• Tweets

• @BankFodder sorry for the delay and thank you for the lengthy reply. Yes, I agree. It's a small business and the guy is very very decent. I know someone else said my priority shouldn't be worrying whether he gets shafted but I'm not here to try and screw him over because I feel like if someone behaves decently and gets exploited, they might not behave so kindly in the future. I know DX mentioned he thinks I've caused the issue by leaving multiple instructions, but I have already explained why and both instructions were to leave it with a neighbour and there was nothing advising the driver to abandon the parcel on my doorstep. I don't think leaving it there could be considered a safe place.  I am still waiting on the retailer to respond. Ultimately, I wanted to know how he would proceed if DPD's response isn't favourable. I am certainly not looking to cause any problems. I just want my laptop. I will read the other posts for sure. I've been a bit preoccupied with family stuff. I have nothing in writing from DPD as I phoned them, but they did advise it should be the retailer that liaises with them. I tried contacting the driver straight after deliver via Whatsapp, as that's an option, but it said I couldn't send him a message and I have kept that log. We all know who took the parcel on our street, because that person has a history of parcel theft, but I don't have a doorbell camera or cctv. Police are refusing to intervene, despite the fact that I, along with several other people, spotted another's neighbour's parcel in said "suspect's" car and confronted her to get the parcel back. If the police had acted sooner, I might have had a better chance of getting the parcel back, but I suspect the laptop has long been sold on.  When the retailer responds, I will send him the link to this thread. Hopefully, he will benefit from the information on here as well.
    • @dx100uk none of the instructions advised them to leave the parcel on my door step and without such instructions., I'm struggling to see why they think it's ok to just dump it there.
    • I have checked. No recording was triggered by the camera - I don't have loop recording, only proximity and vibration sensor triggered recording - abs and since he took photos from afar and did not physically touch my car - no recording was done. 
    • He also useing he girlfriend to phone and mesage people as well
    • No TIC sheet with journeys history as I can see within the letter pack. Should there be one? Maybe they didn't look into it thoroughly?  No other pleading letter, only the one from above.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

mcuth v RBoS ***WON***

mcuth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Interesting that they're going to try and pay it anyway even if you decline (if I've read it properly). I haven't seen that before. They clearly don't want this one in court.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that they're going to try and pay it anyway even if you decline (if I've read it properly). I haven't seen that before. They clearly don't want this one in court.

That's the way I read that also. So if they come in the night and slide £10 notes under your door they can just apply for a judgement because you've received a 'refund'? (Your footprint on this peice of paper signifies your acceptance.)

does this little snippet from cobbetts' letter drop them in it I wonder?

Whilst this letter is written without prejudice save as to costs, in the event that you decline this offer, we will seek to pay you this amount in any event and apply to the Court for summary judgement on the remainder of your claim based on the fact that you have no real prospect of succeeding on the remainder of the claim.

are they admitting here that you have a real prospect of succeeding in proving the unlawfulness of the charges within the 6 year timeframe, and that their only defence is the SOL?

Although I suppose the fact that the letter is Without Prejudice means that you wouldn't be able to use this in evidence

oh and something else

how can they say this

Acceptance by you of this goodwill payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client and strictly on the basis that: -

1. you agree not to disclose to any third party the fact of, or any details relating to, this payment:

2. you write to the Court withdrawing your claim.

and then this

in the event that you decline this offer, we will seek to pay you this amount in any event

is it a genuine offer - they are imposing terms on the offer and then saying if you don't agree to the terms they will pay it anyway. what I'm trying to get at is if this is not a genuine attempt at settlement they don't enjoy the privilege of the without prejudice that is stated on the letter, as Glenn has recently pointed out to us in one of his claims.

I am no expert in this, as much as it might not be the answer you are seeking, this is IMHO, a valid offer of settlement 9just because we dont like it doesnt mean its invalid)

I doubt a court would see it any other way, they have pointed out their belief about your entitlement to claim based on Sec 5 Limitations acts and offered to pay. So i think that you cannot produce this in court without potentially causing yourself huge embarrassment not to mention the wrath of the judge.

And yes they can attempt to pay you, they could lodge the sum in court should they so wish i believe.

However, where i believe they are on dodgy ground is that for them to say your claim has been settled they would have to pay or offer to pay, the full amount of the charges claimed i believe, at the moment they are offering partial payment and therefore the claimant can proceed on the basis of the rest of the claim.

When it gets to court it would then be up to Mcuth to make his arguments about the limitations act and the principle of laches to offset the banks arguments.

Has this claim been allocated yet?

If it hasn't then the arguments are likely to be presented by the defence at the AQ hearing, if one is held, to try to prevent Mcuth from presenting all the arguments/evidence as to the unlawfulness of the charges.

Personally i would suggest that if you hasvent been allocated that you prepare you case for allowing the charges odelr than 6 years.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hit'n'run post from work...

As far as I can see, it's a valid offer under their (mistaken) belief that the pre-6yrs amount isn't allowed. However, I'll be arguing that most vehemently, and producing the letter from their client offering the £2711

It's not "Without prejudice" either ;):D

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

Michael

Be warned though, if you dont already know, that even if this letter is not marked WOP, it can be deemed so, especially if subesquent letters are marked as such and this one is deemed to be part of that chain.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Relevant Para.

Privileged, Without Prejudice, and Without Prejudice Save As to Costs documents. - Alway Associates

Without Prejudice.

Without Prejudice” documents (which are also “Privileged” documents) are those documents that relate to all negotiations genuinely aimed at a settlement between the parties.

Any communications which are intended to be part of a genuine settlement attempt should be clearly marked “Without Prejudice” at the top of the letter.

The courts have held, however, that the principle of “Privilege” can protect subsequent and even previous letters in the same chain of correspondence. Strictly speaking, therefore, it is not necessary that every letter be marked “Without Prejudice” if it is clear that the communication is intended to be part of the settlement negotiations.

The converse of this being that, just because documents are marked “Without Prejudice”, unless they are intended to be part of a genuine settlement attempt they will not actually enjoy “Privileged” status and they will not be protected from disclosure.

Which track has it been allocated to? Or have you already posted that and i've missed it?

No track allocation yet, we're just starting with the cat & mouse stare-out stuff :D

It's not "Without prejudice" either ;):D

Durrr - where did I get that from? Strange how I missed that at the end of the letter - oh well :rolleyes:

Here's my reply to their missive about the Limitations Act & derisory £95.00 offer:

Cobbetts LLP

Ship Canal House

King Street

Manchester

M2 4WB

Dear Sir/Madam

Your ref: XXX/XXXXXX.XXXX

In the Swindon County Court

{mcuth} v The Royal Bank of Scotland plc

Claim Number 6SN05490

Thank you for your letter of 16th January 2007, the contents of which I note.

Firstly, notwithstanding your claims with regards to the Limitations Act 1980, I would note that your client offered a payment of £2711.00 to be credited to the bank account in question in full settlement of my claim. I accepted this offer as partial settlement on an unconditional basis only, and that it must be paid separately by cheque. This chain of communication, and the offer therein, was not followed up by your client - I enclose copies of the relevant communication for your reference. NB - the reason that the offer was only accepted on a partial basis was because your client made no consideration of the accrued interest since the charges were deducted from the account.

Secondly, I consider your belief that my claim has no real prospect of succeeding, to be flawed. Not only am I confident that I will be able to proceed with my claim under s32 of the Limitations Act 1980, I am also confident that the claim will succeed for the reasons set out in my Particulars of Claim.

Accordingly, with this in mind, I accept your offer of £95.00 only in partial settlement of my claim, but I reject the conditions that you impose on the offer.

With regards to confidentiality requirements on this and any future offer, please be advised that I see neither a legal necessity for a confidentiality clause, nor any reason to request one. Confidentiality is a service which I may be prepared to offer, but this would be subject to a separate and negotiable fee. Until said fee is agreed upon and paid, I absolutely and completely reject any confidentiality agreement. I would also note that, as laid out in my Particulars of Claim, any payments made with regards to this claim must be made by cheque made payable to myself.

The above should not be taken as an implication that I am unwilling to negotiate a settlement on this matter - I am a reasonable person and will consider reasonable offers to settle this claim without troubling the court. However, please note that settlement out of court in a case that I am bringing against The Royal Bank of Scotland PLC must be on my terms and satisfactory to me

Finally, I would note that I am currently composing my Reply to your Defence, and this will be with you presently.

Yours faithfully,

{mcuth}

Cheers

Michael

• Haha 1

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Your letters are just fab! love reading 'em & I'm sure I'll be nicking bits (with your prior permission of course!) when/where possible! :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

Your letters are just fab! love reading 'em & I'm sure I'll be nicking bits (with your prior permission of course!) when/where possible! :)

Thanks chezt :)

Of course, you'll be welcome to them - that's why I post 'em up here ;)

Cheers

Michael

I'm still following mate, they seem determined to drag this one out but the longer they do the more intrest is added. I have a good feeling about this one. Now the other question! can I nick some of your letters, as it would take me months to draught mine as I am rather slow on the old comp.

Looking foward to your next update, Keep fighting.

happyolddog.

Thanks folks, much appreciated, I hope they do the trick :)

Happy - you're more than welcome to ;)

Cheers

Michael

Received AQ in this morning's post - it's an N150 (nice :rolleyes:) and I've got til 12th Feb to return it, with £100.00 of course.

So, if anyone can help out with this request so I can send in my reply to defence with the AQ, I'd be most grateful :)

Cheers

Michael

Received AQ in this morning's post - it's an N150 (nice :rolleyes:) and I've got til 12th Feb to return it, with £100.00 of course.

So, if anyone can help out with this request so I can send in my reply to defence with the AQ, I'd be most grateful :)

Cheers

Michael

I am still working on it Michael. ;)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

It's a distinct possibility - plus some other additions methinks ;)

I intend to spend most of this weekend going over the whole thing with a fine toothcomb....

Cheers

Michael

Good stuff! If you could use that then there will be no need to submit your reply to the defence just yet will there?

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Good stuff! If you could use that then there will be no need to submit your reply to the defence just yet will there?

Maybe, but I want to get my reply done and submitted. With them threatening strike out on the SoLA stuff, I want it in there and sorted before we get anywhere near any allocation hearing :)

Cheers

Michael

That makes perfect sense! Good luck with the fine toothcomb :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Hi. Am new to this site but am really enjoying reading the RBOS threads. Have sent of initial letter to bank requesting refund of bank charges for the past 6 years. Was lucky enough to still have all my statements. So will keep touching base as and when they communicate with me.

Hi. Am new to this site but am really enjoying reading the RBOS threads. Have sent of initial letter to bank requesting refund of bank charges for the past 6 years. Was lucky enough to still have all my statements. So will keep touching base as and when they communicate with me.

Good stuff, welcome to the site :)

The first thing you should do is create your own thread in this forum - then you can keep all the information on your case in one place :)

Cheers

Michael