• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

it seems to me that the Consumer Action Group should consider applying for an injunction to prevent the banks applying these charges while the matter is in court.

And to force the banks to process claims pending the outcome.

I presonally have got around £15K in court with Abbey & Barclies, now I have to wait 2 bloody years to ge tthat back. That's if the ruling goes against the banks, and I think there are now a lot of people now coming to terms that this just may not happen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought but has anyone thought to start a petition on the No 10 website to claim that the FSA decision to waiver complaints but still allow the banks to continue to charge is fundamentally against consumer interests or similar, hey if I was a lawyer I would have alot more money and less charges ;-/

Is there nothing in th Human rights can prevent them doing this?

And to force the banks to process claims pending the outcome.

I presonally have got around £15K in court with Abbey & Barclies, now I have to wait 2 bloody years to ge tthat back. That's if the ruling goes against the banks, and I think there are now a lot of people now coming to terms that this just may not happen

No court would order that:x

Ach, life sucks:)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

it seems to me that the Consumer Action Group should consider applying for an injunction to prevent the banks applying these charges while the matter is in court.

Think thats a very good idea - obviously the establishment aren't going to look after the interests of the consumer here - this is all about big business and ensuring their fat cat multi million pund bonus keep coming in.................. and we are all just supposed to take it:x

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

it would be interesting to see how many court cases today conclude.maybe there should be a general thread for feedback

lloyds S.A.R -sent 04/04/200

statements received 11/05/2007

prelim-14/05/2007 -£4987

lba-30/05/2007

n1-20/07/2007

Co-Op prelim sent-20/04/2007-£136.50

settled in full

goldfish prelim-27/06/2007

capital one -deemed served -01/07/2007

settlement without cci offered 17/07/2007

halifax prelim-17/07/2007

aqua--prelim-13/07/2007

welcome-prelim-30/06/2007

lba-14/07/2007

CI has already been decided at precedent setting level last month. Anyone who has managed to get it after that was just very lucky that the judge or the defence were not aware of it.

That was CI on the basis of mutuality and reciprocity. There remain other grounds on which it may yet be claimable - ie unjust enrichment as quoted in the Sempra case - though I appreciate this would be far from straight forward.

Take a look at this thread, especially the last three or four pages...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/97691-contractual-interest-precedent-lost-17.html

... be that as it may, this is not the place for an argument about the merits, or otherwise, of asking for CI. Let's, for the sake of argument, assume that there is a case for it. In those circumstances, what effect might this test case have on anyone who was asking for it?!

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

This is a quote from the BBC news website relating to the announcment"

However, the banks will still need to make a note of any claims lodged, and will have to honour offers to settle that were made before the test case and FSA waiver were announced"

Surely like in my case when Lloyds have filed to file and serve a counter schedule which was ordered by the Judge they cannot ask for a stay as although the judgement is not due to be heard on Monday they have not complied with a Judges orders so should win by default. I know it would be different if you were going through the court process and both claiment and defendant are up to date withthe info they have been ordered to supply.

Here's the BBA's reaction:

Banks join OFT in test case to establish legal clarity on overdraft fees

26/07/2007

Tomorrow morning a number of banks and financial services organisations(1) are taking the initiative, working jointly with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and the Financial Services Authority (FSA), to ask the UK courts to clarify the legal position regarding bank overdraft fees.

Court process

Banks believe the fees customers pay for unarranged overdrafts are fair and clear. However, this is clearly an issue where customers, as well as the banks, would welcome legal clarity. This is why banks have joined with the OFT to approach the courts for a ruling on this issue. It is unclear how long the case will last as that will depend on the court process.

Working together

The banks have approached the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to agree a way forward to handle existing customer complaints. The FSA has agreed to issue a waiver(2), with immediate effect, to suspend the handling of customer complaints on this issue pending a decision by the court. Other banks who are not party to the court action will be applying to the FSA for a waiver and as such will be bound by the outcome of the court case.

What this means for the customer

The FSA has agreed that all existing or subsequent customer claims for refunds of bank charges will be recorded by the customer's bank or building society but any decision about potential refunds will be put on hold until the outcome of the court case. Offers which have already been made to customers will be honoured if the customer chooses to accept.

Banks will be writing to the UK courts requesting a stay(3) of all claims pending the outcome of this test case. The banks will be writing to customers with outstanding complaints advising them personally of their position.

Angela Knight, chief executive of the British Bankers' Association (BBA), said:

"Establishing legal clarity on the issue of bank charges is of paramount importance, not only for the banking industry, but for all customers now and in the future."

"The banks have always been firmly of the view that the fees they charge customers are fair and clear. The court case will clarify these points and provide certainty for customers and banks alike."

For further information, please contact:

Press Office (020 7216 8970 )

Out of hours contact (020 7216 8888 )

Notes to Editors:

(1)The BBA's members involved in the legal action are: Abbey; Barclays; Clydesdale; HSBC; HBOS; Lloyds TSB; Royal Bank of Scotland/NatWest; and Yorkshire banks; and Nationwide Building Society.

(2) The FSA this morning issued a press release announcing the details of this waiver. This can be downloaded from the FSA website (see link below).

(3) Banks will apply for a Stay of Proceedings on all current and pending cases to the Master of the Rolls for England and Wales, to the Attorney-General for Northern Ireland and to the Sheriff Courts in Scotland.

Related Links

FSA website (External Link)

OFT website - questions & answers (External Link)

Are these ok for printing off for court?

Are these ok for printing off for court?

Do we think The banks will post a request to courts or could they do it via fax? I only ask as i was due to receive judgement this Monday after Lloyds failed to serve to me and file at court a counter schedule by Monday just gone. Hopefully being the weekend the court would not have received any request from the bank before my District Judge looks at my request

The media reporters should let people know that The OFT has in affect let the banks carry on with their regime of charges and delayed (at best) any consumer recourse .

This is just another nail in the coffin of this country's regulatory framework , just as Energy Suppliers running a muck with peoples accounts and Comms companies arguing over TV channels, competition can be seen as healthy to the consumer but in England it is becoming clear who the consumer watchdogs are in the laps of, lets face it it starts with the attitude of the Chancellor of this, oh no wait a minute, Prime Minister!, of this country.

Do we think The banks will post a request to courts or could they do it via fax? I only ask as i was due to receive judgement this Monday after Lloyds failed to serve to me and file at court a counter schedule by Monday just gone. Hopefully being the weekend the court would not have received any request from the bank before my District Judge looks at my request

I would suspect, but I am no expert, that they use a closed courier system same as Solicitors etc I hope you get the judgement you want though.

spoke with my local court-not allowed to advise but obviously once you pay the fee your in the system-no going back so no refund.aaaaaaaaaagggghhhh

lloyds S.A.R -sent 04/04/200

statements received 11/05/2007

prelim-14/05/2007 -£4987

lba-30/05/2007

n1-20/07/2007

Co-Op prelim sent-20/04/2007-£136.50

settled in full

goldfish prelim-27/06/2007

capital one -deemed served -01/07/2007

settlement without cci offered 17/07/2007

halifax prelim-17/07/2007

aqua--prelim-13/07/2007

welcome-prelim-30/06/2007

lba-14/07/2007

just spoke to Brighton County Court and Barclays filed their defence today.The woman said now it's the allocation questionaire and a stay would be up to the judge... grrrrrrrrr

Seems like all we can do is keep on fighting and pray the money-god has mercy on our broke souls... ;)

I would suspect, but I am no expert, that they use a closed courier system same as Solicitors etc I hope you get the judgement you want though.

Well at least the Court is closed over the weekend and i will keep my fingers crossed my matter is dealt with by the judge before the court receives any requests:mad:

if the banks decide each case on its own merits as they always say then surely they can't on mass apply for all court cases in the system to be stayed at once.......can't there be a legal challange on this point?........they should apply for a stay on each case at a time??

if the banks decide each case on its own merits as they always say then surely they can't on mass apply for all court cases in the system to be stayed at once.......can't there be a legal challange on this point?........they should apply for a stay on each case at a time??

Good point. Every claiment is not at the same point. If it is true that Banks are going to honour promises they made to settle out of court i can't see how in my case they can ask for a stay when they have failed to comply with the "Orders" a judge gave and i have requested judgement. I hope it is on individual cases ask i stand a better chance

Unfortunately cases are stayed pending high court decisions sometimes for years and there is nothing we can do about it.

A recent example is where people sleeping in their cars under the influence of alcohol who were up for drink driving went to a test case and all cases were stayed for 2 years!

Agreed. Can this be done?