• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jubaxt,

I take your point £250 to pay in court fees to wait goodness knows how long is a tough decision to make, and only you can make that choice.

The way I see it, you can risk it and hope it is accepted and the judge allows it. Or hang on and wait for the outcome.

On another note to avoid the 6 year rule I suggest anyone who is thinking of reclaiming there charges, should send a letter to the bank TODAY demanding a full refund of all charges since the 1st August 2001, even if you do not no your figures, With a bit of luck when all this is over you should be able to go back to the date of the letter and not just 6 years.

But do not forget to send it recorded delivery or they will claim they have not received it, and keep a copy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some time ago I remember the banks being told by the Ombudsman to come into line with the EU regard the clearing system, the 3-5 working days when the banks make interest on your money, by comparison it's usually same day in most EU countries. Initially they were given 5 years, then after saying that their computer systems couldn't deal with such a system, the EU having far superior computers presumably, they were given 3 years further to 'modernise the systems' ... Well that was quite a good while ago and well guess what , it still takes 3-5 days to transfer monies between banks! The banks in between times have made huge sums of monies in interest during this time. In the meantime we have all forgotten about this slice of our pie also and so in affect we have accepted it.

Why do the actions of a cabal between the Ombudsman, FSA, and leading banks not surprise me? Well historically we are a nation of non-complainers and have let the banks (remember the Bank of England) make the money (literally) and set their own rules. Presented with a growing problem to their profits they have taken a great big pin and headed straight for the bubble.

The FSA and Ombudsman, those who supposedly protect you the consumer, have given the banks a way of continuing to profit in the way they have been thus far for a period of time that is very probably going to be years (see the clearing system for another example of the Ombudsmans iron fisted authority).

They know that statistically the amount of people who will see the news (particularly given the 'it's all over' style of reporting) and say 'oh well that bubble has burst' will be numerous, possibly more than 66% at a guess and I am guessing that those who continue will receive much more punitive treatment. We will over the years forget and so in affect accept it and make it yet another reason we need to earn more money to survive; whilst further re-inforcing the capitalist model that causes such.

Those who suffer most from these 'charges', sorry lucrative services, are those on the financial borderline of hardship each month and so £80-£120 in court fees to invest in a possible outcome and protect from the limitation statute is a far tougher decision compared to paying off possibly enforceable debts, such as that of my own recent experiences of harassing calls and withdrawal of facilities, and reports such as the aforemenioned lady's Son's withdrawal of overdraft facilities in this thread since complaining, and thay have it now sewn up.

We are, as consumers, seen as naughty school children to our banks, we have dared to challenge their rules and have had our knuckles wrapped with a ruler whilst ensuring they can continue to rule upon us by those who would say they are protecting our rights.

What is important is that WE CARRY ON COMPLAINING AND ISSUE OUR CLAIMS UPON THE PRINCIPLE THAT IT IS MORE IMPORTANT NOW THAN EVER. It's not complaining that gave them the environment with the FSA and Ombudsman they needed to ensure they are treated with kid gloves when the issue became too popularised and their interests need be protected.

I can only hope that the big guns come up with some ways to defend ourselves against punitive debts and use the FSA's waiver to the banks and stay applications to our benefit also. It is only right that if the banks be allowed to continue charges and not process complaints that our debts caused by charges be unenforceable by the banks also and be stayed whilst the legal cogs grind slowly. Lo I fear 'right' is a very subjective matter when it comes to international banks.

On another note to avoid the 6 year rule I suggest anyone who is thinking of reclaiming there charges, should send a letter to the bank TODAY demanding a full refund of all charges since the 1st August 2001, even if you do not no your figures, With a bit of luck when all this is over you should be able to go back to the date of the letter and not just 6 years.

That would make no difference, the 6 years run from date of filing claim at court, not from letters.

That would make no difference, the 6 years run from date of filing claim at court, not from letters.

I'm beginning to get confused now... :-(

Hypothetically speaking, if I sent my prelim letter to the bank on, say, June 1 but it's another two months, ie August 1, before I submit my N1 at the local court, are you saying I then have to readjust my spreadsheet to run from August 1, 2001, to August 1, 2007?

I have to admit I'm beginning to get a tad confused with everything that's going on at the moment but I had it clear in my head - at least, I thought I had it clear in my head - that my schedule of charges could/should appertain to the period identified in my prelim/LBA.

As ever, all clarification gratefully received

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

You can - and should - send all of your charges, because if they refund as a gesture of good will or whatever, SOLA doesn't apply. OTOH, if it went to court, and the judge ruled that the charges were in fact penalties, then SOLA would kick in, and you would have to be ready to argue the case for removal of limitation. I am in favour of claiming it ALL, pre 6 years too, and let the bank decide if they want to try and argue it.

But legally speaking, the 6 yrs run from the date you file at court, yes, so if you only want to claim the 6 years, you would have to adjust your schedule accordingly.

Are you sure? under the F.S.O. waiver, all complaints are to be dealt with after the trial on the same basis as if the waiver had not taken place...

So if you complain under the F.S.O scheme, the complaint will remain active.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I emailed Inga Kirkman yesterday at Abbey to try and negotiate an early settlement. I have seen others having success doing this when they had a court date and mine is less than 4 weeks away.

She replied withinh minutes, which from what I had read is unusual, and she refused flatly to enter into negoitation which I thought was strange now I know why. Might have to wait 12 months or so for my money.

Lloyds settled in full

£4010.02:D

Halifax CC settled

£417.00 :D

Lloyds PPI

£3672.15 Refunded off loan :D

Hi all,

all of this is very worrying,already am at the court stage and waiting for Barclays defence,then AQ,i was sooooo damn close,and now this sh*t... great favor the OFT is doing us here!!:mad:

Not as close as me. I could smell the money. A District judge was due to look and my request for judgement request as Lloyds failed on Monday to file at court and serve me with a counter schedule as ordered by the Judge. I was told several days ago before the announcment yesterday that the judge will likely rule in my favour as Lloyds faild to comply. God knows what the Judge is going to decide now on Monday

Hiya - Bookworm - I'm inclined to agree - I heard an interview in the small hours last night on five live radio. I think the banks and the OFT met first on this and agreed a plan - I think the consumers have been 'sent out of the room' and the banks are diverting, the parts to be looked at first are overdrafts that are overdrawn the agreed limit, re european law UTCC etc but might take 12 months!! -( couldnt find a link for listen again though.)

Originally Posted by Bookworm viewpost.gif

Are you sure? under the F.S.O. waiver, all complaints are to be dealt with after the trial on the same basis as if the waiver had not taken place. So if you complain under the F.S.O scheme, the complaint will remain active.

at court is what I said. You're talking of FOS complaints, and these don't really take the 6 yrs barrier into consideration, if some of the resolutions we have seen recently are anything to go by.

Not as close as me. I could smell the money. A District judge was due to look and my request for judgement request as Lloyds failed on Monday to file at court and serve me with a counter schedule as ordered by the Judge. I was told several days ago before the announcment yesterday that the judge will likely rule in my favour as Lloyds faild to comply. God knows what the Judge is going to decide now on Monday

Ok,that really sucks....i feel for you! good to know we are not alone in this!! I will keep fighting,am have scottish after all!!! :D

I just phoned Dino at Barclays and he said they would put ina defence to my claim and then apply for a stay...

Bookworm,do you think i should apply for a lift??

Well, you shouldn't have phoned then, should you? If you hadn't, maybe your claim would have slipped under the radar.

Anyway, they can apply for a stay, doesn't mean the judge will grant it. (although highly likely)

If they do, then yes, absolutely, we need to keep up the pressure any which way we can. IMO.

Well, you shouldn't have phoned then, should you? If you hadn't, maybe your claim would have slipped under the radar.

Anyway, they can apply for a stay, doesn't mean the judge will grant it. (although highly likely)

If they do, then yes, absolutely, we need to keep up the pressure any which way we can. IMO.

Didn't give them my full name,just asked in general.....

Isn't it all one sided? Shouldn't the banks have had to agree to not impose more charges in the interim period too...........and what about the bank accounts of customers who have been driven into the red by the banks charges, can't reclaim them but the banks can carry on piling the charges?? Where is the justice in that?? Maybe we should all lobby our MPs over the OFT stance on this......after all given the size of CAGs membership base we must be able to lobby every MP!

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

So now we lose the next 2,3 yrs of charges pending the outcome, meanwhile the banks carry on charging and grossing up fortunes whilst this government allow them to do it.

Jeez no wonder there are so many ex pats

I would have thought if enough people put pressure on the govt to at least process claimd whilst this is going on, they might just relent and order the FSA to withdraw this shambolic regulation

So now we lose the next 2,3 yrs of charges pending the outcome, meanwhile the banks carry on charging and grossing up fortunes whilst this government allow them to do it.

Which is why people should be encouraged to stick to their deadlines and put in their claims in. If people want to wait for the outcome to file, then yes, they'll lose years or face arguing SOLA. If you file now, and your claim gets stayed, then the date is set to that, and that's that.

Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute...

Regardless of the arguments for and against, how might this affect anyone who was asking for contractual interest (componded)?

I appreciate, it's a complex argument, but it has, on occasions, succeeded in the past. Any claims now put on hold will, in all probability, have gone through the roof by the time this is concluded.

Anyone got any idea how this will be dealt with? It seems to me if the banks can still levy their charges while a decision is pending then, by the same logic, contractual interest (compounded) should also be allowable.

Any thoughts?!

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute...

Regardless of the arguments for and against, how might this affect anyone who was asking for contractual interest (componded)?

I appreciate, it's a complex argument, but it has, on occasions, succeeded in the past. Any claims now put on hold will, in all probability, have gone through the roof by the time this is concluded.

Anyone got any idea how this will be dealt with? It seems to me if the banks can still levy their charges while a decision is pending then, by the same logic, contractual interest (compounded) should also be allowable.

Any thoughts?!

it seems to me that the Consumer Action Group should consider applying for an injunction to prevent the banks applying these charges while the matter is in court.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Ok,that really sucks....i feel for you! good to know we are not alone in this!! I will keep fighting,am have scottish after all!!! :D

You never know the Judge might still rule in my favour as Lloyds failed to comply with Orders from court before announcment.

Just a thought but has anyone thought to start a petition on the No 10 website to claim that the FSA decision to waiver complaints but still allow the banks to continue to charge is fundamentally against consumer interests or similar, hey if I was a lawyer I would have alot more money and less charges ;-/