• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BigCol45 v RBoS hes done it and ***WON ***

BigCol
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Too right,

Shopaholic has just gone for a Default! Surprising as Cobblers seemed to have been on top of things lately. Shame eh!;)

BC:lol:

my AQ date is tomorrow!! i need a quick offer as i am away in a weeks time for three weeks and i dont want to miss any letters etc.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LL,

don't hold your breath! My AQ date was 4 Sep and the only thing I've heard is from Cobblers and that was a copy of their AQ. Going to call the Court in a wee while, see what's happening...

BC:cool:

Big Col:p

RBS LBA 20/06/06. WON - 21/10/06

MBNA(1)-Start-20/06/06, Claim-£250, 15/8 - Winner!!

MBNA Virgin(2)-Start-20/06/06, Claim £100, 15/8 - Winner!!

BoS MCard Data Protection Act Sent 20/06/06 - WON 16/10/06

Green On!

If the post/advice helps, pse click on the scales!! :cool:

LL,

don't hold your breath! My AQ date was 4 Sep and the only thing I've heard is from Cobblers and that was a copy of their AQ. Going to call the Court in a wee while, see what's happening...

thanks Col knowing my luck they will try to contact me when i am away!!! txssers.

LL,

what about having a "without prejudice" chat with Ms Burgoyne pointing out the potential delay with you being out of the picture for a while?

Green On!

Erm,

don't know, I guess you could drop it into conversation along the lines of:

"Just thought I'd give you a call to discuss so and so with out prejudicing my case......"

I'd give the Court a quick bell to find out when they might be allocating dates to get an idea of when that will be and when the hearing date will be, they may have an idea along the lines of "well, we are currently allocating dates for Nov..."

Green On!

Ah, no snags!!!

I have just spoken to a very helpful lady at Newark County Court. They have a Judge for 3 days a month!! And luckily he has just looked at my case. He has agreed that it is Small Claims Track and a hearing date will be planned in Nov (the ladies are doing that now)! I also asked about the N244 thing and it does seem that simple!

So, more time to wait, hopefully not too long now!!

Green On!

Hi

Just wanted to say you have given me hope to carry on!!! I have had the court case allocated to Halifax (near me) and Cobbetts are trying to get me to answer a lot of question (apparently same as you!!). I have just drafted a letter, some copied from yours (thanks!!) telling them I will supply such info if and when the court requests it!!! I am posting it tommorrow and see what happens. Thanks for giving me the confidence to carry on, after all £2118 + int+costs is not a small amount!!!

Becky

Becky,

thats your choice, I would send it anyway, but whatever you do, don't forget to send copies of Cobblers' letters and your reply to the Court for filing with your case.

Bon Oeuf!!

Green On!

Right,

that's it! RBS have charged me another £388 since I started the MCOL (thanks an extra £20 of interest @ 8% too!). I'm awaiting Ms Burgoyne giving me a call back so that we can discuss these extra charges and see if we can reach an 'amicable' settlement!;)

BC:p

Green On!

hi col just updating myself on your thread such interesting reading its turning into an epic lol

anyway keep up the good work

bos~ Data Protection Act sent

~ statements received

~ owed £1766.82

~ prelim letter sent 30/08/2006:D

~lba handed in 14/09/2006

bos Data Protection Act sent

~ statements received

~ owed £1217.86

~ prelim letter sent 30/08/2006:D

~lba handed in 14/09/2006

court date issued of the 17th november

27th oct full offer totalling everything including 8% interest court costs and £10 dpa sar..... one down next to go.

rbs~ Data Protection Act sent off 21/09/2006:mad:

TA!

Green On!

Hi All,

I like you all am after refund of charges with RBS, ive been reading your threads and have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

I have received what appears to be a standerd letter of defence from Cobbetts, Part 18 ect, I have also received my AQ questionare, i am proposing to reply to Cobbets with the letter in Agusta 109s thread but at the foot of the template it suggests one figure to be entered, Q. what does this figure represent?

And a lot of people are talking about a spread sheet showing details of particular charges and dates ect, I originally sent RBS a list of Dates and the particular charge taken on that date and then i gave a cumulative figure for interest,(i did not detail interest against each date and charge)

Details of each individual charge...................

25/01/2006 35.00

11/04/2006 35.00

ect

ect

i.e: Total of charges 1726.00

+ interest 254.30

total of claim 1980.30,

can i send details in this format to Cobbetts?

Hi Peanut,

I think you need your own thread. Maybe copy and paste this post when you start it up. It's a good idea because then the mods and everyone else can be up to date with your progress and help you alot more.

Wxx

Peanut,

not familiar with Augusta's thread, my reply is further back on this thread which seems to have been quite popular.

BC

Green On!

Ah ha!

On the doormat when I got home last night was a letter from Cobblers:

"Dear Sir,

Our Client: National Westminster Bank Plc (REALLY!!!)

We refer to the above matter.

Our client considers that your challenge to its charges would fail in Court (What, just like everyone else's??!!) Our client believes that its charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. It considers that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement aith it andits published tariff, which it is satisfied complies with all applicable laws and regulations. Our client is also committed to ensuring the transparency of the information that it gives to its customers about the operation of its products. As such, our client does not believe that your claim has any prospect of succeeding.

However, as a gesture of goodwill and strictly on the basis that our client rejects any liability to you, it is willing to offer you a goodwill payment of £1,700.

Acceptance by you of this goodwill payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client and strictly on the basis that:

1 you agree not to disclose to any third party the fact of or any details relating to, this payment:

2 you write to the Court withdrawing your claim."

So, a few interesting point there then.

1. There client now appears to be Nat West, would that suggest to anybody else that this is a standard template?

2. Why offer £1700 if they think that I would lose in Court? This has already been offered to me way back in June, why have we wasted so much time, effort and extra expenditure if the claim is going to fail in Court, just like so many other people's have done lately.

Ah well, I've also posted to the COurt an N244 Application Order Form to increase my claim following extra charges since 12 July. Should I accept the offer??

No, I don't think so either!! Up yours Cobblers!!:smile:

Green On!

Ah ha!

On the doormat when I got home last night was a letter from Cobblers:

"Dear Sir,

Our Client: National Westminster Bank Plc (REALLY!!!)

We refer to the above matter.

Our client considers that your challenge to its charges would fail in Court (What, just like everyone else's??!!) Our client believes that its charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. It considers that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement aith it andits published tariff, which it is satisfied complies with all applicable laws and regulations. Our client is also committed to ensuring the transparency of the information that it gives to its customers about the operation of its products. As such, our client does not believe that your claim has any prospect of succeeding.

However, as a gesture of goodwill and strictly on the basis that our client rejects any liability to you, it is willing to offer you a goodwill payment of £1,700.

Acceptance by you of this goodwill payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client and strictly on the basis that:

1 you agree not to disclose to any third party the fact of or any details relating to, this payment:

2 you write to the Court withdrawing your claim."

So, a few interesting point there then.

1. There client now appears to be Nat West, would that suggest to anybody else that this is a standard template?

2. Why offer £1700 if they think that I would lose in Court? This has already been offered to me way back in June, why have we wasted so much time, effort and extra expenditure if the claim is going to fail in Court, just like so many other people's have done lately.

Ah well, I've also posted to the COurt an N244 Application Order Form to increase my claim following extra charges since 12 July. Should I accept the offer??

No, I don't think so either!! Up yours Cobblers!!:smile:

nearly there col:D :D i hope mine is on the floor when i get home on monday!!!!:D

DH,

hope you're right, salthough I guess your money would be cashed whicever way. Don't mean to be the harbinger of doom or anything, I'm following you so I hope to God you're right......are you going to call the Court tomorrow to ask??

Green On!

Hi Col and All,

Had the same letter from Cobbetts offering me £1,800. I have called to let them know that I will gladly accept that amount as part settlement but will still be pursuing the rest. I suppose it's just a question of waiting to see what happens now. This seems to be dragging! Good luck all!

RBOS: Fob off letter recieved 28th June.

LBA for £2,690 & LBA for £3,240 sent 1st July. Replt to LBA'S recieved 14/7/06......fob off again!!! watch this space

:lol: MCOL submitted 19/07/06 :cool:

Predictable, who the RBS & Cobblers, never.

I have just posted the following to Ms B at Cobblers:

Dear Ms Burgoyne,

Further to your letter of 13th September 2006 I am writing to inform you of the following:

1. You name your client as National Westminster Bank Plc, which I believe to be a mistake as my claim is against one of your other clients, namely the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc.

2. That I will not be accepting your client’s offer of £1,700 in full and final settlement of the above claim but as an interim payment and I will be pursuing the rest through the Court. If your client believes that their charges are ‘fair, transparent and reasonable’ as stated in your letter, then it will not be a problem for them to disclose to the Court how the charges are calculated.

I am also unwilling to agree to the specific terms and conditions you have added to this offer, namely:

1. Not to disclose to any third party the fact of, or any details relating to, this payment;

2. Withdraw my claim;

3. That this payment of £1,700 is a full and final settlement of the claim.

Yours sincerely,

That's in the post now, and a copy to the Court too, although I haven't told Cobblers that, don't want to spoon feed them. We'll see if they do disclose it to the Court eh? Might even emither it to Ms B later.......

I'm still waiting for the letter from the Court advising my Court hearing date too, the nice lady at Newark advised me it would be Nov, so Cobblers have some time to play with, but not as much as with some people. Ho hum, the waiting continues. Soon be Xmas!!

Green On!

Predictable, who the RBS & Cobblers, never.

I have just posted the following to Ms B at Cobblers:

Dear Ms Burgoyne,

Further to your letter of 13th September 2006 I am writing to inform you of the following:

1. You name your client as National Westminster Bank Plc, which I believe to be a mistake as my claim is against one of your other clients, namely the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc.

2. That I will not be accepting your client’s offer of £1,700 in full and final settlement of the above claim but as an interim payment and I will be pursuing the rest through the Court. If your client believes that their charges are ‘fair, transparent and reasonable’ as stated in your letter, then it will not be a problem for them to disclose to the Court how the charges are calculated.

I am also unwilling to agree to the specific terms and conditions you have added to this offer, namely:

1. Not to disclose to any third party the fact of, or any details relating to, this payment;

2. Withdraw my claim;

3. That this payment of £1,700 is a full and final settlement of the claim.

Yours sincerely,

That's in the post now, and a copy to the Court too, although I haven't told Cobblers that, don't want to spoon feed them. We'll see if they do disclose it to the Court eh? Might even emither it to Ms B later.......

I'm still waiting for the letter from the Court advising my Court hearing date too, the nice lady at Newark advised me it would be Nov, so Cobblers have some time to play with, but not as much as with some people. Ho hum, the waiting continues. Soon be Xmas!!

nice 1 col i am home in the morning hopefully my letter is there also.