Help needed pls Thames Credit letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I received a letter today from Thames Credit Ltd regarding an old credit card debt with Barclaycard from 1996 which Barclays have sold to Thames.

I rang Thames Credit for more info as I didn't have a clue about this alleged debt, I don't even remember having a Barclaycard! and the account number looks strange as its 13 numbers not 16.

I said I did not acknowledge this debt and asked for more info over the phone. Apparently the last payment made on the account was in 1999. When I asked for a copy of the credit agreement I was told that they didn't have one and it was very unlikely that Barclaycard would have it after all this time. Thames suggested I write to them with a form of ID and they would send me all the information they have regarding the alleged debt. They also said they will persue the debt to get their money.

I did have some credit problems around 1998/1999 and some CCJs were added onto my credit file but I do not know if this was one of them. I have checked my credit reference files today and there is nothing showing on any of them for this debt and any CCJs that were registered from 1998/1999 have now dropped off my file as they were all from over 6 years ago.

Since making the phone call this morning I have been searching through the forums for advice on what to do next. I have not made any payment on this alleged debt or had any contact in writing from anyone for at least the last 6 years if not longer. I have moved a couple of times and the letter I recieved today was forwarded from a previous address.

So anyone any advice on what to do now please?

Thanks in advance Minty

You can't un-statute barr debt, so it really makes no difference whether you acknowledge the debt or not.

I would send them the statute barred letter here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html template M.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi

Risi - I told them I had no idea what it was all about and did not acknowledge the debt at all.

Rory - Would it make any difference if they did get a CCJ against me? And is there anywhere I can find out if they did?

Thanks Minty

Minty,

Yes it would make a big difference if they have a CCJ as the debt would not be statute barred. You need to get copies of your credit files to check if there is a CCJ. The two main ones are experian and equifax. A copy of your credit record will cost £2.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Shall I just send the statute barred letter and see what happens?

Yes, if it's not on your credit files they won't have one.