• Tweets

• That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
    • Received a call and follow on confirmation email from the police about my cabinets! They wanted to confirm that I was prepared to support police action for the matter and that I would be happy to provide a statement and attend court at a later date!!! I think that something might actually get done - it won't get my cabinets back I know that but hopefully it will put a stop to this so called courier doing this to people!
    • Around a month ago I had to send a sympathy card to a friend in GB. Logistically it made sense to buy a personalised one on eBay and get it sent straight to my mate, rather than faffing around getting it sent to me.  This mighty purchase set me back all of £3.05 (including postage costs). I was taken aback that, when it was sent, I got a tracking number.  For a flippin' three-quid card!  I had no idea that technology had moved on so much and that tracking was so easy.  The shop has feedback for 16,300 purchases so tracking must be easy & automatic. It's unlikely your case will get to court, but in cases that do this got me thinking that we need to aggressively challenge the PPCs where they have lied about the timescales of sending their rubbish and have no proof at all of posting - when it would be so easy to provide it.
    • Thanks for uploading the appeal.  It was a waste of time but well done in not outing the driver. Why have your friends paid £60 they don't owe to a cowboy private company that have no means of making them pay as they don't do court?  If they paid by card, as I presume they did, they should get on to their bank and do a chargeback immediately. We call the £70 the Unicorn Food Tax.  The law specifically states they are only allowed to charge the original £100 but the PPCs and their bezzies in their trade associations allow this made-up extra £70 so £100 becomes £170.  Unfortunately for them the law doesn't. Anyway, snotty letter time. There is an example in post 32 here you can tweak as it's the same company but a different car park   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/463964-alliance-anpr-pcn-lease-car-appeals-refused-daymer-bay-cornwall/page/2/#comments  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

no chance from Yorkshire bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

got a reply from Yorkshire Bank to say the usual that after looking won't refund any charges, I knew this was coming as the account has been closed for nearly 5 years.:o

But the annoying thing is they have banked the £10 fee and NOT supplied me with the SAR I requested. :-x

I have a few statements from when I had the account opened and I have managed to average the charges taken from the statements I have, by totaling the charges and then dividing it by the statements I hold and then multiplying it by the statements I would have if Yorkshire Bank had the decency to send to me.:D:sad:

I am now in the process of putting these monthly figures into the interest calculator on the monthly basis.

I realise the figure will probably take it over the £5k amount:rolleyes: , but will plumb for a little less to keep costs down.

I ahve sent the prelimanary letter and i am waiting a couple of more days to respond with my LBA with the non-conformancy template i have printed off.

Question is, do I put the Amount in I am claiming on the letter and inform the Yorkshire Bank that this is an average figure due to non supply of my SAR, as this would more than likely alter when it gets to court, as this is also beyond the 6 year thingy, or do I just send the threat of legal action pending the receipt of my SAR.

regards

chris

I personnally would wait for my statements and get the true figure but I have read of people estimating, its just I'd rather know exactley what they owed me.

Has the 40 days already expired? Have you sent them an LBA for your S.A.R stuff?

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled

yes the 40 days have long gone

and to be honest, because I am currently battling Abbey (already paid £1035 back in individual charges as part payment but told them if not accepted as part payment to take back) and battling Nationwide, I'm not at home with all my paperwork, so can't remember what stage I am at with Yorkshire as to LBA gone or LBA with Non-Conformance letter (I Think) so will keep you posted.

Regards

chrisking1962

thanks BM,

I will hold out for a little while as I have a bigger fish to catch with Abbey, and can wait a little with the Yorkshire as it is an old closed account and don't feel too much worry about this. Trouble when you work shifts, you don't get chance to reply straight away. keep getting called to breakdowns, but keeps me going through these long summer nights oop's sorry I missed it that was a week last thursday:D.

I do hope they hurry up with my statements, but if they don't can I still claim for what I have got and add the interest as per the calculations on the site.

regards

chris

sorry bigmac, I maen I am a maintenance engineer and "Breakdowns" are machine?production stop's for faults etc (usually operator error:D )

any way back to my problem, if i have not received ANY SAR from Yorkshire Bank, do I still wait, or do I go to court for what I have history of and when I eventually get my SAR and relevent statements per say, do I then go for a second claim.

And also do I inform the Yorkshire Bank that I have sent my claim into the courts, or doews the courts notify the bank?

I am ready to go to court for the 1st stages of the claim for just over £1k and follow on at a later date for the rest on a seperate claim, as I am doing with Abbey 6 years calim 1st, then on pay out go for beyond 6 years from the opening of my account as i have almost all their statements from opening.

Sorry if there are too many questions but I could do with some guidence on this as I don't want to wait too long as I started my claim with Yorkshire Bank back in April and I have already sent my LBA due to exceed its time limit in a couple of days then I go to the court.

regartds

chris

Hi Chris basically if you want to go to court for the statements you currently have then that is your choice. As it is against YB i would wait for all statements before commencing any legal action(unless you have the last six years and are awaiting older statements) to avoid any possibility of them defending any second actions. Any claim you raise you must be able to show the transactions where the money was taken so you cant claim for earlier until you get the statements.

Hello chrisking1962,

If I can inspire you, I waited ages for my pre 6 year statements and when I eventually received them (or so I thought) they were not what was ordered! However I then responded with a letter threatening court action and set a 7 day deadline to receive the goods or else... Well I received them within couple of days after my deadline.

It is advisable not to sommence legal action until you have the facts. So be patient.

thanks for that bigmac & Gogivit,

I have'nt received any statements from them yet, but only a complete 'Get Lost' letter, so I think I will send a letter demanding them within 7 day's as you did Gogivit, and threaten them with legalaction regarding non-compliance to the SAR. and I know there's a template in the libraries for this so, here we go again.

regards

chris

Sorry Bigmac, I replied without really finishing my post, as you quoted: "Any claim you raise you must be able to show the transactions where the money was taken"

I would have claimed for the months stated on my statements and no others, as you say, I don't have the evidence for these only average amounts as I have stated in my posts 'chrisking1962 v yorkshire bank' but through both your advice and Gogivit I will hold back from taking this route for the time being.

best regards

chris

thanks for the advice again Bigmac,

I have found the non-compliance letter and printed it to send in the morning recorded delivery of course as per all my others, Oh and I've got the receipts as well.:D can I add interest on postage:D :D:rolleyes:

keep you posted,a nd if I get an offer do I come back to the thread as per the Yorkshire bank Hull thingy as asked?

I know the ultimate descision is mine as I havent really thought about these charges as they are from a closed account and well it would be an early christmas prezzie or I can finish off my extention at last!:o

best regards

chris

Breakdowns?

Yes you can claim what is on the statements and you only add interest of 8% if it proceeds to any court action.

Hi Bigmac,

just aquick question on your quote above, when you say 'proceeds to court action' do you mean this goes on the N1 form at 1st application or when the court issues a dte for the hearing?:confused:

sorry if it is old ground but I'm not very good on the site, although I read a lot and remember seeing snippets in posts, but I've read so many it gets hard to remember where or which post I saw certain things on which would remind me, and have only got history of posts I have posted or replied on.:-| :oops:

regards once again

chris

thankyou for that bigmac, I'll wait for my statements as I sent my letter regarding non-compliance of my SAR and that I would seek a court order as Gogivit did.

Will let you Know how things progress when I haer anything.

regards

chris

just an update really, went to the court today to hand over my N1 form for nationwide (different post I know) and enquired about possible court action against Yorkshire Bank regarding non-compliance with my SAR and they advised if I was to average as I thought about earlier as a lot of people are doing this now due to YB being the worst offenders for not complying with the SAR especially for accounts over 6 years old,and the judges are now looking favourably at these claims. A bit wary so will give them a couple more days after I contact them before I inform them I am claiming on an average monthly amount based on the statements I have!!!;):eek:

Only thing is, as the account was opened in October 1994 and closed in December 2001 there is almost as much s69 interest as there is in charges!:rolleyes:

any advice on this?

regards

chris:confused:

Hello chrissking1962,

Again I would suggest you wait, as now that I am in receipt of my statements (1993 to 2000 period) the charges were structured more different and far less (though still excessive) than they were post 2000 so you going to court claiming a figure that is then way out will jeapordise your claim!

I am now in the position to decide if I claim the 8% interest or contractual interest for the period 1993 t0 2007!

But I am currently hanging out for just 1 more document...

Hi Gogivit,

just call me chris:p

thankyou for the advice, I have every intention of holding out until I receive them as theystart in 94 and finish in 2001, so its beyond 6yrs anyway. :eek:

And as for the old style of charges most of mine were for going overdrawn and they were initialy for £4 PER DAY and usually amounted to £35 - £40 per month and because I was paid at the end of the month it mounted up over the time I held the account.

I am sort of hoping it is'nt over the £5k mark (although I think it will be if you use the complex calc system).

Anyway, how long have you had to wait for the info as I 1st requested mine in April, and have gone to the LBA stage but after that I got the 'No-Chance' letter from them, thats when I threatened court action to retreive the SAR and since then they have said it will arrive when they get around to it. Poor things must be run off their feet.:D

Anyway, I am going to ring them on Thursday (off day shift onto nights) so will have a little bit more time to talk!;)

let us know how you get on won't you, and I will always take advice about walking before running! lol :D

reagards as always

chris

update,

Rang the YB on their dedicated phoneline today regarding the delay of my SAR and guess what it is only an update line:confused: , which really only speaks the words written on the letter sent out. What help is that. And 'WHERE'S MY SAR':mad:

Disgusting:mad:

anyway, plenty of time to wait, I am getting tempted to average and send it into the courts and gamble, but a little longer will be OK!!!;):rolleyes:

regards

chris:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just an update

Got a letter from YB today quoting the OFT test case and that they won't look into my complaint about the charges but will store it etc untilafter the ruling whenever that is. Guess what YB my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) is over 100days old now and it is'nt a new case it is ongoing so I want my SAR seen as though you have kindly banked my £10 on or around the 9th May, so I think you owe me my SAR.:evil:

Oh do you think I should add compound interest onto the £10:wink: as it could be deemed as a personal loan for a product (S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) which the seller (Yorkshire Bank) as not supplied me with the goods (Statements) as they promised?:grin:

They have also advised me not to put a Court claim in as they will request a stay, (as Nationwide have already informed me on my claim currently being processed at Halifax C/C.):rolleyes:

I will however draft a letter and post it for advice before I send it.

\keep you informed

regards

chris

So they're saying they'd request a stay in response to your SAR?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro,

I don't think, so as I read it, (unless I am reading it wrong) the letter states that ifwas to issue a claim in the court they would request a stay, i think they are not going to supply my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) as they will put it on record and it will be dealt with after the Test Case!:mad:

However I have just drafted this letter which I intend sending on monday.:rolleyes:

If you have any advice on the letter (ie DON'T) I will be very much grateful, if I need to tweek it please advise me as I have kept it as formal and unthreatening as I possibly can.

Here it is:-

me and my address here

Tel xxxxxxxxxxxx

4th August 2007

Yorkshire Bank

Advice Quality Unit – Charges Section

Third Floor

Brunswick Point

Wade lane

LEEDS

LS2 8NQ

My ref: XXXXXX/XXXXXX

Your Ref: xxx/xxxx-xx

Account: xxxxxxxxx

Dear David,

I hope you don’t mind me addressing you by you’re forename and not you’re surname as I feel this makes it a more personal letter as if I am getting to know you.

I would like to thank you for your letter dated 2nd August 2007 which I received yesterday 3rd August 2007, (how quick the post is getting one way nowadays) informing me of the test case which is now in process, or very shortly will be starting. I am very impressed at the speed as to which the 8 banks involved (which I don’t seem to recall the Yorkshire Bank being 1 of them?) have responded to the matter regarding of not processing any more new claims.

Whilst I know that during what must be a very difficult time, (I know what this is like as every now and again especially when you think you have enough funds left in your account to last till payday sometimes within 24 hours, only to find your bank has kindly relieved you of that option), and although I do have some sympathy as to the 8 banks request’s on the matter I would have liked to have had the same powers available to me during all the times you removed the unlawful charges from my account as you seem to have regarding putting a hold on the process of new claims.

I have never made a complaint to the bank regarding my claim for the return of the unlawful charges you have taken from me which has put severe hardship on my finances throughout my working life, but I have simply requested on 5 (FIVE) yes, 5 separate occasions to supply me with my Data Subject Access Request, which I gratefully paid you for with the statutory charge of £10 which you acknowledged in your letter dated 9th May 2007.

I have still not received this information as to which you will have had OVER 100 DAYS in which to have supplied me with, and as this was well before any TEST CASE was announced I feel is irrelevant to mine and possibly others also in a similar situation as myself.

Page 1 of 2

I believe you have deliberately refused to release the information I have requested several times and used the time to stall any impending court action I may take.

I am very disappointed as to your last letter quoting the test case to slow the process down even further. Under the data protection act you have failed to supply me with my Subject Access Request within the allowed time. You have been paid for £10 this on the 26th April 2007, you have deposited this on or around the 9th May 2007, you have responded in your letter of the same date 9th May 2007 that you then had 40 days to comply, today is now the 4th August 2007 and you have NOT supplied the information.

I have been extremely generous with the time scale and allowed you over 100 days from my 1st letter dated 26th April 2007, and despite a further 4 letters (5 if you include this one) you have still refused to supply me with my Subject Access Request.

1. I also note that in you’re last letter (2nd August 2007) you indicated that I could take my complaint to the FOS if I choose, again let me remind you this is not a complaint and I will not therefore be dealing with the FOS as you will also know the FOS are not dealing with any new claims either.

2. You also state that should I choose to issue a claim in the County Courts that you will immediately apply for a stay on my actions until resolution of the bank’s proceedings with the OFT.

3. As I intend to choose the County Court route, and should you request a stay quoting the above test case, I will contest this and ask for it to be removed due to non-compliance.

4. Should I incur more charges through this course of action, I will be requesting these back plus any further costs I deem adequate.

Just to remind you of all the letters I have sent you, AND of the replies I have received from you, I will put the dates in order as follows:-

1. 1st letter sent Data Subject Request 26th April 2007. (copy attached)

2. S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Reply received (your ref YBxxxx) 9th May 2007.

3. 2nd letter sent (Preliminary) 8th June 2007. (copy attached)

4. Prelim Reply received (Your ref AQU/07-0xxxxx) 15th June 2007.

5. 2nd Reply received (same ref) 22nd June 2007.

6. 1st Letter before Action sent 22nd June. (copy attached)

7. 2nd Letter before Action sent 10th July 2007. (copy attached)

8. Reply received 11th July 2007.

9. Final Letter before Action sent 27th July 2007. (copy attached)

10. Delayed reply to Final LBA received 3rd August 2007.

I will no longer inform you of any further actions, and would therefore request for a final time that you supply me with all my relevant information regarding my Subject Access Request by return of post. Should you fail to supply me with this information, I will start without further notice court proceedings regarding my claim.

Yours truly,

Mr. Me here

Page 2 of 2

I hope this is OK

Regards

chris