Partial Offer - Unfair Tactics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote to Halifax asking them to refund £1144 charges and if they did not respond within 14 days I would take it to court. I have just received a letter from them 21 days later offering a goodwill payment of £498.50. The letter says if I agree I do nothing and the money will be paid into my account in the next few days. If I disagree I am to return the money. It is no coincidence that my overdraft is £490. I have had the overdraft for about 10 years and recently noticed when banking online that it state O/D limit N/A where it used to say £490. Although I am still overdrawn. Halifax are assuming that if they pay this money into my account it will effectively wipe out the overdraft and I will not be in a position to pay them back - therefore forcing me to agree. Also the telephone number on the letter is unobtainable. I have rang Customer Services and managed to speak to the person who wrote the letter. I told them I was filing a claim in court on Friday and they have until then to make me an offer of £1503 (includes interest) and i will not accept anything less. I have told them not to pay the £489.50 into my bank account but if they do I am in a position to write a cheque returning it. He is going to ring me back today between 2 and 4 to negotiate it. Their letter has made me more determined to not settle for anything less than full charges plus interest. In any case I am also going to complain to the Ombudsman about their tactics which are putting poor people at a disadvantage.

hi,this IS their standard response.it is not personal. they 'try' it out with every body. accept it ONLY as 'partial payment'. continue with your claim.if they call you let them KNOW IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, that you reject their offer + that you are going to court. they usually back down. just check your account + post for 'full + final payment'!!please do not stress yourself.please click on my scales, if this has been useful.thank you.sooner or later, they DO capitulate.sweet success.

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]if my response has been of help to you, please click on my scales. thank you:)

Thanks for the reply. I am not stressed just annoyed at their tactics. But then again, had they offered the £1144 without trying it on I would have been overjoyed. Now I am determined to stick out for the interest. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

If you want to continue (and retain the £498) ) - then send off the rejection letter #2.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Thanks for that. I have already printed off letter 3 which i will be sending recorded delivery today. I have told the halifax on the phone not to put the money into my account so will just reiterate it with the letter. Their offer has made me more determined to carry on. I will file in court at the end of the month (pay day) and will then commence the procedure again for money owed to me prior to the six years.