Hmm. Now, THAT's cheeky.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, folks - gonna need some advice on this one.

Sent off my preliminary letter and LBA demanding £595, stipulating that it be paid by cheque (as Halifax are chasing me for a credit card and personal loan debt, which would be absorbed if left in my account). A couple of days later, on the 25th of July, Halifax sent back a letter saying that they were arranging (as a gesture of goodwill, natch) to credit my account with £383 within 14 days, and if this was unsatisfactory, to return their payment and contact them within two weeks.

On the 26th of July, Halifax deposited £383 into my account.

On the 27th of July, Halifax took that £383 to pay off a credit card that had defaulted.

On the 30th-odd of July, these letters arrived.

Now, the question on my mind is what can I do about this? Am I within my rights to demand that the payment be reversed, and sent out in cheque form instead?

Please help - I'm hoping to move into a new flat in September, and need all the cash I can get!

I'm sorry this has happened but it is not unusual.

The banks position is that you owe them money, behind with payments on a loan, etc, and that the recharges can therefore be set against that as the payments are not up to date. It would need to be repaid by you at some point.

However, have you looked at it this way. Have you got your full banking history? ie statements for each and every account you have with HBOS. If you have defaulted on a loan or credit card then charges will have been applied to those accounts. Check all account statements thoroughly and total the charges up. You can claim credit card charges, loan charges, mortgage charges etc. This can really mount up.

This might be a route to consider.:)