• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

We want our money back Nat West *** WON ***

wemfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hold tight Wem!

Natwest have a tendency to submit their defence at the 11th hour. I received mine on the very last day.:mad:

It's at this stage that they start making 'proper' partial offers (roughly half) which is really encouraging.

loads of luck mate and let us know......

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the encouragement Kate.

Just opend MCOL and found this;

arrow_big_header.gif Claim Description bank charges

arrow_big_header.gif Claim Number #########

arrow_big_header.gif Status of this Claim Defence

You are unable to take any further action online on this claim.

The Defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transferred to shortly.

What normally happens now, and how much longer does it normal take before they pay out??

Hi all,

We received two letters today, one from Cobbetts and one from the Local Court, I gather from reading other cases on here that the CPR Part 18 is replied to with a “no I am not going to do this, it is intimidatory” letter, with a copy of the excel print out of charges, counter copied to the court. And that the court letter (allocation questionnaire) has to be fully complied with.

Do I understand this properly?

If so, can someone confirm this for me and if necessary put me on the right track?

Thank you for any help.

Spot on:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Claim No: 1111111

I Acknowledge the receipt of the defence posted on behalf of National Westminster Bank plc.

I am not prepared at this stage to answer the CPR Part 18 Request. I anticipate that the claim will be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court.

However, for clarity, I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following accounts:

Account numbers: 1111111 and 1111111

Sort Code: 11-11-11

Please also find enclosed a breakdown of all charges I am claiming. This schedule of charges was provided to National Westminster Bank in earlier correspondence, and is based on the information acquired from the Bank’s own records.

Yours sincerely

• 3 weeks later...

You can request Standard Disclosure:

SECTION G STANDARD DISCLOSURE

I am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track. This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is, (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers), that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. This would bring a rapid end, not only to this litigation, but would also likely bring an end to much of the litigation in progress against other high-street banks.

And/or refute their contention re: lack of particulars (amend to suit)

SECTION G OTHER INFORMATION

The defendant in its defence contends that this claim is not suitably particularised and the statement of claim is “embarrassing” and shows no reasonable grounds for the claim to be brought. The Claimant disagrees with this contention entirely. The claims particulars clearly state the statutory and common law provisions on which this claim relies, and the claimant will of course elaborate upon the claim particulars at such time as is required upon the direction of the court. Further, contrary to the contention of the defendant, the relevant numbers of the account in question were clearly identified in the claimant’s particulars of claim, and a full schedule of the charges which form the sum claimed from the defendant was sent to Northampton bulk court on the day of issue for inclusion alongside the claims particulars. Additionally, the defendant was served with this information on two occasions previously within a 28 day period allowed by the claimant to attempt to resolve the issue prior to the commencement of this litigation. For the sake of expediency, I have attached another copy of the schedule to this allocation questionnaire.

As is known to the defendant, I am a litigant in person in this case. It is respectfully submitted that the contentions of the defendant are highly likely to be an attempt to distress and intimidate, rather than presenting any valid or reasonable objections to the clarity of the Particulars of claim.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just this morning received a letter from Cobbett’s, offering me £1500. In their letter they also state;

“Upon consideration of your schedule of charges we note that you set out in your schedule charges that incurred between 7th June 2000 and 4th July 2000. Under the Limitation Act 1980, you cannot bring a claim more than 6 years after (before?) the date on which the cause of action accrued. You issued your claim on 22nd September 2006, as such, you cannot claim for the first 2 entries relating to charges on your schedule”

My reply (not yet sent, until someone can say its ok) is;

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Cobbett’s

Thank you for your letter dated 20th November 2006, I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £####.##

I will only accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will continue to pursue recovery of the remainder with the County Court claim. Also I will not agree to your terms, it is me taking your client to court, and it is me or the court who will set any conditions, not you.

Your letter states that I cannot claim the first two charges, the 6 years starts when I first asked for my money back, not when the court process stated, there have also been more charges since the schedule was produced, I can of course add a claim for those as well. This would add approximately £140 to the total.

It is believed that you cannot go beyond six years because a reasonably diligent person could have known that penalty charges were unlawful all along, so it cannot be said that they just found out about it.

I would beg to differ.

While it is true that (however unlikely) I could have known that penalty charges are unlawful, I could not possibly have known that the banks charges were penalties. This is because:

A. The banks, to this day, keep the breakdown of their costs secret.

B. When asked for a breakdown, they will not tell reveal them

C. They say that their charges are not penalties.

For me, they key event was the OFT's statement earlier this year to the effect that they consider the banks charges to be excessive.

I trust this clarifies my position.

----------------------------------------

Does this look ok, or should I change it?

Thanks for any help.

Hi all, I got a "notice of allocation to the small claims track (hearing)" in the post today.

It says;

1/Each party shall deliver to every other party, and to the court office copies of all documents on which he intends to rely at the hearing.

2/the copies shall be delivered to the court by 4pm on Wednesday, 13th December 2006

My question is, what am I supposed to send to the court and does the bank have to disclose there costs regarding fees at this point?

If so this is likely to be the end of the line for my claim as the banks wont reveal there fees and so should I get the money in the next three weeks?

• Haha 1

You do seem to be getting close to a result now wemfish, but its still advisable to be prepared and send the info requested. See the link below for some assistance on this.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/33060-basic-court-bundle.html

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Can I add charges on my account since the court claim began??

You can amend the amount of the claim anytime up until the point where you submit your claim through the courts, so in this case I'm afraid not.

Supply them with as much information to back up your claim as you can, treat it as though you are actually going to court (you wont be), and supply the evidence that you would use.

One thing I am not sure about is that Cobbett’s have said that I cannot claim for the first 2 entries relating to charges on my schedule as they are outside the 6 year limit. Is this serious, or can I ignore it as intimidation.

They do try this on, they've stated the same in the defence on my claim. So long as the two entries fall in the 6 year timescale from when you sent your preliminary letter to the bank then you can ignore this.

I am just at the moment filling in the court bundle

In the contents, there is a section, 'statements' I have hundreds of pages of statements,

Do I have to supply all the bank statements to the court and a copy to Cobbetts, as well as keeping a copy for myself? Or can I just delete that bit from the contents as the important information is covered in the schedule of charges?

Got a check in the post for the full amount WooHoo!! :D:D

As we are overdrawn about 2500, is it safe to pay the check in to the bank?? or will they just take the lot against the overdaft??

Can a Moderator move this tread to the 'won' section please

Thankyou everyone for your support and help, its now on with the next account.

Is it worth sending a letter to cobbetts saying,

"we are about to start another claim, to save time, expense and trouble, why not just pay out now?"

A big Well Done, there's been a few payouts already this week.....where's mine!!

Is it worth sending a letter to cobbetts saying,

"we are about to start another claim, to save time, expense and trouble, why not just pay out now?"

I don't know if that will go down too well. LOL