• Tweets

• Which Court have you received the claim from ?  WWW.MONEYCLAIM.GOV.UK / Civil National Business Centre If possible please scan redact and upload a full page copy of page 1 of the claim form. (not the response page or AOS) Name of the Claimant :            Claimants Solicitors: BW Legal   Date of issue – 02/5/24   Date for AOS - 20/5/24 (submitted 16/5/24) Date to submit Defence - 3/6/24   What is the claim for – The Claim is for £170.00 due from the Defendant for an unpaid parking charge following a contractual breach which occurred on Sin the private car park/land at The Collective London Nw10 6Ff by the driver of registration mark, The private car park/land was lawfully occupied by the Claimant. The displayed terms and conditions offered the driver a contractual licence, were accepted upon entry by the driver, and subsequently breached. Driver's breach: Non-Permit Holder Despite demands, the parking charge remains unpaid. The Claim also includes £70.00 recovery costs as set out in the terms and conditions and in the ATA AoS Code of Practice. What is the value of the claim? 255.00 Amount Claimed 170.00 court fees 25.00 legal rep fees 50.00 Total Amount 255.00 Have you moved since the issuance of the PCN? No Did you receive a letter of Claim With A reply Pack wanting I&E etc about 1mth before the claimform? No   The Collective Parking Claim Form Redacted.pdf
    • From their website. https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/faq.aspx?p=terms-and-conditions#consumer-customers 12. Effects of cancellation / withdrawal If you cancel your purchase in the timeframes outlined in section 10 (Your right to change your mind after shipment) above you will receive a full refund including the costs of delivery (where applicable) within 14 days from the date of cancellation, except as set out below. We will provide the refund using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise.   Was it a change of mind, or faulty return?
    • leave aos for today cant hurt. try again tomorrow it often has hiccups. get cca/cpr running today! dx
    • OK, In post 10, I've highlighted 3 sections in red as suggestions for removal. Do we reckon this is enough to give them a clue, without giving them the whole gameplay?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Groovycaz v Citicards Citi set aside next week

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HELP

just had a thought, if citi dont file any papers into court and just turn up on the day, what do I need to do about court bundle, ive already sent citi and court the information as of the draft directions which included, schedule of charges, copy of statements showing charges, a statement of evidence and OFT statement, DunlopPneumatic Tyre Co v New Garage and Motor Co ltd, UTCCR, Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and other relevant case laws to penalty charges, but what about the rest, how many court bundles do I do? and do i need to send anything else to the court or citi before I go to court on the 8th, god! ive just got this mad panic on...GC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gizmo, yes the court stated rhat the draft directions apply which are for full disclosure, today I recieved from citi their papers which they intend to rely on in court which are,

WHITNESS STATEMENT

1 I, John alan Jones, make this statement in response to the claimants claim.

2 i am the finance director of the defendant and work at 1 exchange quay salford manchester M5 3EA

3 i am aware of the OFT's report referred to in the skelton argument of Briam Smith and the numerous claims that have been issued against the entire banking industry as a result of the OFT's findings that the then existing level of charges levied on defaulting customers was unfair.

4 As a direct result of that report and the threat of regulatory action by the OFT, I understand the majority of the UK's financial institutions have reduced their default charges. the majority have elected to adopt the level of £12 which was refered to in the report but two, CO-OP and Egg have introduced charges of £11 and £15 resectively.

5 Attached to this statement as 'Exhibit 1' is a copy of the OFT report "Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts". The Court is refered to sections 3.14-3.15, 3.26-3.27 and 5.8 far an understanding of the OFT's position in relation to how it believes bank charges should be calculated.

6 Attached as "Exhibit 2" is set out the basis of the defendant's calculation of the costs to the defendant of the collections infastructure based upon the factors which the OFT allowed the banks to incorporate into their calculations of such charges.

7 the defendand has included within its calculation of costs attributable to the failure of a customer to pay in line with the terms of the consumer credit agreement those costs attributable to maintaining a collections infastructure including; systems and staff supporting the process; communications costs for both mail and telephone activity; credit and risk policy staff; management; and facilities costs.

8 Prior to the recent guidance from the OFT regarding the correct accounting methodology for the calculation of charges, the defendant adopted as the basis of its default fee charges a calculation based upon identifying the total monthly cost of the business of all collections-related services and these costs were then apportioned to the number of fees levied and actually paid by customers. Using tha mothodology, the defendant's actual default fees per breach of contract were calculated as £27.42 although the defendant only charged £25.

9 The OFT invited submissions from eight leading credit card suppliers. citi was not invited to participate. Citi does not agree with the OFT's conclusions on permitted costs of breach nor the conclusion of uncollected fees in the denominator used to calculate the same and responded to the OFT as such. However a commercial decision was taken to accept the £12 fee going forwards despite our calculations showing the true cost using the perscribed OFT methodology being £13.47.

10 This does represent a genuine pre-estimate of the defendants losses per breach of contract by customers and is in-line with the factors and methodology which its regulatory body the OFT, has stated to be fair and reasonable.

11 With due respsct to the Claimant he offers no alternative analysis of the correct level of charges which the credit industry should charge. Without an alternative the defendant believes the OFT, which has had the benefit of the confidential submissions of the credit card industry into their costs, is well placed to put a reasonable therefore genuine pre-estimate on their costs which it has done at £12.

12 The OFT report acknowledges that default fees are not, per se, unfair and allowes that costs of up to £12 are recoverable to pay for such infastructure.

13 The defendants own costs are higher but for the reasons set out, it has adopted the lower fee. the defendant has at all times acted within the law and within the obligations imposed upon it by its regulator and continues to do so.

The theres a 25 point skelton argument, point 6 stating

The Claimant claims that the defendant is in breach of contract by dint of the application of penalty charges to the account. she does not state why she believes these to be penalties in her claim form but merely parrots a line of argument downloaded from one of several consumer action web sites which have been orchestrating these default fee claims as agent provocateurs. she seeks to recover all such sums and interest thereon, as if it was a debt.

Well what do you think of that!!! is this the usual...GC

Hi all

had a look through all the paperwork from citi and they have not complied with the draft directions as they have not submitted any true costs of breaches, any evidence relating of proof of costs, just realy going on about the OFTs report and how they agreed to £12, they also came up with costs of £13.47 and also said that it costs them £27.42 and that they only charged me £25;) ..maybe they made a mistake..GC

Hi Ice

This was something I printed off in Feb when I was thinking about other claims, im not sure how to link it but the http:/www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/641-case-guidance-notes

if you want to have a look its just telling the court proccess and what to do, hope this helps..Gc

Hi all

Court date tomorrow, got my act together, my papers duly marked and in order, will let you know the outcome tomorrow afternoon;) ..Thanks Gizmo and special thanks to Enron,..GC

Hi all,

Got to court and Citi were represented by an agency solicitor "Mrs Dawson" very nice lady, The Judge briefly went through my claim and the defence then stated that in view of the forthcoming ruling by the OFT all claims of this nature were to be stayed, I asked if the hearing could go ahead today as the current OFTs case was related to overdraft charges on current accounts and did not affect credit card accounts, I pointed out that Citi had failed to comply with the draft order to fully disclose true costs and that they had 2 costings in the same year of £12.88 and £13.47, however although he sympathised with my wanting to bring about a conclusion today, the general consensus regarding penalty charge claims was, that all claims of this nature were to be stayed for 4 months, at the end of 4 months if no conclusion he would be looking to extend until the OFTs ruling, I tried but he was having none of it, his mind was already made up before we went in:( ..GC

Could one of the mods change my thread to STAYED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. thanks

That's a shame, and to be honest I am surprised.

The OFT court case against 7 banks and 1 building society relates purely to overdraft charges on bank current accounts - and not credit cards for which there is already an OFT report in place.

Regardless of which way any decision goes, a ruling on current account charges should not have any impact on claims for credit card charges.

Mine was allowed to proceed because of this very fact.

Maybe you were just unlucky and encounterred a judge who was slapping a stay on each and every bank charge case that came his/her way.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Hi Enron

His mind was made up before we went into court, no matter what I said he had his mind made up on the stay, its a shame realy as the solicitor for citi had'nt defended a penalty fee case before, I asked her if it was usual practice for claims in relation to default fees charged to credit cards, being stayed while awaiting the OFTs test case ruling and she did'nt know.

Im disappointed my case was'nt heard today, I had a good feeling about it, all week I made notes and had everything in order but never got the chance to put my case across, Il concentrate on my business claim for now then with any luck that will be over and done with when the time comes to resume this claim..thanks for everything, il still be around and good luck to all the rest of the citi claimers...GC

Rotten luck, GC.

I didn't respond before now, because I didn't want it to look like gloating:(

Are you allowed to appeal against the stay? If so, you might get it heard by a judge with a different mindset. Just a thought.

Els

Rotten luck, GC.

I didn't respond before now, because I didn't want it to look like gloating:(

Are you allowed to appeal against the stay? If so, you might get it heard by a judge with a different mindset. Just a thought.

Els

Elsinore, you would'nt do that, would you! only kidding:D it was just the luck of the day, im very happy for any citi reclaimers whove been refunded, and hope there's many more, i think other claimers should be aware that citi could be writing to the courts requesting stays, ive a sneaky feeling thats this is what happened in my case, maybe i hould ask the question..Gc

It might be an idea to contact the court to request whether the defendant has sent any correspondence to the court recently.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

I thought of that Enron, we all know what depths citi would sink to , so they can keep our money, because the OFT have already ruled on credit card fees, even after the OFTs test case on bank accounts, it should'nt make the slightest bit of difference to my calim, cant citi see that in the long run they will have to pay me more money back in interest, and DAMAGES ha ha ...Gc

Think that they want to make the process as unpleasant for people as possible to put any other claimants off.

However some of us have become quite seasoned, and know all their weak points - why produce 2 different cost pre-estimates, and why be so reluctant to produce a breakdown of costs if your figures are correct....

Hi all

called the court office today to enquire if citi had sent in any correspondence requesting that my claim be stayed, was told that all the DJs had been notified from "above" that all penalty claims were to be stayed while awaiting the outcome of the OFTs findings...Gc

That's interesting.... sounds as the courts may have been improperly notified as this should only relate to Current Accounts.

Contact the person who said about passing your details onto Martin Lewis, and inform them of this.

Hi Enron, ive recieved email from their office and informed them that the courts are recieving the wrong information regarding cases being stayed, which relate solely to credit card claims, ive told them which court I was at and think its something they are looking into exposing, Il keep you updated..Gc