style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

During 2006-2007 we had a cash flow problem, it meant we didnt pay the last few installments of our council tax. we were called to the county court and agreed to make payments to resolve this, unfortunatly we were unable to make all of these either so we were issued with a liability order by the council in February 2007.

At the bigining of April 2007 we resolved out cash flow problems and paid the outstanding balance for our council tax in full at the post office. The day after this we received a demand from Equita...

I wrote to them explaining I had paid the outstanding bill in full direct to the council.

Since then we have received many many letters from Equita all demanding payment and stating there agents have visited our house (my wife is semi disabled so doesnt go out on her own so we know they havent been anywhere near our house) and letters stating they are sending a removal contractor non of which have been realised.

I have replied to a lot of the letters confirming the debt was settled and called the telephone numbers they give on these letters all to no avail.

I have now given up with them they are just ignoring my corespondence, I assume they are continuing because they get no fee from ther council.

is there any way I can make them stop ?

is it dangerous to just ignor their silly letters ?

thank you for any comments

did you get any receipts that you paid . if so photocopy them and send them to Equita with final letter telling them that the debt has been paid and your sending the proof, also I suggest that you contact the council and get them to send them a letter telling them that the debt has been paid.

Guest Herbie

The bailiffs are acting on behelf of the local authority as their AGENTS. The LA MUST contact the bailiff immediately to inform them that payment has been made.

In addition, your family are defined as "vulnerable" due to your wife's condition. Pursuing you is in clear breach of the National Standards.

I would suggest also writing to the local authority to inform them that unless this is sorted out immediately that you will consider a report not only to the local government ombudsman but to the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV). This is the profesional association for all aspects of local taxation including the collection of council tax, non domestic rates and other local authority revenues.

A letter should be sent to the MD of the bailiff company. If you pm me I will provide details for you.

• 5 months later...

Hi There

Newbie here

I have had exactly the same problem with equita with a council tax debt owed to southampton city council which has since been payed off in full over 3 months ago.Equita were notified by the council and myself in writing with copies of the reciepts,but since that time i still recieve 1 or 2 letters per week demanding payment or they will remove my goods,bailliff has also been round and has seen the reciepts and agrees that debt is satisfied,but to no avail.I am getting to the point now where i am considering taking this complete moronic company to court and sueing for harrasment.What would my chances be on this course of action.How do companies like this get allowed to operate:???: they should be shutdown by the government as they are a bunch of criminals :mad:

Cheers

Dazza482

Guest 10110001

A new thread is suggested.

You cant sue the firm of bailiffs for harassment unless a doctor diagnoses you with a medical condition attributed to the action of the bailiff. These types of claims are conducted according to the Personal Injury Protocol of the Civil Procedure Rules.

You can claim your disbursements from the council for misfeasance. Just ask them to pay you within 14 days, then file a complaint with the LGO.

As you have already paid the debt (and I assume you have some evidence to support this), your complaint is on the grounds that the authority has contradicted Section 34(2) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992. The council incorrectly asked a JP sitting at a magistrate’s court for a liability order, and you require that order to be revoked.

You must ask the authority to revoke the liability order under Section 36 of the regulations and confirm this to you in writing.

Contact the LGO as the first sign of a rebut from the Authority, otherwise will get into lengthy and protracted correspondence. You can ask the LGO the authority pays you reasonable disbursements - its usually not more than £100.