austen v nationwide

austenpowers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

What a fantastic site and I can't believe it's taken me so long to find it. But I'm here now and that's the main thing.

I have a flexaccount with nationwide which I rarely use nowadays. About 3 or 4 years ago I ran up a large over the limit overdraft and suffered all the usual charges. My finances completely spiralled out of control for a couple of years and I eventually sought help through my local CAB and was put on a debt repayment plan. I suffered severe financial hardship for a couple of years but managed to pay off my od with the nationwide. Having heard a bit in the news recently about the ruling on bank charges, I decided to have a look and see how much I had paid in charges during this time and I was absolutely amazed. Despite lots of the monthly statements being missing I have found charges for about £700. In my haste I quickly searched for clues on how to go about reclaiming the charges I found a template for details of the charges incurred on another site and sent it off almost straight away. Now having found this site I wish I had taken my time, the letter I used did not include the £10 payment. Should I resend my original DPA letter using the template from this site including the £10 cheque, or should I wait to see if they write back and ask me for it.

Austenp.

Send the letter from here, and send the cheque and do it now.

The 40 days allowed for a SAR under DPA only start once payment has been received. The longer you wait, the longer they can delay. If you don't query it, they could just ignore it until the cows come home and then some.

• 1 month later...

40 days is up on Saturday and still NO statements!!! I've sent a letter reminding them the 40 days is nearly up but to no avail. I have the majority of my statements anyway, I was considering beginning the procedure with the info I have. I can't help feeling that the way Nationwide are paying out relatively easily at the moment won't last and I really need to get on with my claim. Of course I know I am going to win anyway but it would be nice to get it over and done with in a stress free way as possible. Could I begin my claim now and then add on any charges that I've missed off when I do eventually receive my statements? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the figure can be adjusted right up to the Moneyclaim stage.

Sit tight and wait for statements, or start my claim with the Prelimary Request???

Thanks in advance

I really must learn to be more patient.. got home last night and there was a card from the postie about a special delivery so went to collect it this morning and it's from nationwide... But...

it's not the sort of basic reply I was expecting. It is a very professional looking binder of what must be more than a 100 pages.

The first page is a letter addressed to me which starts "Further to our letter.... please find information as per your request. There are many events in the history of an account which involve manual intervention....." and there follows a long list of activities where "some degree of manual intervention will have been involved".

Then follows Section 1 which is all the Duplicate Statements. Followed by what is labelled as "Lending Control" which has a few what appear to be internal memos and notes regarding my account from last year when I finally finished paying off my overdraft. Section 2 is called Data Protection Manual Record which is a copy of the letters I sent them requesting the info plus their replies. Section 3 is called Jargon Busters which lists a whole load of codes they obviously use and what they mean, for example, the first one is A/C = Account, ACT = Arrears Collection Team, etc. etc. All very interesting, but is it really relevant??..And finally section 4 is Data protection Register - Entry Details which is 18 pages long and seems to be general stuff regarding the Data Protection Register, Entry Details and Information Commissioners.

All rather long winded and not the standard basic list of charges I was expecting. Maybe they are trying to baffle me, or maybe they were just stalling for as long as possible. But at the end of the day it contains the info I require so I will be producing a spreadsheet to see what the final figure is going to be and take it from there. Expecting it to be in the region of £1000.

One quick question, do I now address my prelimary letter to Charles Bacon?

Thanks very much!

TYped a huge post and it never posted ???!!?? Grrrr!!

Yes, address it to Charles Bacon. When you do your spreadsheet make sure you use the date your charge was taken from the account and not the date on which you commited the 'offence'. I know a few of us have fallen into that trap but it does make a difference for the interest calculation.

Let us know how much you are looking at! Hope it is lots :lol:

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

You put it in the spreadsheet and it calculates the interest for you. You can't acually claim interest before moneyclaim stage but you can threaten that it will cost them extra if they don't pay out beforehand.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

• 2 weeks later...

You might get a reply to your LBA but it may not be within the 14 days. No worries, stick to your timetable, then get the moneyclaim filed and your money back :)

Hi folks

Nationwide are obviously keeping busy as I'm receiving daily letters at the mo. Monday I got a letter from member Account Servicing saying my complaint had been passed to Member Relations, and yesterday I got one from a Member Relations Manager saying she had 8 weeks to reply and would do so as soon as possible!!!

They haven't even got 8 days, let alone 8 WEEKS!!!

I sent my LBA on 31st July and it was received on 1st August. So i will be submitting my claim on Monday. Do you think I should fax them to re-inform them of this deadline, or just ignore this ridiculous 8 week letter?

Ignore it and file the claim - get that interest back as well :)

Hi Austen, Just keeping an eye on your case - making sure you don't let any deadlines slip. Thanks for your support.

Me - Nationwide: Total Claimed £740.06 inc court costs

Prem posted 09/06/06, LBA sent 27/06/06 :)

Claim Issued 08/08/06 :mad:

Partial Refund 18/08/06:-)

My Fella - RBS Total Claimed:£671.75

Prem Posted 30/06/06, Prem posted to branch 26/07/06 :)

LBA sent 18 Aug - Moneyclaim due 01/09/06

• 4 weeks later...

For various reasons I only got round to filing my claim last week. It was issued on 25/8/06 and deemed served on 30/8/06 and the claim has been acknowledged today.

Hopefully I'm on the final stretch now, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet!

Your money will be back with you soon :)

Let us know!

Hi Austen was wondering if you had any luck yet. My claim was acknowledge by Nationwide this evening am really nervous!!

Nationwide

1st Letter Requesting Charges Sent - 31st July 2006

LBA Sent - 16th August 2006:rolleyes:

Money Claim Filed - 1st Sept 2006:evil:

Money Claim Acknowledge - 5th Sept 2006:-|

Part Refund of £79.02 - 13th Sept 2006:oops:

Settled in full.. short by £1.32 but not going to argue with that!! (541.02)- 14th Sept 2006

Halifax

Requested Bank Statments - 8th Sept 2006

Statements Recieved - 20th Sept 2006

Letter Requesting Charges Back Sent - 23rd Sept 2006

Letter Sent Refusing offer of £85.00 - 7th Oct 2006

Letter Received Offering Full Settlement (£170.00) - 12th Oct 2006

Barclaycard

S.A.R Sent - 19th Sept 2006

Statements Recieved - 23rd Sept 2006

Letter Requesting Charges Back Sent - 23rd Sept 2006

Part Refund of £152.00 recieved - 29th Sept 2006 :p

Not yet, I am trying to play it cool and only check my balance 5 times a day!!! I'm not really expecting anything until the end of this week, maybe even some time next week, but can't help checking nonetheless!! Maybe mystic dolly can be more precise?

You are on the home straight now with your claim and shouldn't have too wait too much longer. I'll let you know as soon as I have any news and make sure you do the same!

Nationwide seem to have been a bit slow at the moment but as it was acknowledged on my daughters birthday (30th August) I am going to say that you will be fully paid out on my birthday (11th September), so Monday!