• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

FOS or court, which one to use?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum previously been using the hbos one.

Dilemma should i use the FOS or court summons?

I recently got my statements through after months of waiting and i'm due just over 1000!Whilst waiting on my statements, I sent a complaint to the Information commisioners about the bank taking forever to give me my statements, and they suggested using the FOS if i'm going to persue getting my charges back!

Has anyone ever gone this route? i'm looking for some advice before i make the next move!!

I know i must wait 8 Weeks before i can complain to the FOS. Here's the thing-When i was attempting to get my statements back, a very awkward lady at the bank said i did not need these and she would inform the relevent dept that i was complaining about my charges!This was on the 10th of May (i have all correspondance)!Has she done me a massive favour and i can use this date as the start of the 8 week countdown!

Anyone have any thoughts on this or should i go the court route??

Which way is best??

Hi, Scruff1001.

If you are going to complain to FOS make sure it's within six months of you receiving the Banks final offer to your claim. If I were you I would go Summary Cause. I've won one Small Claim and one Summary Cause against Bank of Scotland. With the Summary Cause, the forms almost identical to the Small Claim form, but the court will return your forms and you will have to get a Sheriff's Officer to serve your claim on the Bank.(this cost me £15.75, which I claimed back). The court will send you a list of local Sheriff Officers you can use. The only pitfall being, if you were to lose your claim, you could be liable for the Banks costs. This put me off at first , then I though what the hell, and it paid off.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks for the replies i'm in two minds about this.

If i do use the FOS can i start my 8 Week countdown as the 10th of May (see first post)? I think i can but would just like someone to confirm?

If not then i mightuse a summary summons.

if you have correspondance from back then showing you were complaining about charges rather than merely requesting statements then yeah you could

[COLOR=blue][B]Defaultless since 2012 :)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=green][/COLOR]

Yeah thats what my complaint is about.

My Letter from the bank says (Dated 10th May)..."Thank you for your recent communication with our retail contact centre regarding bank charges on your account. We have started an investigation into the matter you have raised and you will receive a written response within four weeks from a customer relations manager."

Then on 1st of June ..."Further to our letter on 10th May 2007. I'm sorry that you have not yet had a full response to your concerns.

We're still investigating your complaint, and you will receive a response from us as soon as possible, but certainly no later than 5th July"

The 5th of July is the end of the 8 weeks. So looks like if i don't hear anything by Thurs, i'll be drafting my complaint to the FOS.

I would imagine so, you're claiming the interest you would have earned on your money had you had it rather than the bank taking it. I don't think you're reclaiming interest you paid.

We were being put of a bit by the FOS on the interest but it would seem that you need to make it very clear that you are after the 8% interest at the very start and keep reminding them on this.

We had this problem and the FOS who are now accepting that we want the interest and will try the RBOS for this, so fingers crossed.

Great i'll add the interest as well then.

Well got a reply from the bank yesterday - they sent me the standard letter that everyone seems to get (We think the charges are fair...you signed teh terms and conditions blah blah).

So now i can get my letter together for the FOS. Do you just use the standard complaints form thats on their website including all relevent correspondance?

So now i can get my letter together for the FOS. Do you just use the standard complaints form thats on their website including all relevent correspondance?

Thats what we used, together with all the paperwork/schedule of interest (using the template) - and make sure you include the interest and state the 8% rate (we hadn't) on those complaint forms so that your claim is clear.

• Haha 1

Hi guys thanks for the advice. Ive now added the 8% interst using the excel template from this site.

Question - There are two lots of interest both at 8% on the spreadsheet. Does anyone know what the second one is for (The one at the bottom of the list of charges)?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Hi guys thanks for the advice. Ive now added the 8% interst using the excel template from this site.

Question - There are two lots of interest both at 8% on the spreadsheet. Does anyone know what the second one is for (The one at the bottom of the list of charges)?

Any advice would be much appreciated

The first lot of interest is the interest you are charging them for holding your money since the date they took it from your account.

The second is the judicial interest, which is interest on the full amount from the date you lodge your claim at court till they pay you back. This is were the daily rate comes from.

Thanks.

I sent off my FOS form on sat. Only added the first lot and seeing as i'm not going to court the second lot prob doesn't apply to me anyway.

I sent it recorded delivery first class but it doesn't seem to have been delivered yet.

Deary me I hope its not went awol.

• 3 weeks later...

No doubt following the announcement of the OFT's test case against all the banks you'll soon get a nice letter from FOS stating they have suspended all investigations to see the outcome of the test case. I turned down an offer of almost £3k recently and I'm wondering if I made a bad mistake doing that :(

I knocked back £1458 as Im due £5000. I was just about to send my claim to FOS but seeing as they aren't investigating anymore whats the point? I suppose it will mean its on their register, Im considering raising an ordinary cause action, anyone know the pro's & cons of doing so?

27th April - Requested Statements

13th May - Received Statements:D

15th May - Preliminary request for £4780 sent.:D

16th May - Royal Mail confirm Letter received.:D

23rd May - Received Letter considering claim. :grin:

30th May - Letter Before Action sent. :D

10th July - Times Up!! FOS claim going in.

16th July - Measly 30% of claim offered as goodwill

17th July - Rejected offer letter sent

25th July - Acknowledgement of Reject Letter received

26th July - Screwed over by the OFT,Banks, FSA & FOS all in one go.:evil:

Never even felt it happen.