them or make a few photo copies ....lol.............. for back up..........

my first port of call would be to ask the court if there is anything that you can do. like a warrant for example......it might be worth going into your branch armed with a photo copy and show them it. i suppose you coudl try the it was passed back to you by you legal dept................ so pay up or else................

the other obvious chocie is the banking ombudsman..........

Freaky,Lattie Pete, PD? anyone else got a clue???

rockin all over the world

How do I deal with a banking ombudsman?

I will call the court again tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do for me, unfortunately I can't get to my HSBC branch until the beginning of October as I work offshore. (definately making the whole process more difficult!)

So you've not come across this before, oh cripes!! I'll definatlt be making many copies of everything I have!

How do I deal with a banking ombudsman?

I will call the court again tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do for me, unfortunately I can't get to my HSBC branch until the beginning of October as I work offshore. (definately making the whole process more difficult!)

So you've not come across this before, oh cripes!! I'll definatlt be making many copies of everything I have!

I would write to the court asking for your claim to be re-instated, explaining why, enclosing copies of the offer letter and notice of discontinuance letter from DG, and that you haven't yet received settlement. At the same time copy them to DG.

If DG try to get a stay, they will have to explain to the judge why they promised settlement and have reneged on that promise.