Firebond motor insurance just foundout cover note was not extended but policy got cancelled

andy262000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a policy last september with Firebond motor insurance, recommended to me for a good policy for a performance car, after paying them £991 on my credit card they sent me a temporary covernote requesting proof of immobiliser and proof of no claims, I rang them and stated the immobiliser was factory fitted cat 1 which I can provide detail for and what should I do about my no claims proof as my previous insurer never questioned it although I do have 8 years!

They verbally told me not to worry about my no claims as they could find out for me, which I thought was good but then I got another letter same as the previous one asking for proof of no claims,  I rang again explained what they said they was doing for me and that was it.

Until I needed road tax and did the usual search for paperwork and realised it was an expired temporary covernote  I rang to ask if I was ever sent a full covernote because this was now february 2006 and I was informed my cover was cancelled in december with no notification whatsoever,

I went berserk on the phone after they told me I can have a credit of £351 which can be taken off a renewal and they would reinsure me for £600. I immediately got cover off tesco and I'm insured but surely what gives them the authority to cancel my policy without notifying me and then offer me a credit. I'm going to recover my credit but could I recover more because I only had cover for under four months which cost me £640, that seems abit unfair. Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Few questions...

Did they say why they cancelled the policy?

Did you receive a policy booklet? If so how much notice do they have to give?

Ask them why the money was not refunded immediately?

Do they record their calls? - If so, can they retrieve a copy of them?

To me it sounds like the 2 advisors you spoke to did not do anything when you rang them up regarding the proof of NCD / Security, and they are in big trouble..

Answer the above questions and I can give you a more definitive answer!!!

cheers

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

As far as I remember if they cancel a policy they have to send you a letter by Special delivery so you have to sign for it informing you that you are no longer covered if they havent done that then you're driving around thinking you are covered when you arent this is clearly unacceptable. Get in touch with their CEO and have a damn good moan about it

Thanks for your reply.

They say they cancelled the policy due to no proof of ncd, which was why I previously rang after receipt of a letter requesting proof of ncd to explain I've never been asked for it before and what should I do, to which they told me specifically that they can find out, but it's not something they would normally do, but I was sure from the conversation we had an agreement.

I'm not sure about how much notice they have to give me, I'll have to find my policy booklet, But I never received a call or anything in writing to say my policy was about to be cancelled.

I was a bit too annoyed to ask about why my money was not immediately refunded, they said I can either take out a new policy to which I refused or write a letter requesting refund.

Thanks for your assistance, what annoyed me most was driving without insurance because they never informed me of the situation, how would I explain that to the police if I had been stopped or had an accident.

OK

Firstly, they dont have to send out cancellations by registered post. Again, proof of posting is enough in this country.

As they have cancelled for no proof of NCD, you might have cause for complaint. Firstly, with Firebond, if it is an internet based policy, do another quote on the basis that you have no NCD. If they accept your business they cannot cancel your policy for not sending in proof of NCD. They should have written to you requesting an increase in premuim, then cancelled for non payment. If it is obtained through a broker ask them to do this quote.

Look on the proposal form to see if they automatically cancel with regards to lack of NCD. If it does say this, then they should have treated it as a non disclosure case where the technical saying is "Would a competent underwriter have accepted the business if he knew now what he did at proposal"

This means you said you have 9 yrs NCD, you have sent in proof for 0 yrs NCD. Do they accept drivers that dont have any yrs NCD

Finally with regards to writing in, load of c**p.

They sould adhere to the ABI Code of Practice, which says all complaints should be dealt with in their initial form - eg written complaint replied to in writing, verbal complaint replied to in the form of the telephone, etc.

You should get all of the money back from the day after they cancelled the policy. Try to get a copy of the telephone call. This is your best bet.

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Funny how every insurance company ive ever dealt with does this then, how can proof of postage be good enough when insurance is a legal

requirement thats crazy

Finally with regards to writing in, load of c**p.

Funny I thought this was a forum for giving people advice not rubbishing peoples advice.

If you have a complaint go straight to the top with it is not "rubbish" I wasnt necessarily suggesting this as the only course of action but if you have a problem with a company you should ALWAYS complain to the people at the top!

A telephone call making a complaint might go through the complaints procedure but it isnt going to hit the desk of the person in charge of the company is it?

I was a bit too annoyed to ask about why my money was not immediately refunded, they said I can either take out a new policy to which I refused or write a letter requesting refund.

This is what I was talking about - not your post. I take it you are not an insurance company, so you dont subscribe to this!!!!

The Ins Co advised that he needs to write in for a refund. As he rang them, they should have sorted his complaint out on the phone, no left it open with a comment like "write in"

• dx100uk changed the title to Firebond motor insurance just foundout cover note was not extended but policy got cancelled