Council Tax Liabillty Order - Recieved ?? really need help please

rl123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have recieved a letter from my council today stating they have obtained a liabillty order against me anare asking for my personal details i.e job details income and outgoings. i Owe for this years tax £1200 in one lump and have no means of paying this in full, i truely believe my ob would be in jepody if an attachment of ernings was put in place. i can only afford about £60-65 per month which is a true realistic offer. is there a letter i could send that someone could help me with. any help or advice would be really appricated.

many thanks

rl123

We received a liability order from the courts for last years council tax. we got behind with the payments when the Halifax took all our money in charges (another story - one which we won in full!). I also got a summons for this years which goes to court next week. I wrote to my council and attached an I&E sheet showing we could only afford £50 per month. We got a letter back saying they want £125 per month. I managed to find the money for this months payment and rang the guy who wrote to us to make the payment, and surprisingly he was very helpful. I was quite stroppy with him in the beginning, but he still helped me out. Basically he lumped both years council tax together and spread it over right to March so although the payments are quite steep, they are a lot less than what it would have been if I had not rang him and got it sorted out.

You should ring your council offices and speak to someone in the council tax department and explain your circumstances, they might surprise you too. They are very quick to take you to court (I've only missed one payment for this year) but I think they know it will be easier for them to help us out than have the agro of debt collectors and the Bailiffs so I would definately ring them if I were you.

Hope this helps and good luck!

If they have obtained a liability order unfortunately you do have to comply with the request for info. Due to your position I would call and speak to someone there to explain the position that an attachment of earnings would put you in. By all means send a letter as well; I recommend you enclose a budget sheet ( link to one below ) to demonstrate that your offer is realistic.

If you are paying other debt in full eg unsecured loans credit cards etc you should consider reeducing payments to these to offer the council more as council tax is a 'priority debt'.

For more detailed advice on your whole situation you may want to speak to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 for free confidential independent advice

the above advice is very good, get a realistic budget sheet together and make a realistic offer of payment to the council. try and deal with them in writing where possible, if you have to deal with them over the phone ensure that you take the names of who you deal with and there position.

if you need help in drawing up a budget give national debtline a call on 0808 808 4000.

you need to move fast, local authorities are usually quick to enforce council tax arrears either via bailiffs or attachment of earnings.

many thanks for all your advice, i have already reduced my payments with my personal loans, in your opinion would they aggree to my payment proposal or just go for the attachment of earnings or ballifs ? its all getting on top of me know - dont want my two sons to see ballifs etc.

council tax is a priority, you might have to reduce your non-priority loan payments down even more to free up a reasonable amount for your council tax.

call national debtline or cccs, they can go throug ha realistic budget with you over the phone.

hi guys, i emailed my council and sent a letter using a template on this forum. they wrote back to me today saying it was accepted! cant thank this board enough. thanks again.

hi guys, i emailed my council and sent a letter using a template on this forum. they wrote back to me today saying it was accepted! cant thank this board enough. thanks again.

That's great news; really pleased for you! There are some reasonable councils out there so it's nice to have a happy ending...:)